Widgets Magazine
Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1557

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

1. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Thank you. I am making an effort to not be as inflammatory (which I have been guilty of, and with the exception of one troll poster) because of the rhetoric being thrown around the country (and also on here). People are being personally attacked not for supporting the current President but for just being more conservative than an increasingly hostile left. When elderly people are being physically attacked for just wearing MAGA hats, as has been the case here in Denver, people just need to calm down.

I moved back to OKC briefly in 2009 but moved back to Denver due to work. I have many family members there so I am in town roughly monthly.

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Thank you. I am making an effort to not be as inflammatory (which I have been guilty of, and with the exception of one troll poster) because of the rhetoric being thrown around the country (and also on here). People are being personally attacked not for supporting the current President but for just being more conservative than an increasingly hostile left. When elderly people are being physically attacked for just wearing MAGA hats, as has been the case here in Denver, people just need to calm down.

I moved back to OKC briefly in 2009 but moved back to Denver due to work. I have many family members there so I am in town roughly monthly.
    And you are failing spectacularly. Right wing terrorists killed fifty people in the US in 2018. The "increasingly hostile left"? Zero. Stop getting your news from facebook memes.

Thing is, Oklahoma City is much more liberal & diverse than the rest of the state. Yes people move out, but we still have people move in. But you have to remember at the beginning of the decade Oklahoma City metro area had a boom in population & now it has gone stagnant. You can't gauge the vitality of the state/city on just data from a few years. It would be interesting to see the new population data when the official census is done next year, so we can see the growth over a ten year period.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m pretty sure by now most assume unless it’s an editorial they will be needing a sub to view JR articles. But thanks I guess for the screenshot.

At the risk of being mislead by a clickbait title, the article shows there is many people leaving the state. This kind of news is good or bad depending on how you look at it. I see it as bad that it is happening and a good thing it is being reported on to get people in denial that it is happening aware it really is which may lead to something being done about it.

There is no reason for this to be happening in Oklahoma, a state with some of the most natural resources. Oklahoma is also a very geographically diverse state with rich culture and history of people would take the time to learn which could be helped with the state showcasing it more.

Unfortunately, and this is in no way shape or form directed at you, but it exhausting to vocalize the slightest ounce of criticism as it seems every time you do you get the old Oklahoma mantra “you don’t like then leave.” Or I’m just told I don’t like Oklahoma or I should mind my own business because I live in LA. All three of those are weak arguments indicative of someone who doesn’t have sound argument to come back at mine with. Alas, if I had a nickel every time I was told that maybe I could find education in Oklahoma to proper levels.

I didn't care one way or the other about people leaving.

I initially thought, "Oh hey, a source is given here. I am going to go check it out. Oh, paywall."
    Perhaps I am in the minority who didn't know that JR articles required a sub, in addition to being in the minority that I don't have multiple subscriptions for the news.

If indeed I am in the minority, and it turns out I didn't give anybody a heads up that it required a sub than I'm wrong and will correct my comments in the future accordingly. My initial impression was, "Oklahoma Exodus, don't believe me? Go read about it here. Can't read it? Pay the sub fee to read this one article"

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I didn't care one way or the other about people leaving.

I initially thought, "Oh hey, a source is given here. I am going to go check it out. Oh, paywall."
    Perhaps I am in the minority who didn't know that JR articles required a sub, in addition to being in the minority that I don't have multiple subscriptions for the news.

If indeed I am in the minority, and it turns out I didn't give anybody a heads up that it required a sub than I'm wrong and will correct my comments in the future accordingly. My initial impression was, "Oklahoma Exodus, don't believe me? Go read about it here. Can't read it? Pay the sub fee to read this one article"
    I typed “Oklahoma Exodus” to give people an idea of what the article is about as opposed to posting a link with no other context.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    And you are failing spectacularly. Right wing terrorists killed fifty people in the US in 2018. The "increasingly hostile left"? Zero. Stop getting your news from facebook memes.
    Aaaaaand you are exactly why it's a hard thing to accomplish. While you make a good point on the right wingnuts, the incredibly common physical attacks, not on politicians but on everyday people who simply support conservative issues are fact. Maybe you should venture away from left wing sites and see what actual news isn't being reported - you know, broaden your mind with a well-rounded, fully-informed viewpont. The tone of your answer proves my point. Oh, and l don't use Facebook, Mr. checkthat.

Provide a Link or its false.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Oh, he's right on murders. I'm just talking about strangers simply accosting strangers because of their political views. Even 70+ year olds aren't off limits. This political hostility is getting out of hand but even the tone of his post is another example.

It's amazing that someone who claims to not watch Fox News or use facebook is always 100% in line with the right wing talking points du jour. Did the shouty man on the radio melt your brain? Genuinely curious.

Mr. mugofbeer, go back and read some of the rants you have posted on this website. Then, print some out and take them to a therapist. Maybe they can help?

Mr. OKC Guy, it's no 8chan link, but it will have to do:

https://www.adl.org/murder-and-extremism-2018

http://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/...mpression=true It looks like the state is going to start putting more emphasis on tourism. It's about time. Oklahoma could be a tourism mecca if marketed correctly. Not only would it be good for the economy, but it would incentivize some people to move here

11. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

It's amazing that someone who claims to not watch Fox News or use facebook is always 100% in line with the right wing talking points du jour. Did the shouty man on the radio melt your brain? Genuinely curious.

Mr. mugofbeer, go back and read some of the rants you have posted on this website. Then, print some out and take them to a therapist. Maybe they can help?

