Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

I tend to agree with this, especially given all of the negative things that could be written about us. The Atlantic has also had some pretty good write-ups about OKC as well.

I definitely think with the Thunder, starting with their run in 2010, a lot of journalists have taken a second look at us. Before the Thunder, we had a great things going on but it was hard to see a story about OKC not concerning, the bombing, tornadoes, etc.

Wow! What an incredibly inspiring commentary from Fareed Zakaria. I knew he was impressed with Oklahoma City because on local TV news when he gave the OU commencement address he said he didn't really know exactly what to expect, but sure not this! He said Oklahoma City was an inspiration. Now, with this video commentary it's obvious he wasn't blowing smoke for the locals, he really meant it! Wow.

I liked Fareed anyway for his common sense on CNN. It's refreshing for his rabid centrism that shows he is a thinker, seems like a great guy too.

I wish we could imbed CNN videos and videos from other websites other than YouTube, or maybe we can and I just don't know how.

Thanks for posting, LocoAko!

I don't ever do this, but I gotta *bump* because you have to see the video from CNN that LocoAko posted.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I don't ever do this, but I gotta *bump* because you have to see the video from CNN that LocoAko posted.
    Yeah, it was really great, and I was shocked to see it randomly on something like CNN which will obviously be seen far and wide. Great press! I knew he was the commencement speaker at OU but I didn't see any of the positive stuff he said to the local press - any links? Thanks!

Awesome video!!

HangryHippo Guest

That was a very nice video. Good to see some positive press after the recent devastation.

Great video. I'd only ask that someone (Will - are you listening?) make available more current stock video of the city.

The 20 Best Cities in America to be Young, Broke and Single - Money Under 30

OKC got #10 for best city to be young, broke, and single

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The 20 Best Cities in America to be Young, Broke and Single - Money Under 30

OKC got #10 for best city to be young, broke, and single
    No surprise there. We were recently ranked #7 best city for new college grads by apartments.com

You would be surprised how many younger people I know who have relocated to this area.

I didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread for this. A great piece from the Edmond Sun!

"Economist: Communities must be proactive for better futures
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Preserving cultural and educational development will be key for Edmond and communities along Interstate 35 to secure their upward trend in economic development that is evident from San Antonio, extending north through Oklahoma City to Kansas City, said Russell Evans, executive director of the Steven C. Agee Economic Research and Policy Institute.

“It’s going to hinge around the labor supply having the appropriate skill set to thrive in an innovative economy,” said Evans, assistant professor of economics at Meinders School of Business, Oklahoma City University.

Edmond is part of a megalopolis, a term used by economists when referring to leading economic regions in the U.S. The I-35 megalopolis is a leader in economic growth, Evans said this week at the Edmond Economic Development Authority’s 4o’clock 4cast.

“It’s true for Edmond as it is for Oklahoma City or Oklahoma as a whole, is identifying some core areas to develop around,” Evans said. “So the longevity of the energy industry, I still think is important to develop around.”

Councilman Nick Massey had asked Evans what could go wrong to derail economic development. What could go wrong is if a large oil and gas company would relocate away from the region, Evans said.

For Edmond, Evans said the community must continue being proactive and encouraged to build a core of economic activity that spurs further growth. The City of Moore has made it clear for several years that they do not want to be the hub of economic activity, he continue"

- See more at: Economist: Communities must be proactive for better futures » Local News » The Edmond Sun

The Weekend Interview With Bob Funk: Where the Jobs Are?and How to Get One - WSJ.com

Bob Funk, the CEO of Express Personnel, is the feature interviewee in the Wall Street Journal this weekend. Reading between the lines, there could be a possible business expansion opportunity in the cards for OKC with Express.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City Thunder's ranking among (2013 year) major professional sports franchises (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL):

1. Memphis Grizzlies
    2. San Antoino Spurs
    3. Indiana Pacers
    4. Oklahoma City Thunder
    5. Green Bay Packers
    6. Arizona Diamonbacks
    7. Pittsburgh Penguins
    8. Anaheim Ducks
    9. Ottawa Senators
    10. Baltimore Ravens

2012 Oklahoma City Thunder ranked No.1.

Ultimate Team Rankings - All Sports - SportsNation - ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Oklahoma City Thunder's ranking among (2013 year) major professional sports franchises (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL):

Ultimate Team Rankings - All Sports - SportsNation - ESPN
    Please tell me how Memphis beats San Antonio when San Antonio ranks in the Top 10 (out of 122) in all but 1 category (where they ranked 12th) and Memphis shows very poorly in others.

