Widgets Magazine
Page 46 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2386

Thread: Bricktown

Default Re: Bricktown

I wonder how this will work with existing ABC-3 permits?

Typically, the permit is attached to a property so even in the case where clubs have closed, under current rules another could open without having to apply for a new liquor license.

And since ABC-3's are already attached to many Bricktown properties, it seems they would already be grandfathered in.

I've always wondered why BT doesn't do more residential? Some of these buildings could be rennovated and could make some cool lofts, etc. I would love to see some residential along the canal with balconies facing the water, as I think that would be very cool. It would benefit the businesses as more people living down there to go along with the hotel guests, would add so much more to the restaurants and entertainment as well. It would also provide even more foot and street interaction. Does anyone know why this hasn't been done because if I had the money, I would do something like this. It could be one of the most hip and popular places to be because of all the action all around it. I lived in the Plaza in KC back in the 90's and loved being around so many things to do and I think BT could do something in nature with more residential stuff. How cool would it be to see even more infill from residential? I think BT Towers would be a home run due to the fact that it is so close to BT and the river activiites. Thoughts???

3. Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wonder how this will work with existing ABC-3 permits?

Typically, the permit is attached to a property so even in the case where clubs have closed, under current rules another could open without having to apply for a new liquor license.

And since ABC-3's are already attached to many Bricktown properties, it seems they would already be grandfathered in.
    Existing operators would be grandfathered as long as they had the same ownership, even when re-concepting. New owners, even in previously-licensed spaces, would have to apply for NEW ABC-3 zoning.

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    I've always wondered why BT doesn't do more residential? Some of these buildings could be rennovated and could make some cool lofts, etc. I would love to see some residential along the canal with balconies facing the water, as I think that would be very cool. It would benefit the businesses as more people living down there to go along with the hotel guests, would add so much more to the restaurants and entertainment as well. It would also provide even more foot and street interaction. Does anyone know why this hasn't been done because if I had the money, I would do something like this. It could be one of the most hip and popular places to be because of all the action all around it. I lived in the Plaza in KC back in the 90's and loved being around so many things to do and I think BT could do something in nature with more residential stuff. How cool would it be to see even more infill from residential? I think BT Towers would be a home run due to the fact that it is so close to BT and the river activiites. Thoughts???
    I agree. I'd love to see some housing in Bricktown. It's got a lot more character than Deep Deuce (even as a resident, I have to admit that Deep Deuce doesn't have much to recommend it visually, perhaps except for the brownstones and the vintage buildings) and more to do. I would think housing there would be a slam dunk for people who want to live in the midst of that kind of activity, in great old vintage buildings.

5. Default Re: Bricktown

Apparently, the Oklahoman fixed their paywall issue for the mobile site. Looks like I'll have to wait and read the article when it becomes available.

Let me just advise a word of caution from an outsiders perspective.
    Don't let BT lose it's entertainment appeal. People who visit the city or come in from out of town on business, family visits, etc. or people such as myself who drive down just for a weekend love the nightlife down there. This is also vitally important in keeping younger crowds in the city. It seems this has become priority for some cities such as Austin, and realize that younger generations who stay and don't migrate, help grow the city quicker.

I can understand not wanting some of the night clubs, but you definitely need to keep the bar and restaurant scenes healthy. People remember things when they had fun.

Basically, the NewCrestImage group (which developed the new Holiday Inn Express) is also developing the Steelyard hotel(s).

Originally, it was to be a Hyatt Place but now they are talking about two 150 room hotels on that site, one being AC by Marriott. The second is undetermined by likely to be Hyatt Place.

AC is a new concept to the U.S. NewCrestImage opened the first of this brand in New Orleans but now Marriott is moving the concept forward and several more are planned around the country. They have had a bunch of these in Europe for a while.

AC is very similar to Canopy by Hilton and Aloft. All are urban, modern and somewhat up-market.

Here are some photos of the New Orleans property:

8. Default Re: Bricktown

The bar and nightlife scene isn't going anywhere; in fact I suspect it is soon to be much stronger. I think the elimination of drink-til-you-puke assault/murder/rape factories will prove to be an incentive for higher-quality operators to get involved in a district that they had previously written off. The emergence of live music as a major attraction will strengthen the mix, and with quality residential, hotel and retail taking shape the district will be bustling around the clock, seven days a week (we've already been seeing this trend).

Again, nightlife, restaurants, bars, and even a few WELL-RUN, UPSCALE clubs are and will remain a significant part of the mix. The overreaction here to moves that should instead be universally celebrated is unwarranted.

I think the district is finally moving in a direction that many on this board and elsewhere have wanted all along; a place that is appealing to locals and visitors alike, one of the most large, vibrant entertainment districts in this part of the country, and yet also place that has a well-rounded, vibrant feel during the day.

Basically, the NewCrestImage group (which developed the new Holiday Inn Express) is also developing the Steelyard hotel(s).

Originally, it was to be a Hyatt Place but now they are talking about two 150 room hotels on that site, one being AC by Marriott. The second is undetermined by likely to be Hyatt Place.

AC is a new concept to the U.S. NewCrestImage opened the first of this brand in New Orleans but now Marriott is moving the concept forward and several more are planned around the country. They have had a bunch of these in Europe for a while.

AC is very similar to Canopy by Hilton and Aloft. All are urban, modern and somewhat up-market.

