Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma liquor laws

SouthsideSooner Guest

Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Are you saying that you believe a majority support the current laws?
    I've never seen any polling data or any other evidence that a majority want them changed... Have you?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Yes, or don't feel there's any major need to change them.
    The current laws are totally incompatible with the concept of small government, both from an individual freedom perspective and a free market perspective. What is the point in keeping the ridiculous restrictions in place? If the intent is to legislate sobriety its not working.

The current laws are totally incompatible with the concept of small government, both from an individual freedom perspective and a free market perspective. What is the point in keeping the ridiculous restrictions in place? If the intent is to legislate sobriety its not working.
    I'm not saying it's a good thing... I'm just saying that's what the majority thinks. Otherwise, it'd be a lot easier to get petitions through to change stuff.

Blog Entries

Don't think there's any data to support what the majority wants or doesn't want.

Oklahoma wants to become competitive with neighboring states; it doesn't look good when you have a situation where wine & a higher point/volume of beer can't be sold in the grocery stores; beer can't be refrigerated in the liquor stores or mixes for liquor can't be sold in the liquor stores.

These pre-21st century restrictions on alcohol makes Oklahoma (Mother-Hen Syndrome) look out-of-touch and antiquated with the current trends.

Personally, I don't drink or smoke; however when my relatives arrive they talk about how out-of-touch Oklahoma is with these restrictions on ordinary access to alcohol. I've seen them in tears they were laughing so hard until I couldn't help but smile and shake my head. My uncle transports 4 cases of Houston, Texas beer whenever he comes to OKC to visit relatives. He says he doesn't have time for Oklahome's foolishness.

That just seems silly. We have more liquor stores and density of liquor stores than just about anywhere else in the country. Accessibility is NOT a problem. I have an easier time buying beer and liquor here than I do in much of Texas.

I mean, I'd love to see some improvements to our laws, but people who are overly dramatic and pull hair and gnash teeth and act like we're in some horror wasteland of laws haven't spent enough time in other states. I'm mean, sure, there are some states where the laws are better in some ways, and some that are totally libertarian and some where they're much worse.

At least private owners can own liquor stores here, and they're not all owned by the state. At least we can buy cases of beer, and aren't limited to individual bottles. I mean, there are some really, really, really stupid liquor laws out there and many of them are in fairly blue/progressive states. There are a variety of laws across the country, and on balance I'd say we're somewhere in the middle of the pack in the restrictiveness of them.

6. Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I believe the majority are indifferent and/or in informed regarding options.
    That was supposed to read "UNinformed". Thanks, iPad!

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Personally, I don't drink or smoke; however when my relatives arrive they talk about how out-of-touch Oklahoma is with these restrictions on ordinary access to alcohol. I've seen them in tears they were laughing so hard until I couldn't help but smile and shake my head. My uncle transports 4 cases of Houston, Texas beer whenever he comes to OKC to visit relatives. He says he doesn't have time for Oklahome's foolishness.
    It wasn't that long ago (less than 10 years) that Dallas County still had wet/dry areas by voting district. That has to rank up there with silliness.

At least private owners can own liquor stores here, and they're not all owned by the state. At least we can buy cases of beer, and aren't limited to individual bottles. I mean, there are some really, really, really stupid liquor laws out there and many of them are in fairly blue/progressive states. There are a variety of laws across the country, and on balance I'd say we're somewhere in the middle of the pack in the restrictiveness of them.
    According to Wiki and some other sources there are 18 states with some form of state owned liquor distribution although the level of it varies. My father said when he was stationed in Virginia in the early 60's the state owned package stores had everything in the back and you had to tell them what you wanted and they would go back and get it. One place only sold the little airplane bottles but I can't remember where that was. Liquor sales didn't become privatized in Washington state until June 2012.

Wikipedia - Alcoholic beverage control state

The eighteen control or monopoly jurisdictions as of June 2012 are:
    Alabama – Liquor stores are state-run or on-premise establishments with a special off-premise license.[2]

Idaho – Maintains a monopoly over sales of beverages with greater than 16% ABV.

Iowa – All spirits are sold to privately owned retailers by the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division. Beer and wine can be sold by private license-holders.[3]

Maine – State-contracted to private businesses for commission.

