Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I think he's trying to say that there is a reason we use trial by jury and not trial by media and public outrage. There are two sides to every story, though if I'm not mistaken, there were multiple incidents in addition to this one that were more damning. That victim's account of the incident is pretty shaky, but I'm pretty sure there were others that were not.
    Was Holtzclaw in SAE?

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Was Holtzclaw in SAE?
    Wow..Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I'm not sitting in the courtroom listening to all the details. I can't make an informed decision. And unless you are in there or are following it very closely, I don't think you are able to make an informed decision either.

I'm waiting for all the information and have faith in the current system. Watever the court (jury) finds, I will most likely believe that.

My use of the pronoun 'you' isn't directed at anyone in particular. Just in general.
    Faith in the current system that lets cops off the hook for damn near anything they do, and the current system that is massively racially discriminatory in almost every aspect of arrests, ticketing, and convictions (even death penalty convictions) and has wrongly convicted many, many, many people (some on death row)?

Yeah, yeah, most of the time it works right, but it *is* rigged to favor cops...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Faith in the current system that lets cops off the hook for damn near anything they do, and the current system that is massively racially discriminatory in almost every aspect of arrests, ticketing, and convictions (even death penalty convictions) and has wrongly convicted many, many, many people (some on death row)?

Yeah, yeah, most of the time it works right, but it *is* rigged to favor cops...
    I agree that there are a lot of dirty cops. But I also agree with Charles Barkley(!) that if it weren't for the large police presence in the black community it would mean more black deaths. If Black Lives Matter (and they do) they need to matter to the black community and stop the cultural sickness in a huge part of black neighborhoods in nearly every big city. Because THAT is why there has to be a huge police presence and why you have disproportionate police killings against blacks. That's where the majority of crime is in most big cities (sorry, it's just the truth). Chicken or the Egg?

6. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

nm

Good to see this positive publicity. OKC has definitely come a long ways over the past 20 years. I am not sure I would go as far as to say car culture has been overturned because this city still has quite a ways to go even in its urban core. Its good to see the positive strides recognized by another publication. I am hoping the 2017 Go-Bond package addresses some of the remaining annoyances for pedestrians so by 2020, you can legitimately say "these streets are made for walking."

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I agree that there are a lot of dirty cops. But I also agree with Charles Barkley(!) that if it weren't for the large police presence in the black community it would mean more black deaths. If Black Lives Matter (and they do) they need to matter to the black community and stop the cultural sickness in a huge part of black neighborhoods in nearly every big city. Because THAT is why there has to be a huge police presence and why you have disproportionate police killings against blacks. That's where the majority of crime is in most big cities (sorry, it's just the truth). Chicken or the Egg?
    . . . .

Oklahoma City recently ranked by Forbes as No. 10 on the list of America's Next Boom Towns.

Forbes Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by gman11695 View Post
    Oklahoma City recently ranked by Forbes as No. 10 on the list of America's Next Boom Towns.

Forbes Welcome
    I clicked on your link and never found that article.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I clicked on your link and never found that article.
    Methodology - In Photos: America's Cities Of The Future - Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It's interesting that they show a picture of "Toby Keith's" when talking about our emerging food scene.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It's interesting that they show a picture of "Toby Keith's" when talking about our emerging food scene.
    That whole website is geared to click-bait for people in every state and every big city. It's an easy "link-to" for civic boosters. There are sections for all 50 states. All positive. All glowing. All linkable, all clickable and - profitable. It will pass as a fun to click through patchwork travel guide, but I saw a lot of questionable content that seems to have been swiped. They'll keep it up until they get a DMCA. No coincidence they have a DMCA link at the bottom of each page.

Blog Entries

Comments section for that link; it seems as though we rung someone's bell in Philadelphia...

An article of interest from Ben Stein.

Glorious Oklahoma | The American Spectator

Bueller....Bueller....

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    An article of interest from Ben Stein.

Glorious Oklahoma | The American Spectator

Bueller....Bueller....
    One of the stranger articles I've ever read. His basic argument is that OKC people are amazing because they're not angry at the things he is angry at (which they actually are maybe more than any city in the United States). He clearly just uses OKC as some kind of weird cover to passive aggressively bash Obama and suggest that student loans and racism aren't real problems. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    That whole website is geared to click-bait for people in every state and every big city. It's an easy "link-to" for civic boosters. There are sections for all 50 states. All positive. All glowing. All linkable, all clickable and - profitable. It will pass as a fun to click through patchwork travel guide, but I saw a lot of questionable content that seems to have been swiped. They'll keep it up until they get a DMCA. No coincidence they have a DMCA link at the bottom of each page.
    Yeah the article is pretty much word for word what was said in the 2013 chamber of commerce video. OKC's inferiority complex really comes across in it in my opinion. This isn't a negative attack on the city but on that specific video.

Personally I think the message in that video was a little too "hey hipsters, we are cool too!!!" The video last summer by The Coolist is much better in my opinion.

It appears all of the Oklahoma articles on that site are written by one woman.

Wow. A McKibben/Halpern article in the Smithsonian about Oklahoma City. That really is a nice piece. Do you know if that's in the print magazine as well? I'm guessing, since it's those two, it probably is. Great stuff!

I came here to post the same link (I saw it on Reddit). Pretty cool story, although the final paragraph was a bit of a depressing indictment of the general sentiment of a lot of young people in OKC. Namely, do what you can to help until you're in a position to GTFO, then GTFO with the intention of never looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Traxx,
    Actually, it happens occasionally, the following is from an article in today's DOK sports section.
    C. T.

Jessica Dustin, Director of Rooms for The Skirvin Hilton, said the bed bugs were reported on Sunday morning. Dustin said inspectors confirmed that the infestation was isolated to one room, which will be out of commission for “several weeks” after multiple treatments.

“Unfortunately, every hotel at some point or the other has a case of the bed bugs,” Dustin said Monday night. “We were fortunate enough that he did report it to us immediately.”

Dustin would not disclose the floor of the contamination.

“We were very fortunate we were coming off a lower occupancy,” Dustin said. “We took the necessary steps to remedy the situation.”

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Traxx,
    Actually, it happens occasionally, the following is from an article in today's DOK sports section.
    C. T.

Jessica Dustin, Director of Rooms for The Skirvin Hilton, said the bed bugs were reported on Sunday morning. Dustin said inspectors confirmed that the infestation was isolated to one room, which will be out of commission for “several weeks” after multiple treatments.

“Unfortunately, every hotel at some point or the other has a case of the bed bugs,” Dustin said Monday night. “We were fortunate enough that he did report it to us immediately.”

Dustin would not disclose the floor of the contamination.

“We were very fortunate we were coming off a lower occupancy,” Dustin said. “We took the necessary steps to remedy the situation.”
    Yea, it had sounded like it had gotten really bad nation wide (if not internationally) a few years ago, not sure if it is better or worse now.

Thread Information