Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC on Google Maps

Default OKC on Google Maps

Zoom in close to downtown OKC area in Google Maps and you will see they have new 45 degree angle satellite views. Great stuff!

Default Re: OKC on Google Maps

Bing Maps are nice too, although they show the City Center Garages being constructed instead of Devon.

Quote Originally Posted by ourulz2000 View Post
    Zoom in close to downtown OKC area in Google Maps and you will see they have new 45 degree angle satellite views. Great stuff!
    Have you tried the 3D buildings view. Way cool.

I have noticed on Google Earth it now shows a 3D version of the new Devon building. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ourulz2000 View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty cool but the images are older than the April 2010 overhead views. Also, you have the option of changing it back to the overhead view at the very close up zoom levels. I was looking at Kansas City the other day and it doesn't even have the 45 degree angle view option...

Yes, the addition of Devon to the 3D version is cool. However I have always been puzzled by the absence of the First National Tower from the 3D map. There are icons you can click to see a picture of the building, but it is missing from the map itself.

The tower is too narrow. Needs to extend out towards the columns that are visible on the map.

8. Default Re: OKC on Google Maps

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty cool but the images are older than the April 2010 overhead views. Also, you have the option of changing it back to the overhead view at the very close up zoom levels. I was looking at Kansas City the other day and it doesn't even have the 45 degree angle view option...
    For some reason, Oklahoma City is the only US city not on the west coast to have this feature.

Looks like Norman has this feature turned on too. The stadium, Sarkeys, the water tower, etc. all are three dimensional.

Did not see any in Edmond.

I checked other parts of OKC and I found that the NW Expressway had several 3D buildings as well, including 50 Penn Place and Founders Tower. No 3D buildings on Memorial.

Kansas City does have the feature turned on. You have to sometimes uncheck and check the 3D box to get it to display.

For a cool look at OKC, go to about the 50th floor of Devon Tower in 3D view and look down at the rest of downtown. Talk about a bird's eye view.

Thread Information