Here are some photos of the New Orleans property:
    Wow, that will be an excellent addition to that part of bricktown.

Will be very interesting to see how Canopy, AC and Hyatt Place -- all modern motifs -- design within the Bricktown constraints.

Remember, the Holiday Inn Express had to go round and round with the design committee over just their entrance.

I suspect these hotels are going to want something other than red brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The bar and nightlife scene isn't going anywhere; in fact I suspect it is soon to be much stronger. I think the elimination of drink-til-you-puke assault/murder/rape factories will prove to be an incentive for higher-quality operators to get involved in a district that they had previously written off. The emergence of live music as a major attraction will strengthen the mix, and with quality residential, hotel and retail taking shape the district will be bustling around the clock, seven days a week (we've already been seeing this trend).

Again, nightlife, restaurants, bars, and even a few WELL-RUN, UPSCALE clubs are and will remain a significant part of the mix. The overreaction here to moves that should instead be universally celebrated is unwarranted.

I think the district is finally moving in a direction that many on this board and elsewhere have wanted all along; a place that is appealing to locals and visitors alike, one of the most large, vibrant entertainment districts in this part of the country, and yet also place that has a well-rounded, vibrant feel during the day.
    I don't think the people upset about some of the night clubs closing in Bricktown have ever been to those night clubs. I can't think of one that's closed that will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Let me just advise a word of caution from an outsiders perspective.
    Don't let BT lose it's entertainment appeal. People who visit the city or come in from out of town on business, family visits, etc. or people such as myself who drive down just for a weekend love the nightlife down there. This is also vitally important in keeping younger crowds in the city. It seems this has become priority for some cities such as Austin, and realize that younger generations who stay and don't migrate, help grow the city quicker.
    Completely agree. I read an article recently that stated that is becoming a problem for Austin and Portland. Lots and lots of young people are moving there yet not putting down roots.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    I can understand not wanting some of the night clubs, but you definitely need to keep the bar and restaurant scenes healthy. People remember things when they had fun.

Completely agree with this. I think Urbanized gets it right. A couple of well-run, upscale nightclubs are an essential part of the mix but the trashy, quarter beer clubs that do little more than attract violence no longer have a place in Bricktown. Thankfully the worst offenders on that front have already closed. Bringing live music into the mix will be a game changer. The Mideke shakeup and the Steelyard should go a long way towards making the district more active during the day which is when it really needs help.

If there is one thing I think Bricktown should also really focus on going forward is infill. There is still way too much surface parking and it works against the urban feel of the district. After the new Boulevard opens up, I would like to see at least Sheridan and possibly Reno narrowed to two lanes with extra emphasis being placed on pedestrian activity. They should take some cues from Campus Corner in Norman, which is arguably the most well-done urban district in the state, better than anything in OKC or Tulsa.

I'll be interested to see who they land for the 10,000 sqft restaurant space. I like the idea of a Wolfgang Puck being as it would be new to the city and add some more life on that side of bricktown. Lots a great things happening in east Bricktown!

Quote Originally Posted by tpg4635 View Post
    I'll be interested to see who they land for the 10,000 sqft restaurant space. I like the idea of a Wolfgang Puck being as it would be new to the city and add some more life on that side of bricktown. Lots a great things happening in east Bricktown!
    Is Wolfgang Puck Bistro even a possibility? I thought they recently closed their Tulsa location.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Is Wolfgang Puck Bistro even a possibility? I thought they recently closed their Tulsa location.
    Bistros are only one of many Wolfgang Puck restaurant concepts.

16. Default Re: Bricktown

Will be very interesting to see how Canopy, AC and Hyatt Place -- all modern motifs -- design within the Bricktown constraints.

Remember, the Holiday Inn Express had to go round and round with the design committee over just their entrance.

I suspect these hotels are going to want something other than red brick.
    Here is the AC by Marriott going in at Westport (KC), which has some similarities to Bricktown: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0519...Rw1odFTUEQ!2e0

Edit: Actually, that is the 'before' look. Apparently they took over the Q Hotel and are modernizing (and re-facing) it.
    http://youtu.be/aaDtTuN4WU8?t=46s

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It's actually been closed for the better part of a year or two, actually. It didn't last long at all. I never heard why, in fact, I never heard a thing about it.
    They may be a little shy about the Oklahoma market now.

Given how many times Bricktown has been declared dead, I drove through on Saturday night while in town and was impressed how busy it still is. Granted its my complete ancedotal observation but still I was expecting to see a much smaller crowd based on what I've read here. I still stand by that BT should still have a handful of clubs (the line out of Candy was ridiculous, so there is still some demand for these things) but I'm glad to hear you feel it's headed in a good direction given your position.

It depends on your crowd.

I have heard West End in Dallas was a ghost town but was down there a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed. The trendy/hipster crowd had moved on from Bricktown, but it's still very popular with visitors and people who like going to clubs. The restaurants also are a huge draw. As infill continues I can only imagine it further strengthening the district.

I really wish Randy Hogan would sell the lower canal to somebody who will develop it however. It's pretty depressing down there.

I remember when the West End was packed all the time, when I lived in Dallas it was starting to taper and Deep Ellum was just starting up. They are go through the "what's hip" cycles.

A cigar bar where you can only smoke outside? Weird...

The patio space is huge and will be heated.

Tons of nice outdoor furniture as well.

Will we just rename that portion of the canal the Dueling Piano District?

Thread Information