Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Nice! Always glad to read and hear about the incredible transformation that has and continures to take place in OKC. Both the citizens and leaders of OKC are to commended for their vision.

I wonder if the civic leaders in the City of Champions ( Colorado Springs ) have aspirations of hosting an Olympic Event????? hhmmm????

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    I wonder if the civic leaders in the City of Champions ( Colorado Springs ) have aspirations of hosting an Olympic Event????? hhmmm????
    Denver could easily host the Winter Olympics and share some events with Colorado Springs. I don't however see even Denver being large or world-renowned enough to host the summer games. Face it, OKC will never have the Olympics. Let's focus on a more obtainable goal. I like the idea of the NBA All-Star game.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Denver could easily host the Winter Olympics and share some events with Colorado Springs. I don't however see even Denver being large or world-renowned enough to host the summer games. Face it, OKC will never have the Olympics. Let's focus on a more obtainable goal. I like the idea of the NBA All-Star game.
    Denver can easily host the Winter Games. They are bigger than SLC and much more connected to the transportation grid. Not to mention they probably have plenty of hotel rooms. You would likely see the wealth spread around since Denver itself isn't in the mountains. That isn't any issue though. When Vancouver hosted, most of the ski events and such were up in Whistler. Summer Games in Denver? Very doubtful.

Denver is the only city to ever turn down the Olympic games. they were the winter games of 1976

6. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Quote Originally Posted by Dar405301 View Post
    Denver is the only city to ever turn down the Olympic games. they were the winter games of 1976
    This caused some bad blood between the Olympic committee and Denver because it came kind of late. I'm not sure Colorado would want them even today without a lot of Federal assistance to improve highways and put in mountain rail The traffic out of Denver to the mountains is already awful in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    They have interest in keeping the National events of various USOC governing bodies they have now, maybe bringing some more National events but there is not any serious attempt at hosting the Olympics there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dar405301 View Post
    The base was going to be at Dillion on the West side of the divide. I knew investors who were snatching up property in Dillion in anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Denver can easily host the Winter Games. They are bigger than SLC and much more connected to the transportation grid. Not to mention they probably have plenty of hotel rooms. You would likely see the wealth spread around since Denver itself isn't in the mountains. That isn't any issue though. When Vancouver hosted, most of the ski events and such were up in Whistler. Summer Games in Denver? Very doubtful.
    Did you even READ the article? ...guess not. They are looking at OKC as an example of How to get things Done. My post regarding Olympics is to get us out of our "we cant we cant we cant" mindset. Others (cities) are looking at OKC and wondering what / how is this happening?

If others across the US are looking at us in a "new light", then maybe you should too.

The difference between hosting the Summer Olympics and the Winter Olympics is the difference between dating Ashley Judd and Wynonna Judd.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    The difference between hosting the Summer Olympics and the Winter Olympics is the difference between dating Ashley Judd and Wynonna Judd.
    Not sure I totally get that analogy. Ashley is kind of attractive but Wynonna is not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Not sure I totally get that analogy. Ashley is kind of attractive but Wynonna is not at all.
    The Summer Olympics are significantly more prestigious than the Winter Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    They have interest in keeping the National events of various USOC governing bodies they have now, maybe bringing some more National events but there is not any serious attempt at hosting the Olympics there.
    Yes, thank you. They are using OKC as the model to increase tourism w/ special events.

The Summer Olympics are significantly more prestigious than the Winter Olympics.
    Correct. The criteria for host cities are different. The Summer Olympics, with only a few exceptions, are hosted in truly world-class cities. Think Paris, New York, Chicago, Milan, Tokyo, etc. Atlanta would fall on the bottom rung of the tier of Olympic cities for the summer games and many say they should have never had the games in the first place. The location for the Winter Olympics is more determined by the nearby natural amenities than it is by the city itself, hence how Salt Lake City was able to host them.

Blog Entries

Except when your name is Putin and you decide to hold the Winter Olympics at a Summer resort (there are palm trees in Sochi for crying out loud!!!), climate and opinions be darned... :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    Always good when a twitter account with over 2M followers tweets about your Mayor.

https://twitter.com/TEDTalks/status/418786344995790849
    The video is pretty good as well. Good publicity for OKC.

Saw someone post that link on Facebook. Very cool!

Blog Entries

That's pretty neat.

Not really. Of the three roasters, Mariposa blows, and I haven't tried the other two. Why not just buy it online from someone who knows what the f they're doing.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LandRunOkie View Post
    Not really. Of the three roasters, Mariposa blows, and I haven't tried the other two. Why not just buy it online from someone who knows what the f they're doing.
    Very brilliant of you to critique two places as not knowing "what the f they're doing" when you haven't even been to them.

Elemental and Coffee Slingers are both very good. I hadn't heard of Mariposa.

I saw this and was going to post it. Probably one of the more interesting lists I've seen.

I would have added Evoke if I was writing that article.
    Where is that?

Tried Coffee Slingers. Not impressed with the coffee but the vibe was better than a Starbucks. Certainly nothing underrated about it.

Thread Information