Maryland – Private liquor stores sell beer, wine, and spirits in most of the state. However under state law, Montgomery, Somerset and Wicomico counties are county alcohol-controlled, which mandates that off-premise liquor sales are to be conducted only at county-owned and operated stores. An exception exists in Montgomery County, in that four grocery stores have grandfathered licenses.[4] Until 2008, Dorchester County was an alcohol control county until the County Council voted to permanently close the county owned liquor dispensaries, with subsequent change in the state law.[5] Until July, 2014, Worcester was an alcohol control county until the Maryland General Assembly abolished the Liquor Control Board by statute, replacing it with the Department of Liquor Control.[6]

Michigan – Does not operate retail outlets, but maintains a monopoly over wholesaling of distilled spirits only.

Mississippi – State-contracted liquor stores.

Montana – State-contracted liquor stores, modeled after the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission.[7]

New Hampshire – Beer and wine can be sold at supermarkets and convenience stores. Spirits and liqueurs are sold only in state-run liquor stores.

North Carolina – Beer and wine can be sold in supermarkets and convenience stores. Other spirits must be sold in liquor stores owned by local ABC boards. The State ABC Commission controls wholesale distribution and oversees local ABC boards. Prices for bottles of liquor are specified by the North Carolina ABC Commission and are the same throughout the state. The price list is updated quarterly. "Sales" on certain liquors are held monthly, and all ABC outlets in the state use the same special pricing. "Holiday" or "gift" packages, typically released by distillers around Thanksgiving and Christmas, are sold at the same price as standard bottles of the enclosed liquor, regardless of the included accessories (flasks, rocks glasses, shot glasses, cocktail shakers, etc.).

Ohio – Appoints businesses to sell liquor, as agents of the state, for a commission. These stores have a monopoly on sales of beverages with an alcohol content equal to or greater than 21.5% ABV (43 proof). Beer, wine, mixed alcoholic beverages, and "low proof" alcohol are sold by the aforementioned contract liquor agencies as well as by businesses (bars, restaurants, convenience stores, and gasoline/convenience store retailers) which have been issued an annual permit to sell. Privileges (such as sale for carryout only, or for consumption on the premises) and hours during which sales are allowed are dependent on the terms of the permit.

Oregon – Beer and wine can be sold in supermarkets and convenience stores. Other spirits must be sold in liquor stores operated and managed by state-appointed liquor agents who act as independent contractors under the supervision of the OLCC.

Pennsylvania – All wine and spirits are sold in Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board stores, known as 'State Stores'. Malt beverages are sold in case lots by licensed beer retailers known as 'distributors', and in smaller quantities by on-premise establishments. The number of licenses to serve alcohol (including beer and wine) in restaurants is limited based on county populations.[8]

Utah – All beverages over 3.2% ABW (4.0% ABV) are sold in state-run stores, Utah code 5(a)(i).[9]

Vermont – Liquor stores are state-contracted and licensed.

Virginia – Beer and wine ≤14% ABV is sold at supermarkets and convenience stores. All liquor stores are run by the state.

West Virginia – Does not operate retail outlets, but maintains a monopoly over wholesaling of distilled spirits only.

Wyoming – Does not operate retail outlets. Maintains monopoly on wholesale importation. Although licenses are issued by local licensing authorities, all liquor licenses must be approved by the state, and licenses are limited by population density.[10]

Several municipalities in Minnesota and South Dakota are also control jurisdictions, where the revenue generated from alcohol sales goes directly to the municipality.

About one-quarter of the United States population lives in liquor control or government monopoly states.