Mr. OKC Guy, it's no 8chan link, but it will have to do:

https://www.adl.org/murder-and-extremism-2018
    It's called having a set of political beliefs which may or may not agree with the current administration. I'm far from being conservative across the board. I don't get my beliefs from the news and I take the information from whatever source with a grain of salt to determine the slant it's coming from. Maybe you should try the same or by stepping away from the usual leftist blogs and read some sources you may not agree with to find out other news your blogs don't discuss.

I never said I don't watch FoxNews but it's just another source along with the rest of the MSM, Newsy, Smartnews, Al Jazzera, BBC and many others. You've made lots of general accusations but as is so common, when you can't make a specific argument, just go after someone personally call names and make ignorant assertions.

As far as I know, I've never discussed anything with you on here, met you personally and have no idea who you are just as you have no idea who I am so you have no idea what I do, what I believe, who I know, etc. You've just decided to jump in and prove exactly, yet again, what I have said. The left simply can't be civil anymore. And no, yet again, I don't listen to AM radio. Try again. Find another boogeyman.

Or are you of the same ilk as this? Should have seen the original version they printed.:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/20...GWK/story.html

And by the way, we are off topic so if you find the need to cast more aspersions on me, move it elsewhere. I'm done with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Surprised about them? NO has cajun (not healthy) food, Nashville has hot chicken (also not healthy). Louisville (KFC/Yum Brands). San Antonio has BBQ and Mexican. All seem perfectly reasonable as to why they would be high up there with OKC.
    Tex-mex, not Mexican. Although, there are traditional Mexican restaurants in SA, what SA is known for and what people usually eat when they’re here is regional Tex mex. Traditional Mexican food, found in Mexico, is nothing like Tex mex.

And yes, lots of amazing bbq down here too.

https://www.opensignal.com/blog/2019...for-5g-to-beat

"Cleveland (33.8 Mbps) and Minneapolis (32.2 Mbps) offered users the fastest Download Speed Experience across the fifty largest cities. Speeds in the leading cities were almost twice as fast as bottom-placed Oklahoma City."

14. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

^not the press we want to hear!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Not sure how much any of this is OKC's fault.

It's less of a fault thing than just a reality thing, imo. This is a quality of life issue nowadays, and it can affect how attractive OKC is for businesses and residents.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It's less of a fault thing than just a reality thing, imo. This is a quality of life issue nowadays, and it can affect how attractive OKC is for businesses and residents.
    meh. most of us are in wi-fi networks 90% of the day anyway.

but speaking of fast cell service, I was in one of the nicer parts of Tulsa last week, and, to my great pleasure, discovered that they have 5GE from AT&T. I was getting easily 55-60 Mbps, which was a nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    meh. most of us are in wi-fi networks 90% of the day anyway.

but speaking of fast cell service, I was in one of the nicer parts of Tulsa last week, and, to my great pleasure, discovered that they have 5GE from AT&T. I was getting easily 55-60 Mbps, which was a nice surprise.
    We had it here, and AT&T pulled it (I think because of Sprint suing them), so surprised you saw it in Tulsa. 5GE is still just 4G, with a fancy label on it.

I still would like more than just Cox or AT&T as providers in my neighborhood...

20. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I still would like more than just Cox or AT&T as providers in my neighborhood...
    OEC Fiber is getting closer every day in Norman. Can't wait for some competition to Cox in our area.

So would I, although I am curious how many communities the size of OKC have more than two options.

I'd also love to see municipal wifi in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    So would I, although I am curious how many communities the size of OKC have more than two options.

I'd also love to see municipal wifi in Edmond.
    Where is xFinity, or Fios, or Suddenlink, and why is OEC so far south. I just don't understand why cable/internet/utility companies are allowed to operate as monopolies or oligarchies in this state.

23. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

we can find out what other cities are doing to be ahead, and perhaps do that? In all seriousness, OKC doesn't want to constantly be on these lists in last place. It does reflect with those who may chose to relocate be they business or residents. I seriously hope we don't just adopt a "oh-well, nothing we can do about it" moniker - otherwise we should have never done all of this maps and investment and just let OKC die back in the mid-1990s ala Detroit.

---------

there is a positive to that story however, sometimes being last helps you to become first! Thanks to AT&T.

from the same article
    AT&T's 5G launch cities is much broader than its competitors, with cities with a weak mobile network experience like Oklahoma City, Austin, Houston, Charlotte and New Orleans being among the first cities to receive 5G services from AT&T.
    see, isn't that better? as long as we don't just sit on the bottom of these lists and do nothing OKC will continue to improve. Next time they run that survey OKC wont be on the bottom. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Where is xFinity, or Fios, or Suddenlink, and why is OEC so far south. I just don't understand why cable/internet/utility companies are allowed to operate as monopolies or oligarchies in this state.
    XFinity is Comcast's current branding, but Oklahoma City is Cox territory and they do not overlap. FIOS is Verizon's FTH offering, basically the same thing as AT&T's Uverse service. They also don't overlap and Oklahoma is in AT&T's service area as a LEC. Suddenlink is a mostly small city/rural cable company and is not an overbuilder. They do not offer service in areas where larger providers like Cox and Comcast provide service.

None of this is unique to Oklahoma. Nearly all the US has a single cableco offering and single telco offering and that's it for high speed internet.

It is rare they do not operate as local monopolies or duopolies in the entire country, and if it were not for cable and telephone originally using such unique infrastructure then there would likely not even be a second option in most places. Though ATT/Verizion at least have the excuse the basically were the same company while much of their fixed line service regions were deployed and were later broken up (and mostly remerged into either of the two).

Thread Information