Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

It's interesting to me that the top two cities (OKC and Austin) are both capital cities, and therefore rife with government jobs. A few posts I have read (on the politics forum? can't remember) deride how Oklahomans get more from the federal gov't than they give ($1.35 in and $1.00 out? can't remember) but want smaller gov't. While I know I'm not quoting anybody accurately, the gist I took away from those posts is that OK economy would suck if not for the federal gov't installations, so shut up and get back to sucking on the gov't teat. Sure, my takeaway is slightly incendiary, but that's how I read some of those posts. This list rating the largest 102 metros in the U.S. doesn't seem to care about anything but private sector jobs and other private sector stastics in ranking OK number 1 two months in a row. How can that info be reconciled? Is it the cushion of gov't jobs that makes it possible for the top two cities to thrive so? or have we really solved the puzzle that others haven't?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    It's interesting to me that the top two cities (OKC and Austin) are both capital cities, and therefore rife with government jobs. A few posts I have read (on the politics forum? can't remember) deride how Oklahomans get more from the federal gov't than they give ($1.35 in and $1.00 out? can't remember) but want smaller gov't. While I know I'm not quoting anybody accurately, the gist I took away from those posts is that OK economy would suck if not for the federal gov't installations, so shut up and get back to sucking on the gov't teat. Sure, my takeaway is slightly incendiary, but that's how I read some of those posts. This list rating the largest 102 metros in the U.S. doesn't seem to care about anything but private sector jobs and other private sector stastics in ranking OK number 1 two months in a row. How can that info be reconciled? Is it the cushion of gov't jobs that makes it possible for the top two cities to thrive so? or have we really solved the puzzle that others haven't?
    We've actually probably lost public sector jobs, but they do provide a baseline cushion for our economy. And a lot of the "private sector" jobs, such as those at Tinker, come from government contracts to private employers. Think about FAA, Tinker, OUHSC, State Government jobs, Federal Government jobs, universities, City employees, etc. and you have a huge base of government employment.

We have also seen big gains in jobs from companies like Devon, Chesapeake, Sandridge, and Continental. These are definitely not government jobs. But one wonders if this sector will continue to grow -- or even hold its current position -- with the situation brewing at Chesapeake.

another OKC in the press item:
    El Paso officials visit Oklahoma City: Unity is key to success, Oklahoma leaders stress - El Paso Times

From the recent visit of El Paso folks to our fine city.

Cindy Ramirez posted a number of nice photos of the visit to her twitter page:
    Cindy Ramirez twitter pics

That's an interesting article but it's not surprising there were a few inaccuracies.
    I hope they enjoyed visiting our "hospital" district. LOL
    OKC has had periods of population stagnation but never "decades of population decline". Also the renovations to the "Ford Center" were not part of the MAPS 3 projects.

5. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

I also think they should have considered the entire Metropolitan OKC 1.3M population and not just the 600K central city. That extra 700K+ helps add to OKC's coffers (whether they like it or not, or even realize it) and that is why OKC can build cash so relatively quickly.

I'm also surprised the city didn't comment about the downtown Trolley (most popular of the MAPS 3 projects) and the new Convention Center (least popular and most expensive of the MAPS 3 projects; but also most politically 'supported' and controversial) since they laid out all of the original maps projects.

One other point of inaccuracy in the report, OKC had AAA-baseball way before Bricktown Ballpark was built in the OKC 89ers who played at AllSports Stadium. AAA baseball didn't start OKC's renaissance. If anything AAA baseball benefitted the most BECAUSE of MAPS, not the other way around. ....

But nice article from ELP nonetheless and I wish them the best - maybe soon ELP and OKC can play each other in AAA. .
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I also think they should have considered the entire Metropolitan OKC 1.3M population and not just the 600K central city. That extra 700K+ helps add to OKC's coffers (whether they like it or not, or even realize it) and that is why OKC can build cash so relatively quickly.

I'm also surprised the city didn't comment about the downtown Trolley (most popular of the MAPS 3 projects) and the new Convention Center (least popular and most expensive of the MAPS 3 projects; but also most politically 'supported' and controversial) since they laid out all of the original maps projects.

One other point of inaccuracy in the report, OKC had AAA-baseball way before Bricktown Ballpark was built in the OKC 89ers who played at AllSports Stadium. AAA baseball didn't start OKC's renaissance. If anything AAA baseball benefitted the most BECAUSE of MAPS, not the other way around. ....

