Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678954 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Also, I thought this thread was going to be a STICKY?

It's a nice article but I'm not sure the author entirely understands the latest MAPS concepts. It mentions that jogging and biking trails, sidewalks, and neighborhood parks are a priority in downtown development. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember anything in MAPS about neighborhood parks and the projects mentioned are more "city wide" than downtown centric. It mentions that "improved street design" has yielded impressive results. What improved street design is that refering to and what are the results? I know that Project 180 is remaking downtown streets but that has yet to yield much in the way of results and had nothing to do with MAPS.

Dont know if this has been mentioned anywhere yet!http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-...financial-news

OKC ranks sixth for The top 10 cities for minority entrepreneurs http://blogs.forbes.com/brettnelson/...preneurs-2011/

Nice CNN clip.

Very Nice Clip and exposure of the great place OKC really is and getting better!!

Wow. That is awesome!

From Friday's Washington Post, "The Impulsive Traveler: Oklahoma City, beyond the bombing..." http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest....html?hpid=z11

^^^ Not too sure this dude actually visited, or at least he didn't drive himself around town (directionally challenged). If he wanted to understand OKC history, he shoulda visited a few more places, like Stockyards, Overholser Mansion, the Capitol, etc. Maybe a visit with the mayor? No mention of MAPS, no mention of the Thunder, and certainly no mention of the relationship between the Bombing to the present i.e. the genesis for today's transformed/transforming city. Not a very comprehensive visit or article, I'd grade it a C-.

After my visit I was lucky enough to grab lunch at nearby Big Truck Tacos, a former lunch truck whose popularity has caused it to be permanently parked.
    I know they have a building location, but when did the mobile unit become "permanently parked"?

Quote Originally Posted by earlywinegareth View Post
    ^^^ Not too sure this dude actually visited, or at least he didn't drive himself around town (directionally challenged). If he wanted to understand OKC history, he shoulda visited a few more places, like Stockyards, Overholser Mansion, the Capitol, etc. Maybe a visit with the mayor? No mention of MAPS, no mention of the Thunder, and certainly no mention of the relationship between the Bombing to the present i.e. the genesis for today's transformed/transforming city. Not a very comprehensive visit or article, I'd grade it a C-.
    I have no particular problem with the article. You can't expect a comprehensive story about OKC from a travel writer who is here for a short stay. That would take a book. It's just his impressions from a short visit and most of it was positive. 20 years ago no travel writer would even be coming here to write a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I know they have a building location, but when did the mobile unit become "permanently parked"?
    It isn't permanently parked, and now there are 2 trucks that make visits to various locations throughout the metro.

This article was a waste of time and energy, mostly backhanded compliments and nothing of real value added.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

very nice article and prospective.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

OKC ranks #2 nationally for creation and development of small business:

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...-rankings.html

^^ Now that is some good press!

And Tulsa at #6 on the same list, nice job Oklahoma!

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    It isn't permanently parked, and now there are 2 trucks that make visits to various locations throughout the metro.

This article was a waste of time and energy, mostly backhanded compliments and nothing of real value added.
    Au contraire, I thought most of the compliments were genuine. And anyone looking for a travel writer to only write completely positive comments aren't being realistic. The writers would lose credibility quickly. I actually think the article would encourage someone who has never thought about OKC to visit.

It's been over Four Month's since the last post on this thread and in all reality this could be a neverending thread that should be "Sticky" IMO!OKC makes two Forbes lists',One says OKC is in the top 6 in places to buy a house and the second say's OKC is a recession resistant city for real estate!http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44206485...ing-recession/

!!!! OMG they used a recent photo of our skyline! I'm shocked!

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    It's been over Four Month's since the last post on this thread and in all reality this could be a neverending thread that should be "Sticky" IMO!OKC makes two Forbes lists',One says OKC is in the top 6 in places to buy a house and the second say's OKC is a recession resistant city for real estate!http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44206485...ing-recession/
    I find it interesting that they describe OKC as a "Midwestern hub". I know this has been discussed before but I would never consider OKC to be in the Midwest.

Surprised nobody picked up on these:

Thunder On The Great Plains: Once Written-Off Region Enjoying Remarkable Revival

Number One Business Friendly City:

1. Oklahoma City: Great energy

23. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Mayor Cornett has a new posting in the Huffington Post today... this is awesome because HuffPo has huuuuuge online readership!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mick-c...b_1638228.html

The first few paragraphs:
    While we see the national economic numbers like everyone else and understand the challenges facing many American cities, these are good days in Oklahoma City. We found a concept that works here: investing in ourselves.

The Oklahoma City Thunder reached the NBA Finals. We hosted Olympic kayaking trials on the Oklahoma River this spring. On any given weekend, the Bricktown entertainment district is packed with people who are dining, enjoying canal boat rides, taking in movies or attending a baseball game in our downtown ballpark. People passing through Oklahoma City on I-40 drive under the iconic Oklahoma City SkyDance Bridge sculpture and have a dynamic view of the state's largest building, the Devon Energy Center.

None of that existed 20 years ago. No NBA franchise or arena. No state's tallest building or downtown ballpark or movies. I-40 was several blocks north and crumbling. There wasn't an Olympic rowing/kayaking training center. Heck, there wasn't even a river.

What happened?

Twenty-five years ago, Oklahoma City was competing for businesses with a toolbox full of attractive financial incentives and we were coming up short. We asked for a candid appraisal from a notable business we didn't get and were told that our incentives were as good, or better, than the competition. They simply didn't think their employees would want to live here.

Naturally, this came as a shock to us. We knew we had great people. We had a low cost of living, good schools and were considered a great place to raise a family. But we lacked the quality-of-life amenities that separate good cities from great cities.

Oklahoma City decided to change that.

I read the entire article by Mayor Mick. It's a good piece, it was very well written and the last half was quite impressive/exciting to read.

One thing I really have to critique though: No mention of rail. Why? He mentioned everything else. I find that the majority of the city council just doesn't think about it, or prioritizes it as far to the bottom of the list as they can. For an article whose trajectory is to end on a point about attracting the young creative class, quite frankly I don't think he understands how they think. Rail gets a lot of people excited. It was the most popular write-in candidate project for MAPS 3. Everyone seems to be for it. Except the people in charge.

Maybe it was an honest oversight. Maybe it was a poker tell, an unintentional insight into how the council thinks. Or worse, maybe it was deliberate. Does the mayor and the council really understand the benefits of rail? It's hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I read the entire article by Mayor Mick. It's a good piece, it was very well written and the last half was quite impressive/exciting to read.

One thing I really have to critique though: No mention of rail. Why? He mentioned everything else. I find that the majority of the city council just doesn't think about it, or prioritizes it as far to the bottom of the list as they can. For an article whose trajectory is to end on a point about attracting the young creative class, quite frankly I don't think he understands how they think. Rail gets a lot of people excited. It was the most popular write-in candidate project for MAPS 3. Everyone seems to be for it. Except the people in charge.

Maybe it was an honest oversight. Maybe it was a poker tell, an unintentional insight into how the council thinks. Or worse, maybe it was deliberate. Does the mayor and the council really understand the benefits of rail? It's hard to say.
    I don't think rail was overlooked in the article. He was detailing what we have accomplished not what we are hoping for in the future. Any city could say they hope to have rail options eventually. He was emphasizing how things are and how we go about improving our city.

Thread Information