Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rococo

Default Rococo

Saw in the Gazette that Rocco's is to be opening a new food establishment in the old Tommies location in Northpark Mall...anyone know anything about them? Seems they have another location, but know not where...

Default Re: Rocco's Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by soonergal View Post
    Saw in the Gazette that Rocco's is to be opening a new food establishment in the old Tommies location in Northpark Mall...anyone know anything about them? Seems they have another location, but know not where...
    It's Rococo (not Rocco's). They've been at NW 29th and Penn for a while.

Yeah Rococo's is very good and been around for years, should have another thread with reviews.

I have only been to the original location a few times... but I am excited to try the new location later this year, once it opens, esp. for Sunday brunch. It should be open very soon, during the month of November. However, I will probably wait until after Thanksgiving to try it for brunch.

Tony's was one of my favorite Italian places in OKC. I had heard another place opened up in their location but never knew what it was.
    I also spent a lot of time at The Interurban in Northpark in the mid to late 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Tony's was one of my favorite Italian places in OKC. I had heard another place opened up in their location but never knew what it was.
    I also spent a lot of time at The Interurban in Northpark in the mid to late 80's.
    ????

I think you mean Tommy's, and yes it was great. You do know the same owner owns Bellini's right? Which is also really good Italian.

Default Re: Rococo Restaurant

I think when Blue Dog mentioned Tony's, he was referring to Tony's Italian Specialties that was in the current Rococo location on Penn. Tony's was owned by a couple from Brooklyn and had really good, heavy red sauce Italian food. There was an Interurban in the Northpark location during the 80's where the new Rococo location is going in before Tommy's was there.

I did not go to Tony's Via Roma, Nicolosi's, or Tony's Italian Specialties until I was an adult. I wish they were still around because it is getting harder to find good locally owned red sauce places. No one in Oklahoma City makes pizza like Nicolosi's that I know of. I wish I would have gone to those places more before they closed.

Bigray in Ok

I miss Tommy's but love Bellini's so I'm happy. Need to go there more often too.

Bigray, have you tried going to Trattoria Il Centro when they have their annual tomato festival? They may have lots of red sauce options for you.

Yeah, I have been to Tratoria Il Centro during Tomato Fest and it is not the same to me. I like Tratoria Il Centro, but it is not the kind of place I am talking about. I like the simple old school southern Italian or Sicilian type restaurants that serve iceburg lettuce salads, bread with butter, and thick tomato sauce at about half the price of places like Tratoria Il Centro or Stella! Tratoria Il Centro is more Northern Italian to me and more in line with the trendy Italian places I have seen spring up all over the country the past fifteen years or so. I call them Spagoesque. When Pepperoni Grill opened in Penn Square Mall there was an article in the Oklahoman talking about how it was patterend after Spago in Hollywood. I like Rococo also, but I am not sure the owner sees it as an "Italian restaurant" and it is not like the old school places I have referred to, it is more modern and eccletic.

I am a real foodie and post regularly on Chowhound.com, but I will eat just about anything from Taco Mayo to McDonald's to Commander's Palace in New Orleans. Sometimes I feel like Spaghetti Warehouse (Yes, I actually eat there) and sometimes I feel like Tratoria Il Centro, Stella! or other more "fine" restaurants. When I travel to other cities I like to find old Italian restaurants that have been around for decades. I like it all though.

Bigray in Ok

bigray, have you gone to bella vista on sw 59th & western? -M

I was going to ask him , Bella Vista or Italiano's on Lincloln?

Bigray was right, I was referring to what the places were before the current occupants of those spaces.

Tommy's/Bellini's was good, just not my preferred style of Italian food. Tony's Italian Specialties just reminded me of an old style family Italian restaurant, they were open until around the time that I moved in 2003. Interurban in Northpark closed in 1990.

Bellinis is still around blue dog.

Ray, I understand, sounds like pets place in Krebs might be your best bet. On a side note vie been to Spago and not that impressed.

I love Pete's Place, Isle of Capri, and Roseanna's in Krebs. Exactly the kind of places I was talking about. Spago was groundbreaking at one time but now there are restaurants like it all over the country. I have been to Bella Vista and like it. I get a kick out of the owner/waitress that gets on some people's nerves. I used to go to D'Itallia on May and Britton where her husband used to work. She told me the owner of D'Itallia gave them his recipes when it closed.

Bigray in Ok

ignore my mispellings, I was typing on a mobile device.

Have you tried Sophabella's on N. May?

I like Sophabella's Chicago style deep dish pizza among other things. I enjoy the live music they have on some nights. I have been to Italiano's once on a Sunday afternoon when they were open on Sunday's and was the only person in there. I liked it from what I remember but it has been a couple of years and I only went there once. It seems like it would be a good place for lunch during the week. My favorite Italian restaurant in Oklahoma City is Papa Dio's. The Chicken Marsala and the Chicken Del Greco are fantastic. I like most of the Italian restaurants in the Oklahoma City area, I can not think of any I do not like. Like I mentioned before, I like the simple old school southern Italian places the most, but I like it all.

Bigray in Ok

19. Default Re: Rococo Restaurant

The new North location in NorthPark Mall has a $40 for $20 deal going on right now. https://deals.eataroundokc.com/offer...coco-northpark

20. Default Re: Rococo Restaurant

BlueDog, I'm with you on Tony's Italian Specialties. It was my favorite Italian eatery. I think about it a lot and miss them immensely.

Oh, yeah. Tony's Italian Specialties (Little Tony's) was awesome. Everything about the place. Right down to the Dean Martin on the jukebox.

Back in the day Tony's Italian Specialties was a Carnation Store and a few doors to the South was a Underwood's Pit Bar-B-Que.

Welcome to the Tony's Italian Specialties memorial thread.

24. Default Re: Rococo Restaurant

Tony's was one of the first places my husband and I went when we started dating. The nicest people owned it and the food was amazing.I miss that place.

25. Default Re: Rococo Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Welcome to the Tony's Italian Specialties memorial thread.
    Yeah, it's nice that you all have such great memories...but has anyone actually gone to the new Rococo location, which is the entire point of this thread? I would be interested in hearing that, not trips down memory lane.
    Still corrupting young minds

Thread Information