But nice article from ELP nonetheless and I wish them the best - maybe soon ELP and OKC can play each other in AAA. .
    Without rereading it, are you sure they didn't comment on the streetcar (definitely not a "trolley")? Oh well, the insiders seem only interested in the convention center, because they think that'll make us "big league."

Found this blog entry for the ACCE (American Chamber of Commerce Executives) from a guy scouting out their convention next year.

Wait till you see OKC

Nothing new here, but it's just fun to read an outsider gushing enthusiastically over our city. I know, I know... he's not likely to say bad things since he's plugging for their upcoming convention. Still.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

sorry, we say Trolley/Streetcar equally out here
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It's interesting that one of the things that article praises OKC for is it's "active lifestyle". I know we have made great strides in that area and maybe it's starting to pay off imagewise.
    I know every time I am at Lake Hefner its always very crowded with cyclists, joggers, walkers, etc. I rollerblade and have actually found another place because the Hefner trail is usually so crowded its less enjoyable.

Metro Jacksonville has just posted a great article:

Downtown Revitalization: Oklahoma City | Metro Jacksonville

Some reporters from Jacksonville, Florida have come to our fair city to have a look. And boy, did they take a nice long look! This is a suprisingly lengthy and comprehensive article. There are a few interesting comparisons made of the two cities at the beginning, but it's mostly an examination of what OKC has done and is still doing.

This thing is absolutely jam-packed with great photos. They really did the tour. And quite complimentary of OKC as well (e.g. arguing that downtown OKC is actually more walkable despite Jacksonville having a higher walk score). Reading through this thing, I get the feeling that the reporters (Ennis Davis and Robert Mann) have become outright OKC fans.

I did notice a few minor errors -- right off the bat, Devon Tower is listed as 900 feet (I wish!). But later on in the article, it's correctly documented as 844 feet. But on the whole, it's clear that they really studied up on OKC and have scrutinized the city very thoroughly.

Really good article. Great photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post

Some reporters from Jacksonville, Florida have come to our fair city to have a look. And boy, did they take a nice long look! This is a suprisingly lengthy and comprehensive article. There are a few interesting comparisons made of the two cities at the beginning, but it's mostly an examination of what OKC has done and is still doing.

This thing is absolutely jam-packed with great photos. They really did the tour. And quite complimentary of OKC as well (e.g. arguing that downtown OKC is actually more walkable despite Jacksonville having a higher walk score). Reading through this thing, I get the feeling that the reporters (Ennis Davis and Robert Mann) have become outright OKC fans.

I did notice a few minor errors -- right off the bat, Devon Tower is listed as 900 feet (I wish!). But later on in the article, it's correctly documented as 844 feet. But on the whole, it's clear that they really studied up on OKC and have scrutinized the city very thoroughly.

Yes, my son who lives in a close-in neighborhood in Jacksonville undergoing gentrification sent this to me a few hours ago. He was bemoaning leadership in Jacksonville, and I told him to get involved. I wonder if there is a message board equivalent there in JAX. He was pleased to see both the streetcar map and our house in the article, as was I.

Weird coincidence. I was just looking up pictures of Horton Plaza in San Diego a couple of hours ago for another thread and ended up linking to a picture from this very same publication. Odds? Great article! I don't know how I missed it and it's a great series http://www.metrojacksonville.com/learning-from/ .

Well, there is a lively thread going on in the article's comment section. I learned one new thing -- that Jacksonville folks refer to their city as Jax (didn't know that).

Incidentally, there is a complementary gallery to that article that contains 410 (!) photos. Obviously, many many more than fit into the article itself:

Oklahoma City - Metro Jacksonville Photos | Jacksonville Fl

Here's a couple of samples:

Hot Damn I'm glad I call this place home.

And if you haven't already, go read the veiwer commentary. It's funny

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    And if you haven't already, go read the veiwer commentary. It's funny
    I was surprised, nay almost shocked, at how pro-OKC the commentary veered. Every time that I read a user forum or comment section from some other part of the country about OKC, I sort of cringe and prepare myself for the inevitable barrage of negative slurs (hicksville, toothless bumpkins, trailer trash, ...) Definitely not so for this article.

