Widgets Magazine
Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1527

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    ... Not a dang soul in OKC thinks like this idiot, ...
    Wanna bet? OKC *is* more progressive than most of the rest of OK, but there are still *tons* of people in OKC and the metro area that think like him. And like it or not, OKC, as the most known of the cities here in the state and unfairly or not, does tend to get associated with crap like this idiot spews.

2. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

It does appear that MSM seeks out these idiots to further the label of OKC being ultri-conservative. OKC has had numerous progressive events lately that have been well attended (and behaved) but NOT ONE mention on nightly news or whatever while they continually show violence in other cities as progressive. I was so hopeful to see some OKC action on national news so the country/world can see OKC's mozaic and how "we" do things regarding protests - not a peep.

It is time for the MSM to give OKC another look and at least have balance. Not everyone in OKC are ultra-conservative hicks NOR ultra-liberal communists, OKC is quite moderate yet tends to avoid violence - THIS city hsould be promoted more in the media and not the constant violence and riots of other less (yet get protrayed as more) diverse cities.

Even ESPN didn't give OKC much during the OKC-UTAH game. I was thinking/hoping they'd show OKC's BLM area and perhaps some of what OKC is doing. Not a peep and I only saw ONE OKC skyline image in the 3rd qu (to be fair I missed the 1st half but they seemed consistent to just show the orlando arena at breaks - which is NOT a good sight imo).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I emailed that state representative yesterday, basically telling him he's absurd...

4. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    This is why I hate when national news sites report on things like this. The guy is from podunk Hominy, OK, not from OKC. Not a dang soul in OKC thinks like this idiot, but because they don't want to do the research, the Huff Post makes it seem like OKC thinks this way, when it is pretty much some backwoods guy from Hominy saying this, and not getting any backup from anyone of influence.

OKC is far more progressive than this board gives it credit for. Rural, podunk Oklahoma? Not so much.
    Literally two posts above yours, someone from OKC is thinking like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Literally two posts above yours, someone from OKC is thinking like this.
    Had to check and see what post that was, and turns out it's mugofbeer, who actually resides in CO (and who I have on ignore, so didn't ever see his comments until now). And BTW, mug, not sure how you define "much", but HuffPo is averaging about 3M readers...

https://www.similarweb.com/website/huffingtonpost.com/

6. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

^ I guess I didn't realize he lives in CO.

He used to live here (grew up here?), but has been in CO for a while.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Born, grew up, schooled and family in OK and plan to retire there. Been on here 12 years or so.

9. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Had to check and see what post that was, and turns out it's mugofbeer, who actually resides in CO (and who I have on ignore, so didn't ever see his comments until now). And BTW, mug, not sure how you define "much", but HuffPo is averaging about 3M readers...

https://www.similarweb.com/website/huffingtonpost.com/
    Maybe so but my point is few people are going to put much importance on a small article on what a state legislator from Hominy wants to do other than for a chuckle. Pubs like Huffpo search far and wide for nonsense like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Maybe so but my point is few people are going to put much importance on a small article on what a state legislator from Hominy wants to do other than for a chuckle. Pubs like Huffpo search far and wide for nonsense like this.
    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/oklah...nthem-kneeling

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/08/03...tional-anthem/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eel-for-anthem

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...anthem-despite

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...penalties.html

Here’s a a fun one

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...244682282.html

This was a pretty major news story. Looks absolutely terrible for the state.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    And here are some more:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/n...244648647.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe...tional-anthem/

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9651466.html

https://kfor.com/news/local/state-re...-tax-benefits/

https://thegrio.com/2020/08/02/okc-t...te-tax-threat/

https://www.wkrg.com/news/lawmaker-w...-tax-benefits/

Blog Entries

Post Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Can anybody say, Sally Kern...

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Can anybody say, Sally Kern...
    I think you are legally required to spit 3 times if you utter her name.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Hmm, dude is threatening to fine people for engaging in speech he doesn’t personally agree with. This guy sounds like a true American patriot.

Seriously these people sound like spoiled children at this point. Very embarrassing for the state. These headlines are always bad for business. Sadly, most growing companies aren’t run by new earth creationists and don’t want to move jobs to states run by them. We as a state need to work to elect people who are the least likely to create these types of headlines for the state. For some reason, from the governor down, we continue to elect the ones most likely to create these self inflicted wounds.
    They don't always have to be voted out. Ironically enough, Sen. Silk declined to run again because the Oklahoma Legislature is too liberal to accept his far right Christian agenda. I hope his replacement is much better for the state. With too few exceptions, rural counties in Oklahoma just don't want to keep up with a changing modern world. I think it's largely because they are much more used to accepting living life much less abundantly with fewer choices than people in big urban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    They don't always have to be voted out. Ironically enough, Sen. Silk declined to run again because the Oklahoma Legislature is too liberal to accept his far right Christian agenda. I hope his replacement is much better for the state. With too few exceptions, rural counties in Oklahoma just don't want to keep up with a changing modern world. I think it's largely because they are much more used to accepting living life much less abundantly with fewer choices than people in big urban areas.
    Rural Okies are definitely scared of change. But then again, they are scared of almost everything.

