Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer Woman on Throwdown with Bobby Flay

Default Pioneer Woman on Throwdown with Bobby Flay

Throwdown! with Bobby Flay

What happens when you combine a pinch of city, a dash of country and a scrumptious Thanksgiving Feast? You get Pioneer Woman. Meet Ree Drummond, former city slicker turned cowgirl. Do not be fooled by her sweet face — Ree makes a mean, hard to beat Thanksgiving feast with all the fixings. We’re sure city slicker Chef Flay has his work cut out for him in this exciting Thanksgiving Throwdown!
    Airing Nov 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM ET/PT

Also note that this episode is an hour long, not your usual 30-minute Throwdown.

Default Re: Pioneer Woman on Throwdown with Bobby Flay

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Throwdown! with Bobby Flay

What happens when you combine a pinch of city, a dash of country and a scrumptious Thanksgiving Feast? You get Pioneer Woman. Meet Ree Drummond, former city slicker turned cowgirl. Do not be fooled by her sweet face — Ree makes a mean, hard to beat Thanksgiving feast with all the fixings. We’re sure city slicker Chef Flay has his work cut out for him in this exciting Thanksgiving Throwdown!
    Airing Nov 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM ET/PT

Also note that this episode is an hour long, not your usual 30-minute Throwdown.
    I'm not familiar with Ree Drummond. Is she someone local?

3. Default Re: Pioneer Woman on Throwdown with Bobby Flay

She is a well-known blogger who lives on a cattle ranch in NE Oklahoma. She homeschools her four kids (because they are fairly far out) and her husband runs the ranch. She puts out some delicious recipes on her blog, along with some nifty photography and funny stories about ranch life. Every recipe of hers I have tried has been amazing.
    Still corrupting young minds

Myself and a few others were fortunate enough to be at the taping of the show...WOW!! You need to watch this next Wednesday, Ree Drummond is a natural and handles herself very well in the company of Bobby Flay. Her recipes are amazing...simple is best!

I looked her up and went through her blog and I really like the recipes and her humor. I'll be following it now... thanks for the post

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be tuning in...

I absolutely love her recipes. Each step has a photo and her comments crack me up....She doesn't make the average person feel like an idiot for not know what a specifc cooking term/ingredient is like some of the more famous chef recipes.

MadMonk Guest

Tuck, is the show as contrived in person as it seems to be on TV? I'm not a big fan of Bobby Flay. He seems very arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Tuck, is the show as contrived in person as it seems to be on TV? I'm not a big fan of Bobby Flay. He seems very arrogant.
    The show was a blast...we were totally surprised to se Bobby Flay show up in the kitchen. He isn't arrogant one bit; gave props to Ree many times as well as admitted faults in his dishes.

Nice to see the credit for them - and great examples for Oklahoma. The backstory isn't blog fiction - Ladd is as much a true cowboy as you'll ever meet and Ree is every bit as impressive as you might imagine - and her food is awesome.

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    The show was a blast...we were totally surprised to se Bobby Flay show up in the kitchen. He isn't arrogant one bit; gave props to Ree many times as well as admitted faults in his dishes.
    Glad to hear that. I guess it's just my perception of him on TV then.

I see the total opposite when I watch him. On Iron Chef and Throwdown he is always laughing and having fun and seems very humble. IMO.

From her namesake website

I'm the wife of a rugged cowboy. I'm the mother of four spirited children. I have horse poop on my porch. I'm Ree Drummond, also known as The Pioneer Woman. You can read more about my adventures, my cooking, and my photography on my crazy website, ThePioneerWoman.com.
    I like her already.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    From her namesake website

I like her already.

I like her but her husband does come from money. If you know anything about Northern Oklahoma there are large cattle ranches and there have been for a long time. Ree married a Drummond. The Drummond's have a long history of wealth in this state. Just look at Oklahoma State university. Kerr/Drummond, one of the Student housing buildings.

Now having said that I do like Ree and she lives on a very large cattle ranch. I think she is refreshing and shows the world a part of Oklahoma with class!

I will look forward to the show!.

Quote Originally Posted by icemncmth View Post
    I like her but her husband does come from money.
    You seem to be saying that anyone who "comes from money" is automatically disqualified for serious consideration of his or her own accomplishments or lack thereof.

15. Default Re: Pioneer Woman on Throwdown with Bobby Flay

So what if she "comes from money?" It doesn't mean that she and her husband don't work hard for everything they have. She might have put money into the designing of the site and yes, she has nice things, but her recipes are not expensive to make and she seems very kind. I say good for her.

I have a tremendous amount of admiration for anyone who can make it ranching and/or farming or just hold on to land for more than a generation or two for that matter. Tough business.

17. Default Re: Pioneer Woman on Throwdown with Bobby Flay

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I have a tremendous amount of admiration for anyone who can make it ranching and/or farming or just hold on to land for more than a generation or two for that matter. Tough business.
    Ditto this, 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    Very tough business. Farmers and Ranchers are the greatest of gamblers because so much is out of their control and they just have to hope and/or pray.

I've got a girlfriend who is a rancher up north of Ponca and I recall her telling me decades ago that if your equipment is paid for, you can make money. If you are in debt it is next to impossible to get ahead. And most have to borrow on a regular basis, I guess.

Glad to hear that. I guess it's just my perception of him on TV then.
    Was Stephanie (Banyas, not March) there? I like me some Stephanie!

She beat Bobby! Her home is beautiful!

No surprise she won. Ree is a fabulous lady and cook.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    No surprise she won. Ree is a fabulous lady and cook.
    And having two Okies as judges with her having a more traditional menu didn't hurt. Okies aren't adventurous when it comes to holday meals. They like what is tried and true.

If you were aware of the Throwdwon Series on Food Network Flay looses more often than he wins. Your pint is what??? Not adventourous must by in your family but not many others including mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    If you were aware of the Throwdwon Series on Food Network Flay looses more often than he wins. Your pint is what??? Not adventourous must by in your family but not many others including mine.
    I've probably watched more of that series than you have Mustang so I'm well aware of usually happens. Your family is in the minority if you like trying new adventurous menus for holidays. I assure you that isn't the norm, especially in Oklahoma. My point is that tradition rules for holidays and even if the two menus they prepared were of equal quality it's no surprise that the more traditional menu won. If it had been for a non holiday meal it could have gone the other way.

Thread Information