Maybe... just maybe... there's an inkling of realization in other parts of the country that OKC is not some bland, anonymous dump in the middle of nowheresville.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I applaud your insight on OKC and America. Our conservative friends are so myopic, they can't see the forest for the trees!

I can't believe that some state legislators and our governor want to decrease taxes on the very wealthy before fixing our state Capitol building!

Our nation and the world would be better off if we taxed the rich a lot more (since the top 2% of the wealthy NOW own half of America's wealth), and spent more money investing in the American people like we did in the 1950's when we built America's Interstate Highways, built Tinker AFB, started the space program, paid for humongous World War II debts, the Korean War, the MacArthur Plan to rebuild Europe, the GI bill to pay for college and homes for returning Veterans and BALANCED the federal budget. The inequality of our current tax system (where the rich are paying proportionally less than ever) is really screwing up America's goal of a strong middle class. The wealthy's opulence is not trickling down. We need to bring back the economy and truly graduated taxation of the 1950's and 1960's. If we reversed our idiotic tax structure, America could start reinvesting in itself and our middle class.

Sorry I got political in a forum about OKC in the press. In spite of my taxation opinions, I'm a big supporter of all the MAPS programs that are dedicated to making OKC's infrastructure so much more aesthetic & useful and is our gift to future generations. I am really proud that my city of birth is setting an example to be emulated by many other of our nation's cities.

John Hite, retired, Oklahoma City

Great article and I love the take on our city, but they obviously got a few things wrong: "OKC, has a short cold winter, and a short extreme summer, everything in-between is some of America's best crystal clear, shirt sleeve weather..."

Quote Originally Posted by dteagle View Post
    Great article and I love the take on our city, but they obviously got a few things wrong: "OKC, has a short cold winter, and a short extreme summer, everything in-between is some of America's best crystal clear, shirt sleeve weather..."
    I thought that was particularly funny :-P.

Generally, Nov. through Feb is pretty harsh (relatively speaking) and mid-June through mid-Sept. is pretty dang hot. No more than half the year is the weather shirt-sleeve compatible.

There's a comment that got me thinking in there...I would think it would be difficult, but it would be awesome to have a great Jazz venue in Deep Deuce to tie to the history of the district. It would need to be popular with the locals and be a draw for outsiders...but I really can't think of any super solid Jazz venues in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I thought that was particularly funny :-P.

Generally, Nov. through Feb is pretty harsh (relatively speaking) and mid-June through mid-Sept. is pretty dang hot. No more than half the year is the weather shirt-sleeve compatible.
    I think that is highly dependent on what your perspective is. Someone from FL or TX would think its freezing here in the winter, but we are generally warmer than probably 75% of the country in the winter. Of course the wind can make it seem colder than it would be otherwise.

Maybe its because of a string of warm winters, but in my 7 years in OK, I remember far more instances of 65 degree, sunny weather in January than I remember snow or ice.

There's a comment that got me thinking in there...I would think it would be difficult, but it would be awesome to have a great Jazz venue in Deep Deuce to tie to the history of the district. It would need to be popular with the locals and be a draw for outsiders...but I really can't think of any super solid Jazz venues in OKC.
    I agree. Urban Roots is probably the closest. Its very popular with the "buppie" set and they do have a mix of jazz artists, poetry readings, etc. It would be nice to have strictly jazz only type place.

Quote Originally Posted by dteagle View Post
    I actually agree with that. I don't consider November a bad month for weather at all. December is variable. You can count on crappy weather January 1 through February 15 and July1 to September 15. The rest of the year I consider the weather generally better than a lot of other places in the US. But July and August I consider impressively awful.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I actually agree with that. I don't consider November a bad month for weather at all. December is variable. You can count on crappy weather January 1 through February 15 and July1 to September 15. The rest of the year I consider the weather generally better than a lot of other places in the US. But July and August I consider impressively awful.
    As someone who used to live in coastal SoCal, I guess I was spoiled with 55-80 degree weather almost the entire year. I love OKC, but weather here is one of the few things I consider inferior to my past experience - by a huge margin.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    The biggest complaint I have with Oklahoma weather when it is "nice outside" is the wind. I just went for a short ride to the gardens to sit and work and man, it just wasn't pleasant. We need more buildings and trees.
    Much as the wind can be annoying, if there is no wind/breeze, I feel naked.

Thread Information