Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2161

Thread: Oklahoma liquor laws

Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I've been to several of these types of events and I've always felt like I got as much as I could handle.
    And that's fine. Just for me the price seems high with what I can consume in one session. I'd like to see these type of festivals pricing quite a bit lower. Why shouldn't the breweries take a little bit of the investment too? I remember when I had my comic shop, I shelled out several thousand dollars for "free" comic book day each year.

Thought this was interesting, if nothing else because Oklahoma didn't make this list...

https://consumerist.com/2016/01/27/8...uying-alcohol/

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Thought this was interesting, if nothing else because Oklahoma didn't make this list...

https://consumerist.com/2016/01/27/8...uying-alcohol/
    Oklahoma does seem to share some of those laws, but a few of them also make me appreciate, in comparison, our current laws, restrictive though they may be.

I dont discourage folks from going, but jesus... $40 for one ounce samples? There's no way I would get my money's worth. I mean, it's nice to give to the craft beer gods, but I'd rather spend $30 at Skinny Slims or Tapworks or Faslers.
    It's not the cheapest I agree and I sure wish it were cheaper. That said this will be the first opportunity to try beers from new breweries in planning, one-offs from local breweries (and homebrewers!) as well as a "not available in ok" section, which many people claim they drank their ticket price in vanilla rye bourbon county brand stout last year.

I dont discourage folks from going, but jesus... $40 for one ounce samples? There's no way I would get my money's worth. I mean, it's nice to give to the craft beer gods, but I'd rather spend $30 at Skinny Slims or Tapworks or Faslers.
    $30 gets you 4 beers at Tapwerks. Believe me you get way more than that over 3 hours at the craft festival. You gotta eat afterward lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    $30 gets you 4 beers at Tapwerks. Believe me you get way more than that over 3 hours at the craft festival. You gotta eat afterward lol.
    I'll take 4 12 ounce beers over trying to get 48 samples for more money and having to stand in line, thanks anyways.

7. Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

I lived in Golden, Colorado for several years, and there were (are) two breweries that I know of there. And even though Golden City Brewery was less than two miles away I would go to the local liquor store half a mile away 99% of the time to buy their beer there. Golden City Brewery even has food, t-shirts, a drinking area, and the friendly brew master and owner manning the place. It was just more convenient for me to go to the liquor store to get their beers. The prices if I remember were the same at the brewery and the liquor store. I don't think that the liquor stores will lose much money from breweries selling directly. Heck I saw liquor stores selling Coors and always having a lot of stock of it right across the street from the visitor/tours parking lot.

RLAO has shifted strategy now that SB383/SJR68 have passed through legislation. Both of those bills are now on the ballot as state question 792. RLAO's proposal is tentatively SQ791 but they'll still need to get all of the necessary signatures.

You likely won't see much from RLAO on social media these days as they are now mostly posting under "Cold Beer Sooner" a clever name as well as a strategy that will certainly confuse voters if both questions are on the ballot.

Here's a write-up from the Tulsa World discussing the two questions:
    http://m.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/....html?mode=jqm

Waiting for jerrywall to come in and say how SQ791 is better.

I agree with that blog though, I'm still going to support my local liqour store, and only use the grocery store for Sunday trips (if 792 doesn't allow liqour stores to open Sundays).

Like today it'll be a rare occasion when I purchase beer from a grocery store. I disagree with the distance restrictions and feel it'll be the downfall of 791. Then again if it makes the ballot I'm not sure how they'll make the distinction between the two...just the key differences?

http://www.thirstybeaglebeerblog.com...block.html?m=1

Apparently the RLAO isn't confident the public will vote the way they want them to so they are attempting to get SQ792 thrown out altogether. If that happens and SQ791 doesn't get enough signatures to get on the ballot we won't be voting on any alcohol reform in November.

At this point I'd wish they'd let it go. That being said, without knowing why the judge ruled against the almost identical state question, it will be interesting to see what happens here.

