Widgets Magazine
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 55051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1533

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

That video is exactly why the only way you could categorize Oklahoma regionally is "Texoma", though I think it really is just Oklahoma all by its lonesome.

Blog Entries

Good video.

It covered the various changes of both states and set the stage of trends throughout the last 3 centuries.

The end of the video predicts more influx into Oklahoma especially Tulsa where we see those changes on the horizon. Oklahoma City will continue to focus on quality of life and will continue to lead the influx of raw growth; whereas Tulsa will have the higher growth rate.

God Bless Oklahoma.

Thanks Plutonic Panda.

OKC supposedly the 5th dirtiest US city:

https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/stu...ates/#rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

I guess I have never noticed our garbage disposal being awful here. I figured that was a good thing (like a long snapper, where they only say your name when you screw up).

Really? SF, Seattle, KC, and a lot of other cities are extremely dirty but then again I like a gritty city like SF and Seattle or at least I did when I was in my 20's and early 20's.

My nephew from Palmdale/Lancaster CA always says something about how clean it is here when he visits but antelope valley in CA is like another planet.

This seems like it has some poorly thought out ways to evaluate being dirty. Consumer Satisfaction seems questionable how well it ties to dirtiness. Green house gases per capita tends to have in inverses relationship to how concentrated air pollution is in a city, as it tends to be higher in the lowest density cities, so air pollution sources are much more spread out. It is interesting how many top 10 Living Condition Rank cities ended up in their top 10 dirtiest cities. Infrastructure rank also seems like it can have low correlation to what I would consider a dirty city as well.

Why is a lawn care website putting out a "dirtiest cities" listicle?

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

I've looked them up before. I wouldn't put much importance in it.

9. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

This list is garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Why is a lawn care website putting out a "dirtiest cities" listicle?
    Got to get those "clicks". They are not even a lawn care company. What they do is redirect people to lawn care companies who then in turn pay lawnstarter. They probably started off as more of a blog hence the click bait list.

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...-oklahoma-city

Saw the mayor tweeted this out. Pretty great press for the city that also links to a lot of the other recent journalism about the diverse communities here and makes us seem cooler than any other piece I can remember. (I must admit I'm a tad annoyed, as the pedant I am, that the author said we were the 22nd largest metropolitan area when that's true of our city limits—we are instead just the 42nd largest metro area—but I'd guess the majority of people won't be as fussed as I am about such a thing, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post

Saw the mayor tweeted this out. Pretty great press for the city that also links to a lot of the other recent journalism about the diverse communities here and makes us seem cooler than any other piece I can remember. (I must admit I'm a tad annoyed, as the pedant I am, that the author said we were the 22nd largest metropolitan area when that's true of our city limits—we are instead just the 42nd largest metro area—but I'd guess the majority of people won't be as fussed as I am about such a thing, lol.)
    it is a really silly mistake to make .

and an underrated riverwalk that gives San Antonio a run for its money
    lol

Yeah... the riverwalk comparison is a joke. It made me question a lot of other things in the article.

I thought it was a great article. I grew up in San Antonio and the worst thing to hear from someone visiting is lets go to the riverwalk.

It really is not that special unless you are a tourist. Sure San Antonio's riverwalk is larger/longer than OKC's bricktown canal but they are two different concepts.

the san antonio riverwalk tour is 35 minutes long and the bricktown canal is 40 minutes long. Technically the riverwalk is 15 miles long but nobody really knows that because most of it is outside of downtown.

downtown SA definitely has a lot more to do than downtown which is comparable to what is going on in bricktown now

The San Antonio river walk is far more pleasant to use just as a place to walk.

I still haven’t been to the SA river walk but it’s ridiculous to compare the Bricktown Canal to the Riverwalk. That’s like comparing Frontier City to Disneyland. Not that the Bricktown Canal doesn’t have potential but to me it’s so depressing and dead versus every pic I see of the river walk is a flush, vibrant, businesses left and right, absolutely beautiful area. That article is comical.

I still haven’t been to the SA river walk but it’s ridiculous to compare the Bricktown Canal to the Riverwalk. That’s like comparing Frontier City to Disneyland. Not that the Bricktown Canal doesn’t have potential but to me it’s so depressing and dead versus every pic I see of the river walk is a flush, vibrant, businesses left and right, absolutely beautiful area. That article is comical.
    It's stupid to compare SA riverwalk to OKC bricktown canal they are two different concepts with one thing in common.

the riverwalk is the most popular thing for tourists in SA and then the Alamo plus SA is almost 3 times the population as OKC and I'm not talking about the metro.

I'd bet most people only know of downtown SA and the riverwalk and a few might be familiar with Alamo Heights, Pearl/Broadway, Olmos Park (which isn't much), Six Flags/The Rim and the Deco district and that's it

Oh and SeaWorld and forgot about King Williams/SouthTown

It was a good article but yeah, the author should never have compared the canal to the riverwalk and The Plaza to Wynwood in Miami

Do you live in OKC or go downtown/bricktown/filmrow/farmersmarket/artsdistrict/ironworks district etc? It is packed on the weekends. Only think downtown or near downtown SA is the Pearl/Broadway and the riverwalk and a few cool spots in the deco district if you know were that is.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

No. 7 place to visit this summer from Travel and Leisure?
    https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...es-travel-july

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    No. 7 place to visit this summer from Travel and Leisure?
    https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...es-travel-july
    T&L has been giving OKC a lot of love the last couple of years.

Yeah and it’s an actual river, not a large water feature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah and it’s an actual river, not a large water feature.
    Actually, wasn’t it originally a sewer creek? Thought I had read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Actually, wasn’t it originally a sewer creek? Thought I had read that.
    Not exactly. San Antonio's Riverwalk is an actual river, as PhiAlpha stated - the San Antonio River. After a disastrous flood in the early 1920's, flood control measures were built, including a dam well upstream of downtown San Antonio and a canal to bypass a prominent bend in the river through downtown. The original proposal was to pave over the now-bypassed bend in the river and turn it into a storm sewer, but that was protested by citizens and instead that part of the river was left alone. Eventually the City initiated the "San Antonio River Beautification Project" which began the transformation of the channel into the multi-use facility you see today.

25. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

OKC could have done the same thing with the OK River (which is much bigger than the SA river) but I think the canal is perfect for OKC and nothing to be ashamed of. It's a great feature that makes OKC unique, so be proud of it even when journalists get it wrong or compare - let them, it was positive for OKC. Dang people. ... (shakes head)
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information