Widgets Magazine
Page 93 of 96 FirstFirst ... 43888990919293949596 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2386

Thread: Bricktown

Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I was looking at a historic photo the other day of this block before it was torn down for the Myriad. My thought was how cool if the grid and all the buildings were still there next to the arena and parks. Was imaging a thriving bar and restaurant scene with some housing mixed in. Could have been a cool area
    The Myriad has had a massive impact on the downtown area. But, finally, it is no longer needed. Will be a while before it is torn down, but it can be like a Power and Light type of district once it is torn down. That is my dream!

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The Myriad has had a massive impact on the downtown area. But, finally, it is no longer needed. Will be a while before it is torn down, but it can be like a Power and Light type of district once it is torn down. That is my dream!
    Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be torn down for another 20-30 years at least. Too much available land. If it ever is purchased by a developer it would probably need to be a very dense sky rise for the economics to work.

Blog Entries

OKC solar energy company EightTwenty proposes headquarters east of Bricktown
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...wn/8063331002/

Not technically Bricktown but wasn't sure where else to put it. Feel free to move.

Also, I like being able to use this awkward bit of land, but I hope it doesn't interfere with any needed tracks for future downtown-to-Tinker connectivity.

Is this 820 company run by the same guy who is the CEO of Heartland? I doubt there are two Tony Capucille's in OKC.

^^^

Yes

This is the property.

They are talking about extended Sheridan (middle left) to "better connect Bricktown and the JFK neighborhood" but it couldn't go past their project without dead-ending at the concrete plant. Seems like the only improved connection would be to their building unless they swung the street north, cross the rail line and tied into one of the existing n/s streets.

Connecting to Phillips or Laird would still be a huge improvement for access. Who owns all those vacant parcels to the north?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Connecting to Phillips or Laird would still be a huge improvement for access. Who owns all those vacant parcels to the north?
    You read my mind on the parcels to the north

Blog Entries

As OKC continues to pick of companies of this caliber, job growth will continue. You don't have to have a huge Amazon plant or large biotech expansion. Just continue on the path of bringing in companies; eventually it will lead to a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    A lot of that property has been scooped up by the group planning the Lincoln Square development.

In fact, this rendering shows Sheridan bending north and connecting to Phillips, which would make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the digging and info, Pete.

How big of a headquarters we talking?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A lot of that property has been scooped up by the group planning the Lincoln Square development.

In fact, this rendering shows Sheridan bending north and connecting to Phillips, which would make a lot of sense.

seems like the 2 biggest property owners and Corsair Cattle Co (the smith brothers) and Garrett and Company (Pat Garrett)

It is crazy how close in proximity that "neighborhood" north of the tracks and the Deep Deuce District are, yet the extreme contrasts in cost of living there. You basically have The Hill on one side of Lincoln/I235 and a few hundreds yards east you have some scary stuff. Shows just have impactful freeways/expressways and their connectivity are in creating divides.

^

I-235 is a massive barrier.

It would never be built today as people have come to recognize the long-term impacts of that sort of divide. Lots of cities have completely removed similar setups. It will never happen here, of course.

16. Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    It is crazy how close in proximity that "neighborhood" north of the tracks and the Deep Deuce District are, yet the extreme contrasts in cost of living there. You basically have The Hill on one side of Lincoln/I235 and a few hundreds yards east you have some scary stuff. Shows just have impactful freeways/expressways and their connectivity are in creating divides.
    All by design....

Just to think how different that pic will look with an active passenger rail line, that long parking lot alongside it developed, the uhaul lot, and Bricktown Events center lot developed.

This isn't related to Bricktown, but wasn't there like a restaurant or something that was going to be next to the rock climbing silos? Not sure if that ever happened or it was a fever dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This isn't related to Bricktown, but wasn't there like a restaurant or something that was going to be next to the rock climbing silos? Not sure if that ever happened or it was a fever dream.
    Several years ago, there was a conceptual idea to add a restaurant but nothing ever happened.

21. Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Several years ago, there was a conceptual idea to add a restaurant but nothing ever happened.
    The owner/developer of the property, Mark Ruffin, unfortunately was taken by COVID-19 some months ago. Not sure what is/has happened related to ownership, but I would guess that anything he may have been planning would now be reconsidered by whoever takes over control of that property.

Some new signage for the canal:

Blog Entries

Long needed/overdue

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Long needed/overdue
    Agree 100%

Bricktown and the canal were the catalyst to support the NBA when we opened the arena in 2002 and the NBA arrived in 2008. Would love to see more restaurants and entertainment life back in the area. $104 million in Arena upgrades on the horizon since 2011.

MAPS 4 IMO went overboard to appease a group that wanted to see more money devoted to projects away from the CBD. Let's not forget, 'Downtown' is a city's heart. Need to look at a possible future canal expansion and adding more attractions.

BTW is that the Brawny paper towel guy standing under the new signage...

Blog Entries

I'll need to look more closely by what/where is meant for the beautification portions of MAPS4, but I know a guy recently appointed to that committee (weird that it's in with transit/bikes, etc)...

Thread Information