Widgets Magazine

Thread: County Line BBQ (closed)

Northeast OKC County Line BBQ (closed)

I recieved a message from a friend who works there and she said they were closing today for good. She also said that the owner and managment gave no warning. Have you guys heard this?

Default Re: County Line BBQ is closing?

They are dead and gone. Here is the link. I was a VERY regular customer for many years.

http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13465686

Dead but not gone! Hopefully someone comes along and brings it back up exactly like it was.

Great unique spot so hopefully it won't stay vacant long

I really enjoyed it and their orangy-BBQ sauce. Didn't know they had locations in Texas either.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    Dead but not gone! Hopefully someone comes along and brings it back up exactly like it was.
    Wel...another owner might come in there but it won't be the County Line we knew before. So yeah it really is gone but possibly reincarnated as another BBQ joint. I am not really hopeful in this economic climate. Whether we are still in a recession is not really relevant if potential business onwers feel we are then we are. Perception is reality.

meaning no disrespect, but in a metro that is well served by a variety of decent outlets for Q, and a few that wish they were decent, how deeply will this absence be felt in the market?

Unknown except to the loyal customers. I am a fan of Bedlam BBQ. Earls can close for all I care. To each their own.

I went there every so often just for a different BBQ experience, I remember when it was Oklahoma Line before being brought into the County Line group. I know the one in Colorado Springs closed several years ago.

I have only been to the two Austin locations one time each, too many better places to go in both towns but they have great bread.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    meaning no disrespect, but in a metro that is well served by a variety of decent outlets for Q, and a few that wish they were decent, how deeply will this absence be felt in the market?
    It's not so much that the BBQ will be missed. It's that a historic dining venue with great atmosphere will be missed.

11. Default Re: County Line BBQ is closing?

I'm sorry they closed. We didn't go there often, but had been a few times through the years.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It's not so much that the BBQ will be missed. It's that a historic dining venue with great atmosphere will be missed.
    Those little side rooms made for a great place to hold lunch meetings.

We go there often for special occasions. It is/was a different style of BBQ, but very good;the homemade bread was to die for! County Line was somewhat unique in the restaurant business in that they didn't have a big turnover of staff. Several had been there for 10+ years. I feel very bad for Oscar, one of the waitstaff; one of the sweetest men you could ever hope to meet. He'd been working there for close to 20 years. I really do hate to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    We go there often for special occasions. It is/was a different style of BBQ, but very good;the homemade bread was to die for! County Line was somewhat unique in the restaurant business in that they didn't have a big turnover of staff. Several had been there for 10+ years. I feel very bad for Oscar, one of the waitstaff; one of the sweetest men you could ever hope to meet. He'd been working there for close to 20 years. I really do hate to hear this.
    Agreed.

Second the sentiment!!

I do hope someone buys it and carries on re-opens it, i have not been there since a teen, but i have young kids now and my wife and I was planning on taking them there and telling tyhem all about how we loved it at there age ... there is to many places that close.. there is not that many in okc that can say they have served generation after generation... why is that.. chelinos has been around now for 20 plus years, is there any other popular places thats been around 20 plus years?

Shoguns Steakhouse in Northpark Mall has been here that long. IMHO a restaurant must build up a steady clientele that regularily eat at that establishment. I have a few eateries that I frequent at lest once a month and will continue to do so.

No worries, there was an article in the Oklahoman today confirming the closure.

Surprised to hear that people are so upset about it, given the usual venom toward chain restaurants that I see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    there is not that many in okc that can say they have served generation after generation... why is that.. chelinos has been around now for 20 plus years, is there any other popular places thats been around 20 plus years?
    Coach House recently celebrated 25 years. If memory serves, Jamil's has been around even longer. Cattlemen's has. Feel certain there are others as well.
    In Norman, some that come to mind are Legends, O'Connell's, The Mont. I think, but am less certain about, The Diner and Greek House.

Thread Information