Yes, or don't feel there's any major need to change them.
    Oklahoma has never had much of a drinking or bar culture, since alcohol was prohibited at statehood and stayed that way until 1959. If you seldom, if ever drink anything stronger than beer, it's likely any liquor's store legal inability to sell bottle openers and other paraphernalia is going to rank around 9999 on your list of issues to be concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Oklahoma has never had much of a legal drinking or bar culture, since alcohol was prohibited at statehood and stayed that way until 1959....
    Fixed that for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It wasn't that long ago (less than 10 years) that Dallas County still had wet/dry areas by voting district. That has to rank up there with silliness.
    Dallas is a true dilemma; especially the area near the campus of SMU.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Dallas is a true dilemma; especially the area near the campus of SMU.
    Laramie, what do you mean? I did my undergraduate down there from 88-92 and don't remember anything odd with respect to the drinking laws. But it could be that I just don't remember.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it was around SMU but University Park/Highland Park may have some local rules that didn't apply to the City of Dallas. I lived around Forest Lane-635-Audelia in 91-93 and I was in a dry area except for the Unicard bars/restaurants. I had to go to Buckingham or Greenville just south of Royal Oaks Country Club to buy anything for the house. When the Sam's Club moved from Garland off 635 to Greenville & Park Lane that was nice because they were able to add beer & wine.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure how it was around SMU but University Park/Highland Park may have some local rules that didn't apply to the City of Dallas. I lived around Forest Lane-635-Audelia in 91-93 and I was in a dry area except for the Unicard bars/restaurants. I had to go to Buckingham or Greenville just south of Royal Oaks Country Club to buy anything for the house. When the Sam's Club moved from Garland off 635 to Greenville & Park Lane that was nice because they were able to add beer & wine.
    Yeah, that may very well have been. And I was underage until midway through Junior year anyway, so the alcohol I consumed was purchased/provided by someone other than myself. I do remember those Unicard restaurants, though. That was weird.

What if boils down to is that if you want change in government policy in Oklahoma, you have to have to be one of very many who wants it. At this same time last year many state legislators would have thought, "You have got to be kidding", if told they would be voting to end Common Core in Oklahoma. But thanks to many citizens contacting their legislators as the session when on, they decided Common Core had to go.

Geez I see bchris has painted this whole thread with his whole "Christian right is holding Oklahoma back" mantra. Maybe it's because I'm Lutheran but the religious conservatives I know enjoy a good drink.

If we allow refrigeration in liqour stores them grocery should get more than 3.2 options. Liqour stores should also be able to sell set ups and food should they want (see Specs in Houston)

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Geez I see bchris has painted this whole thread with his whole "Christian right is holding Oklahoma back" mantra. Maybe it's because I'm Lutheran but the religious conservatives I know enjoy a good drink.
    Most of the religious conservatives I know, especially the younger ones, also enjoy beer. It isn't all religious people or evangelicals holding the state back on this issue. It's the conservative base, consisting of mostly people over 60 who the state GOP must pander to that are the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post

If we allow refrigeration in liqour stores them grocery should get more than 3.2 options. Liqour stores should also be able to sell set ups and food should they want (see Specs in Houston)

Most of the religious conservatives I know, especially the younger ones, also enjoy beer. It isn't all religious people or evangelicals holding the state back on this issue. It's the conservative base, consisting of mostly people over 60 who the state GOP must pander to that are the issue.
    My pastor is over 60 and brews his own

Proposed bill would allow refrigeration in liquor stores | News OK

YES PLEASE!

What are the chances of this actually being passed?

A step in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post
    A step in the right direction
    If this passes, the only thing that will be left in terms of restrictions for consumers is later closing times and Sunday sales. The cold beer restriction is the absolute worst and dumbest part of Oklahoma's liquor laws. If this passes, it will be a HUGE step.

Proposed bill would allow refrigeration in liquor stores | News OK

YES PLEASE!

What are the chances of this actually being passed?
    Don't get your hopes up. I am excited for several bills that have been introduced so far, but I'm trying to get too excited.

The way it's being worded helps it, I think. The definition of beer in title 37 is rather ambiguous if I remember right. Likewise I'm not sure if room temperature is defined, since the bill states "chilled to a temperature that is below room temperature".

That said at least there's something happening!

24. Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

If this passes, the only thing that will be left in terms of restrictions for consumers is later closing times and Sunday sales. The cold beer restriction is the absolute worst and dumbest part of Oklahoma's liquor laws. If this passes, it will be a HUGE step.
    And sales in grocery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    And sales in grocery stores.
    True. Thing is though, from a consumer perspective why would you absolutely need grocery store sales if liquor stores could refrigerate beer as well as be open late and Sundays? Most people in OKC have easier access to a liquor store than a grocery store. From a consumer perspective, making those changes would really be all that's necessary for the sake of convenience. I would ultimately like to see grocery store sales, but that is more due to the fact it could help bring nicer and more diverse grocery options to OKC, plus free up the market, rather than it granting much added convenience.

Thread Information