I don't really care, but when the data presented seems to make the best case for the 2nd place team, I call BCS on this garbage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Please tell me how Memphis beats San Antonio when San Antonio ranks in the Top 10 (out of 122) in all but 1 category (where they ranked 12th) and Memphis shows very poorly in others.

I don't really care, but when the data presented seems to make the best case for the 2nd place team, I call BCS on this garbage.
    I see exactly what you are saying. Just how much weight went to the various catagories for Memphis to place No.1?

The second place team, San Antonio finished 3rd in 2012; Memphis finished 5th in 2012. Again, how did they weigh those catagories? The formula of using catagories and voters much have something to do with this--trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. This just doesn't add up!

Their explanation:

Next, through ESPN.com and NetReflector, a Seattle opinion research company, we asked fans to rate their favorite teams online in each category. (Thanks to the 59,298 of you who responded!) We grouped the grades into seven of the eight subjects you see at right.

For the remaining category, bang for the buck, we relied on calculations we've developed with researchers at the University of Oregon's Warsaw Sports Marketing Center to figure out how efficiently teams convert revenues from fans into performance on the field (including postseason victories).

Finally, we combined each team's score across all eight categories into a weighted average, based on the results of our national poll. Since fans said affordability was about 40 percent more important than stadium experience, for example, our formula reflects that.

The result: the 2013 Ultimate Standings, the only rankings that combine fan perspectives with an objective measure of how well teams turn dollars into wins. Ultimately, it all counts.

Can anyone figure this out? These figures don't add up using the catagories. Plus, the select market drop down menu doesn't list Oklahoma City as a market. We were lost some years ago by a popular map company as a state and now Oklahoma City as a market doesn't exist on ESPN's market menu.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

Looks like manipulation from Seattle so OKC won't get #1 again.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

OKC mayor: ‘City has higher profile’ because of NBA

Cornett added that the Thunder’s presence has allowed Oklahoma City to have a different set of peer cities through a “very superficial level of equality.”

NBA?s Oklahoma City Thunder bring higher profile to city, Mayor tells Leadership Louisville audience - Louisville - Business First

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    OKC mayor: ‘City has higher profile’ because of NBA

Cornett added that the Thunder’s presence has allowed Oklahoma City to have a different set of peer cities through a “very superficial level of equality.”

NBA?s Oklahoma City Thunder bring higher profile to city, Mayor tells Leadership Louisville audience - Louisville - Business First

From my perspective there is NO DOUBT that the presence of the NBA in OKC has elevated the cities profile and personally I walk a whole lot taller, and talk a whole lot prouder because of the Thunder. This team has for me, given me a team to call my team in the professional ranks (because it is in my home State) which gives me an undescribable level of pride.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma City, In the Press

^ could not have said this any better and completely agree!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I agree, the Thunder has been a game changer for OKC and national perception. While many from the coasts still view this city as backwater (especially by people angry about the Sonics), its now on the map and people nationally talk about it, while before OKC was one of those places in flyover country people never thought about or realized was actually a decent sized place.

Does anybody have any idea why media outlets always use outdated photos of the OKC skyline? Rarely is one used that shows the Devon tower. Sometimes it seems like they show images that still have the Bank1One logo on the Chase tower. Is it intentional or can these journalists just not find more recent skyline shots?

Does anybody have any idea why media outlets always use outdated photos of the OKC skyline? Rarely is one used that shows the Devon tower. Sometimes it seems like they show images that still have the Bank1One logo on the Chase tower. Is it intentional or can these journalists just not find more recent skyline shots?
    It's probably just tough to eliminate the leftovers from 30 years of stagnation.

They are probably pulling stock photos from some service that only has ones from a few years ago. Even if the city or chamber of commerce were to freely release some under a very permissive license, a lot of news agencies would probably still just use the source they are familiar with and are assured the the legitimacy of the license

Thread Information