Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1257585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1553

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

An article in AFAR magazine about the Oklahoma film industry

https://www.afar.com/magazine/how-to...ive-film-scene

3. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Study shows OKC at #8 where millennials are moving.
    https://www.fox13news.com/news/mille...-tampa-florida

4. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Study shows OKC at #8 where millennials are moving.
    https://www.fox13news.com/news/mille...-tampa-florida
    The one that surprises me on that list is Las Vegas. I can't imagine a worse place to live but maybe I am missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    The one that surprises me on that list is Las Vegas. I can't imagine a worse place to live but maybe I am missing something.
    The actual city is pretty cool. A ton to do around there and you can always go enjoy the things that tourist come there for when you decide to. Had some friends that lived there for about 5 years and loved it. Came back to Tulsa for a job offer that one of them couldn't turn down.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Vegas heat? Nope.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Vegas heat? Nope.
    But it's a dry heat (as they say).

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Dry roasting vs. Par broiled

For those complaining about the high rents in OKC.
    We are the cheapest among metropolitans of 1 million or more.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/yourmone...tivemenubutton

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    For those complaining about the high rents in OKC.
    We are the cheapest among metropolitans of 1 million or more.

Again, cheap isn't always a good thing (usually means people don't want to live there). But in this case, since you are pointing out a flawed complaint from people, I will second this. OKC is still dirt cheap (again, not a good thing, but it has increased quite a bit).

And honestly, it probably isn't a good look being $200 cheaper than Birmingham AL or Tulsa. Not sure how I feel about this.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Again, cheap isn't always a good thing (usually means people don't want to live there). But in this case, since you are pointing out a flawed complaint from people, I will second this. OKC is still dirt cheap (again, not a good thing, but it has increased quite a bit).

And honestly, it probably isn't a good look being $200 cheaper than Birmingham AL or Tulsa. Not sure how I feel about this.
    No it’s Not a good look. Quiet part out loud here the city needs forward positive image. Somehow make this a place people want to live

The negativity about OKC always is amazing to me. Our population is growing, so it seems to me people do want to live here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    The negativity about OKC always is amazing to me. Our population is growing, so it seems to me people do want to live here.
    But highlighting something is cheap isn't a positive. People are moving here, but the reason we struggle getting is because of our reputation for being cheap. California is very expensive, but mostly because people want to live there.

OKC has a lot of positives, but being super cheap is not a good thing.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    And yet in 2025 OKC gained 7,589 new residents while Tulsa added a whopping 146. I'd say we're doing pretty well.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...h/73729737007/

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    And yet in 2025 OKC gained 7,589 new residents while Tulsa added a whopping 146. I'd say we're doing pretty well.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...h/73729737007/
    Remember OKC city limits is 621 sq mi while Tulsa is only 186 sq mi. Expand Tulsa’s city limits to that size and I bet it’s close if not higher.

16. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Remember OKC city limits is 621 sq mi while Tulsa is only 186 sq mi. Expand Tulsa’s city limits to that size and I bet it’s close if not higher.
    Just doing a little rough math here. OKC gained > 10 residents per sq mile while Tulsa gained less than one.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Just doing a little rough math here. OKC gained > 10 residents per sq mile while Tulsa gained less than one.
    If you expanded Tulsa to 621 sq mi it would include all of Tulsa County (587 sq mi) and parts of adjacent counties. Doing math the growth rate for between 2022-23 for Tulsa County was 5510 which would be 9.4 residents per sq mi.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Despite the fact it is obvious that OKC is bigger and growing faster, It is apparent Tulsa’s just can’t accept it. All these “oh yeah, if you …… then Tulsa is better” arguments using arbitrary limits and hypotheticals is silly. We see a lot of excuses here.

Ok has two good cities we should be proud of. Let’s accept one is larger than the other and has been growing faster. It isn’t a referendum on if one is cooler than the other. Right now, it is just how things are going for a lot of reasons.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

I see OKC as being inexpensive because land is relatively cheap and abundant and building codes are not restrictive. Cities such as Birminhgham are very hilly and cheap building land is not plentiful. Supply and demand and OKC is a place supply can keep up.

I see OKC as being inexpensive because land is relatively cheap and abundant and building codes are not restrictive. Cities such as Birminhgham are very hilly and cheap building land is not plentiful. Supply and demand and OKC is a place supply can keep up.
    Sprawl is generally a bad thing. Amenity is more desirable in quality of life metrics.

Agree

To say rent is cheap in okc because people don't want to live here is way oversimplifying it. There's a lot more that goes into it. Codes, land availability, land use. In Oklahoma, there's probably more people buying than renting. If you have people buying instead of renting, that's going to affect rent prices too.

In California they talk about affordable housing but every time someone tries to make that happen, the NIMBYs put the kibosh on it. And they change the codes to where high density housing can't be built. All these are contributors to high rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Sprawl is generally a bad thing. Amenity is more desirable in quality of life metrics.
    I agree with you 100%. But some realities are that wives want "good schools", and those are almost always in sprawling areas. The incredible land mass of Oklahoma City means we can (and do) sprawl without hiding behind suburbs. I continue to hammer the point that Oklahoma City has access to water and land at a level that makes us the envy of America. We are an affordable city in which to build and live. We have all the "good stuff". I know and agree that we can think of ourselves as a "hick town" or "cow town". But at the same time we must acknowledge that our politics and social make up are the same as every other southern state. Fast growing Texas, Georgia or Alabama have the same conservative leadership, yet we somehow think they really have it together. And we somehow convince ourselves big, international companies want them because they have better politics than us.

You can rent cheaper in Oklahoma City because the starts have aligned to make all factors more affordable than anywhere else in America. That is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I agree with you 100%. But some realities are that wives want "good schools", and those are almost always in sprawling areas. The incredible land mass of Oklahoma City means we can (and do) sprawl without hiding behind suburbs. I continue to hammer the point that Oklahoma City has access to water and land at a level that makes us the envy of America. We are an affordable city in which to build and live. We have all the "good stuff". I know and agree that we can think of ourselves as a "hick town" or "cow town". But at the same time we must acknowledge that our politics and social make up are the same as every other southern state. Fast growing Texas, Georgia or Alabama have the same conservative leadership, yet we somehow think they really have it together. And we somehow convince ourselves big, international companies want them because they have better politics than us.
    Another reality is that most of us husbands also want good schools.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post

You can rent cheaper in Oklahoma City because the starts have aligned to make all factors more affordable than anywhere else in America. That is a good thing.
    We are more affordable because we pay low wages and don’t spend on education and have little capital to spend.

And thinking just women should focus on schools is the backwards thinking helping keep this state where it is.

Companies don’t first think of moving their headquarters here but will always consider us for low paying factory jobs. And the prevailing politics isn’t really appealing to the innovative leaders to move here.

25. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

ok, now a positive. the pics they used for OKC are amazing, especially this one:

Too bad ESPN and TNT didn't get that message. Would look even better if it were recent.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information