This state legislature's comment is a perfect example of a reactionary response based on being fearful of something he doesn't understand. Rural Okies are constantly their own worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    It does appear that MSM seeks out these idiots to further the label of OKC being ultri-conservative. OKC has had numerous progressive events lately that have been well attended (and behaved) but NOT ONE mention on nightly news or whatever while they continually show violence in other cities as progressive. I was so hopeful to see some OKC action on national news so the country/world can see OKC's mozaic and how "we" do things regarding protests - not a peep.

It is time for the MSM to give OKC another look and at least have balance. Not everyone in OKC are ultra-conservative hicks NOR ultra-liberal communists, OKC is quite moderate yet tends to avoid violence - THIS city hsould be promoted more in the media and not the constant violence and riots of other less (yet get protrayed as more) diverse cities.

Even ESPN didn't give OKC much during the OKC-UTAH game. I was thinking/hoping they'd show OKC's BLM area and perhaps some of what OKC is doing. Not a peep and I only saw ONE OKC skyline image in the 3rd qu (to be fair I missed the 1st half but they seemed consistent to just show the orlando arena at breaks - which is NOT a good sight imo).
    I liked Mayor Cornett, but he would repeat the trope that OKC is the "most conservative big city in the country." Not sure if that is true or not (maybe it was then), but there has been a lot of change to the city's political representation since he said that.

He also called himself conservative but was really more of a moderate.

Mayor Holt has done much to change the perception of OKC, in my opinion.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

OKC definitely is not the most conservative city in the nation, but it is one of them. But I agree, the mayor of OKC shouldn't keep pushing OKC's political position like that's something to be proud of. If a city is conservative or not should be the rhelm of the people and not the leadership (top down).

Big cities are usually liberal because of the diversity of people and opinions that collect in them. This is from the Cornett era and explains more: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-cities/?amp=1

19. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

exactly, it's the diversity of people that makes cities liberal and I'd argue OKC has often been more liberal than the rest of the state. However, OKC has been conservative due to its funding and policy mechanisms which are often decided by a very small, conservative group we often call the good ole boys.

I believe Cornett was calling OKC conservative in that the political climate had been largely Republican on the national scene, including the mayor's affiliation himself. Yet I'd argue THAT does not make OKC conservative it's how the city's run and the demographic makeup of the city; and judging by how OKC votes one can clearly see that today the city is the most liberal as ever thanks to diversity representing over 55% of its population.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    exactly, it's the diversity of people that makes cities liberal and I'd argue OKC has often been more liberal than the rest of the state. However, OKC has been conservative due to its funding and policy mechanisms which are often decided by a very small, conservative group we often call the good ole boys.

I believe Cornett was calling OKC conservative in that the political climate had been largely Republican on the national scene, including the mayor's affiliation himself. Yet I'd argue THAT does not make OKC conservative it's how the city's run and the demographic makeup of the city; and judging by how OKC votes one can clearly see that today the city is the most liberal as ever thanks to diversity representing over 55% of its population.
    If you’re judging by how a city voted, OKC is very conservative. No two ways about that.

Here is one example.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ocrats-cities/

Check the Oklahoma City map

Obviously OKC is going to be a more conservative city than many others given its location, but that map includes Edmond, Moore, Mustang, and Yukon on it so it's not really a fair comparison (and suburbs will tend to be more conservative than their primary city almost everywhere). OKC has also obviously annexed a ton of rural space that most other cities don't include in their city limits. If not for that, I think OKC would be a lot bluer than it is. As it is much of what is *actually* OKC on that map is white/blue sans much of suburban NW OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Obviously OKC is going to be a more conservative city than many others given its location, but that map includes Edmond, Moore, Mustang, and Yukon on it so it's not really a fair comparison (and suburbs will tend to be more conservative than their primary city almost everywhere). OKC has also obviously annexed a ton of rural space that most other cities don't include in their city limits. If not for that, I think OKC would be a lot bluer than it is. As it is much of what is *actually* OKC on that map is white/blue sans much of suburban NW OKC.
    You really can’t cherry pick when to use MSA population and not when it suits your narrative.

You can’t use msa when talking up population or job growth or income, but say only city proper, or as you stated “actually OKC”, should only count when discussing political party percentages.

That’s literally a form of gerrymandering.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    You really can’t cherry pick when to use MSA population and not when it suits your narrative.

You can’t use msa when talking up population or job growth or income, but say only city proper, or as you stated “actually OKC”, should only count when discussing political party percentages.

That’s literally a form of gerrymandering.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. The entire discussion thus far (at least back to posts #1226 and #1227) was specifically about Oklahoma City and Mayor Cornett referring to it as a conservative city. As far as I can tell you're the first and only one who introduced the notion of the politics of the entire MSA (which yeah, probably still puts it at one of the most conservative MSAs in the country), unless for some reason I should assume when people talk about "Oklahoma City" and the city's leadership they *actually* mean the entire MSA...

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about. The entire discussion thus far (at least back to posts #1226 and #1227) was specifically about Oklahoma City and Mayor Cornett referring to it as a conservative city. As far as I can tell you're the first and only one who introduced the notion of the politics of the entire MSA (which yeah, probably still puts it at one of the most conservative MSAs in the country), unless for some reason I should assume when people talk about "Oklahoma City" and the city's leadership they *actually* mean the entire MSA...
    Valid point.

I’m not sure how to break it down to within city boundaries, but another way to analyze it would be the Mayor.

Every OKC mayor the last 33 years has been a republican. That’s very telling with regards to the city and which way it leans.

Thread Information