Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leaving Norman, Moving to Moore in Spring!

Default Re: Leaving Norman, Moving to Moore in Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Been going on for at least 50 years--that I know of...
    Not really that long, jmark. When I was growing up in Norman, Moore was so small we hardly even thought about it. That was mostly in the 50's and 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
    Do we need to put up a DMZ between Moore and Norman? Sure seems like a lot of anger over two neighbors that are probably more alike than you would all like to admit. Just as a matter of proximity, can the two towns really be that different???
    It's already there, roughly 3/4 mile either side of Indian Hills Road. As tensions have escalated, plans were spearheaded by Normanites to move the county jail closer to Moore, so the bad folks from the north can be largely kept on their side of Tecumseh Road.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Not really that long, jmark. When I was growing up in Norman, Moore was so small we hardly even thought about it. That was mostly in the 50's and 60's.
    I was there then as well...back when Moore had the only stop lights on I-35 in the nation...

Pretty sure some of you guys are my age. So I was there before the Interstate.

And where I lived wasn't in Moore until about 1964 because Moore stopped at South 4th Street. I recall we weren't terribly happy about being in anyone's city.

Norman and Oklahoma City both seemed a long ways off back then. So a lot of people in and around Moore actually went to Norman for "city" things like lawyers and title work and banking and clothes and such. And back then you couldn't get anyone to come out to the farm which was fine because no one ever thought of that anyway.

I don't remember that much rivalry between Moore and anyone really probably because Moore was so small it was just kind of overlooked. It is still kind of that way really.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    Pretty sure some of you guys are my age. So I was there before the Interstate.

And where I lived wasn't in Moore until about 1964 because Moore stopped at South 4th Street. I recall we weren't terribly happy about being in anyone's city.

Norman and Oklahoma City both seemed a long ways off back then. So a lot of people in and around Moore actually went to Norman for "city" things like lawyers and title work and banking and clothes and such. And back then you couldn't get anyone to come out to the farm which was fine because no one ever thought of that anyway.

I don't remember that much rivalry between Moore and anyone really probably because Moore was so small it was just kind of overlooked. It is still kind of that way really.
    Remember the farmer who put up a big billboard saying..."Stealing is now legal in Cleveland County...."?

Remember the farmer who put up a big billboard saying..."Stealing is now legal in Cleveland County...."?
    jmark, that brought back another memory for me from my youth. When the Brookhaven addition was being built on the north side of Robinson in west Norman it was just farm land on the south side of Robinson. The woman who owned that land didn't like what Brookhaven was doing and put up a large sign saying "Home Sites for Coloreds". Can you imagine the uproar if something like that was done today? And, as I've mentioned before, the sign you're talking could have very easily been something that my grandfather could have done when part of his land was taken for I35 through Norman.

jmark, that brought back another memory for me from my youth. When the Brookhaven addition was being built on the north side of Robinson in west Norman it was just farm land on the south side of Robinson. The woman who owned that land didn't like what Brookhaven was doing and put up a large sign saying "Home Sites for Coloreds". Can you imagine the uproar if something like that was done today? And, as I've mentioned before, the sign you're talking could have very easily been something that my grandfather could have done when part of his land was taken for I35 through Norman.
    The sign I mentioned was by a farmer on the road from Moore eastward that went over to Hollywood Corner and some guy caught some thieves and called the police and they let the guys go and he got somewhat bent out of shape...it was in those days similar to when the town of Fletcher was not given an off-ramp to the Bailey Turnpike and they put up the big billboard that said..."Fletcher--Not Big Enough for an Exit--BUT--Big Enough Not To Like It!!"

The colored sign you mentioned goes back to the days (pre about ~1965) when hyper-liberal Norman...politely agreed among it realtors NOT to sell any property or homes to black-folk...one of the reasons I think liberals are the ultimate charlatans and liars...they love all ethnic types--as long as they stay the hell out of THEIR neighborhoods...

I don't recall that sign.

I do remember when they widened Highway 37 (134th) from Moore west and moved the old stand of cedars back away from the road. Eventually they died and the land owner painted a sign on the old barn roof. Always made me sad about those old cedars although I did really appreciate the widening of that road. I'm not sure I ever have driven a darker, more narrow stretch of road as it was back then.

I don't know, JMR, I could be wrong (it's happened before!) but I do not think that it was so much "hyper-liberal Norman" (??) deciding amongst themselves to not sell homes to black people pre-1965 or whenever. I think it was pretty standard practice across the USA. My mother was a realtor back in Connecticut in those days and it was the same situation there. My former husband and I lived in Denver in the seventies and it was the same situation there. Just try to get a mortgage in Five Points in 1975! Ha ha ha!!! Red-lining. We couldn't even get a TV delivered! We looked at each other and said "Wow! They really DON'T come up into the hills anymore!"

Dr. Henderson was the first block-buster in a small town, and many people are still here who remember it, and it has become an iconic story told every year. It was not unique to Norman, however, in my experience.

we're straying a bit into politics territory... let's try to keep political opinions to the politics forum. -M

Oops! Sorry!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I don't know, JMR, I could be wrong (it's happened before!) but I do not think that it was so much "hyper-liberal Norman" (??) deciding amongst themselves to not sell homes to black people pre-1965 or whenever. I think it was pretty standard practice across the USA. My mother was a realtor back in Connecticut in those days and it was the same situation there. My former husband and I lived in Denver in the seventies and it was the same situation there. Just try to get a mortgage in Five Points in 1975! Ha ha ha!!! Red-lining. We couldn't even get a TV delivered! We looked at each other and said "Wow! They really DON'T come up into the hills anymore!"

Dr. Henderson was the first block-buster in a small town, and many people are still here who remember it, and it has become an iconic story told every year. It was not unique to Norman, however, in my experience.
    My Mom was a realtor in Norman for 35 years...trust me on this one--it was a well done slick maneuver...and they were ALL big-time democrats...ALL...

I shall send a donation to starving children to make up for this final bit of off-topic miscreance...

My Mom was a realtor in Norman for 35 years...trust me on this one--it was a well done slick maneuver...and they were ALL big-time democrats...ALL...

I shall send a donation to starving children to make up for this final bit of off-topic miscreance...
    If you want to send me a donation, I'll forgive another off-topic, jmark. LOL

If you want to send me a donation, I'll forgive another off-topic, jmark. LOL
    You are already quite well-off...but perhaps a few extra shekels for kids who need food...which is where we all should send the extra cash we might have...you can't take it with you...

Thread Information