So after reading this:

There's also the chance we could end up with both alcohol state questions on the ballot. I did some research on that eventuality, and found out that if there are two competing state questions, the one that garners the better percentage of support would be the one that goes into effect.
    Just let them battle it out and see who wins. I would sign the SQ 791 petition if I knew where to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    I would sign the SQ 791 petition if I knew where to do so.
    They're still waiting on the SOS to give them a start date to start collecting signatures.

They're still waiting on the SOS to give them a start date to start collecting signatures.
    SQ 791 began Aug. 2. Ends Oct. 31. Differences: http://www.791vs792.com/

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/551...e8232672fbca17

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Yeah, I signed it a few days ago. Then yesterday had 792 folks come by my house, and tell me 791 was completely dead. Classy.

Yeah, I signed it a few days ago. Then yesterday had 792 folks come by my house, and tell me 791 was completely dead. Classy.
    Did you sign it at a liquor store? If they don't have paid signature takers, it will be interesting to see, if they can get enough signatures via that route and other volunteer ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Did you sign it at a liquor store? If they don't have paid signature takers, it will be interesting to see, if they can get enough signatures via that route and other volunteer ways.
    I did. I don't have high hopes for them getting enough. I've made no secret I prefer 791, but I'd be happy with the progress either offers.

I did. I don't have high hopes for them getting enough. I've made no secret I prefer 791, but I'd be happy with the progress either offers.
    Personally, I just want refrigerated beer and wine available at retail. Whether that's in grocery stores or only at liquor stores, I don't care. So, whatever measure get us that the quickest with as little legal challenges as possible is the one I'll vote for. Sounds like that may be 791 if the pitch is accurate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Personally, I just want refrigerated beer and wine available at retail. Whether that's in grocery stores or only at liquor stores, I don't care. So, whatever measure get us that the quickest with as little legal challenges as possible is the one I'll vote for. Sounds like that may be 791 if the pitch is accurate.
    Good point!

We don't want to be inconvenienced with driving to two or three stores to get refrigerated beer, wine & mixes because 'Mother Hen' wrote the law to discourage drinking while driving.

One characteristic about alcoholics; they will drink it hot or cold, full strength or mixed.

The only patrons the law inconvenienced were responsible drinkers and gave the retail liquor stores more business that they do not want to relinquish or share with the grocery stores--which would make some products you purchase at Liquor stores accessible to customers through the grocery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    791 is quicker theoretically, and there's no limit on licenses, so every grocery and liquor and convenience store could potentially carry beer. From a legal challenge standpoint, I think 791 may be on slightly shaky ground, although it has survived some tests already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Good point!

We don't want to be inconvenienced with driving to two or three stores to get refrigerated beer, wine & mixes because 'Mother Hen' wrote the law to discourage drinking while driving.

One characteristic about alcoholics; they will drink it hot or cold, full strength or mixed.

The only patrons the law inconvenienced were responsible drinkers and gave the retail liquor stores more business that they do not want to relinquish or share with the grocery stores--which would make some products you purchase at Liquor stores accessible to customers through the grocery stores.
    I honestly don't mind some limited accessibility, especially if it appeases the over zealous among us a bit. I just don't like not having ANY access to cold beer or wine at retail. Some say it affects our choices as well. I'm not sure if that's true, but I'd certainly be willing to give up the convenience of getting it at grocery stores, if that was the easiest way to get something that's impossible to get right now. If they can get it all done, then more power to them, but it will be a bummer if we lose out on the chance to change the refrigeration law because of legal challenges and licensing disputes that surround the other proposed changes.

24. Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

I read somewhere that 792 on the ballot is different than what was originally proposed. It is weaker. Anyone know what the difference is, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    I read somewhere that 792 on the ballot is different than what was originally proposed. It is weaker. Anyone know what the difference is, if any?
    Ask Stephanie Bice on twitter. She's pretty good at responding quickly.

Thread Information