Widgets Magazine
Page 89 of 96 FirstFirst ... 398485868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2386

Thread: Bricktown

Default Re: Bricktown

this will be a great project for bricktown in general and for the canal

They have yet to install the artwork in the plaza overlooking the canal, but the crossing is complete:

What happened to the canal placemaking stuff from post #2101?

Staircase and bridge look good. Hopefully, it won't be too many years before tunnel project is completed. Right now the everything just looks silly. Canopy structure serves no purpose right now. I think the main idea was to hang Amtrak signs on this structure. I guess they can have arrows pointing to the left or right.

Probably being greedy since we can't even afford one tunnel right now, but after Cox center is redeveloped 10 years down the road, I think there needs to be another tunnel or have planned tunnel branch off to lead outside to the north of Santa Fe station.

This will be the south part of the plaza along the railroad tracks where the playground once stood.

Blog Entries

Not entirely sure it was worth getting rid of the playground

Drove through Bricktown a few nights ago. I realize the area can fill up fast depending on what event(s) might be taking place but honestly, the overall feel of Bricktown (when few people are around) seems tired, stale and boarders on the boring side. I have no idea how you can refresh Bricktown or rebrand it but from what I felt it seems like it's dying a slow death. Hope I'm wrong. I used to tell out of town guest who were looking for something fun to do, "go into Bricktown". But it's been a very long time that I mention Bricktown as a fun destination.

That's probably just timing. I'm in Bricktown on a weekly basis and it is very commonly packed when I am there.

That plaza is the most meh thing I've ever seen.

With the WCWS and NCAA Baseball going on in OKC, Bricktown seemed packed to me when I went through the other day.

14. Default Re: Bricktown

yet ANOTHER plaza. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Drove through Bricktown a few nights ago. I realize the area can fill up fast depending on what event(s) might be taking place but honestly, the overall feel of Bricktown (when few people are around) seems tired, stale and boarders on the boring side. I have no idea how you can refresh Bricktown or rebrand it but from what I felt it seems like it's dying a slow death. Hope I'm wrong. I used to tell out of town guest who were looking for something fun to do, "go into Bricktown". But it's been a very long time that I mention Bricktown as a fun destination.
    this is a really funny and ill timed post ..

bricktown was packed all weekend long .

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Not entirely sure it was worth getting rid of the playground
    Same here.

No playgroud downtown anymore.
    Some easier access to to the canal on this side was needed but a playground would be nice.

In regard to the other post, BT has been very busy the last couple of weeks. Even before the WCWS and the BIg 12 baseball.

Press Release:

The Bricktown Canal Celebrates 20th Anniversary

(OKLAHOMA CITY) – Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership and the Bricktown Association are celebrating 20 years of the Bricktown Canal on Saturday, June 29 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Numerous family-friendly activities and programs along with Bricktown business promotions will encourage all to explore and commemorate the canal, and “party like it’s 1999”.

The all-day celebration will feature live music, an artist market, pop-up bars, snow cones, Curbside Chronicle flower and magazine sales, photo ops, and other free entertainment. Students from ACM@UCO will provide live music at various locations along the canal, while face painting, balloon animals, and live art demonstrations will be among the entertainment options available for attendees.

The all-day celebration will feature the following programming:
    Complimentary Ride OKC bike tours| 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
    Complimentary Trailhead OKC urban hikes
    Two-Mile Hike | 10 a.m.
    Four-Mile Hike | 6 p.m.
    Artist market featuring artists with work in Bricktown
    Rhiana Deck, Nicole Hatfield, Amanda Weathers | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
    Chad Earles, Steven Grounds, Kris Kanaly | 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
    Live art demonstrations | 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
    Jake Vega, Verdean Thompson, Steven Grounds
    $5 Water Taxi Rides | 10 a.m. – midnight
    Pop-up bars by Bricktown businesses on the canal | 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
    Live music by ACM@UCO students | 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    Free face painting | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    Chalk art demonstration | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
    Free balloon animals | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    Curbside Chronicle flower and magazine sales | 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
    Snow cone sales by Sasquatch Shaved Ice | 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
    Hear your favorite 90s-00s music at the Sonic Stage | 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
    Promotions and patio activities by Bricktown businesses | 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Attendees can bike through the city’s premier entertainment district with Ride OKC to see and learn about its stunning, often overlooked public art and architecture, and experience Bricktown’s rich culture. This immersive bike tour will stop at several locally owned establishments where you’ll taste their unique fare and discover what makes each place special from the creators themselves. ​Tours are free, but space is limited, pre-registration is required. See times and registration details by visiting Rideokc.com/special-edition-tours.

Guests can also lace up their boots and explore Bricktown as Trailhead OKC embarks on yet another grizzled trek through Oklahoma City’s core. On this urban hike participants will take trails district streets and the canal, see inspiring public art, and experience Bricktown through the eyes of an explorer. Join us for either a two- or four-mile hike, or both. Learn more and see event details at facebook.com/TrailheadOKC.

The Bricktown Canal was part of the original MAPS program, funded by a temporary 1-cent sales tax. Citizens of Oklahoma City chose to invest in their city, and those funds were used to construct debt-free public facilities such as the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, Cox Convention Center, Chesapeake Arena, and the Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library.

The program’s success led voters to renew MAPS twice: with MAPS for Kids in 2001 and MAPS3 in 2009. MAPS and the Bricktown Canal also spurred a large amount of private development in Bricktown along the canal. After 20 years, these investments are still a catalyst for continued development.

The mile-long Bricktown Canal is a popular downtown destination for tourists and locals alike. The water, landscaping, fountains, trails, and green spaces surrounding the canal are maintained through several downtown partnerships including Oklahoma City Parks and Recreation Department, Bricktown Association, the downtown Business Improvement District, and Stonegate-Hogan. The canal is drained and cleaned every four years and is home to the Bricktown Water Taxi and several annual special events. For more information about the canal or its 20th Anniversary Celebration, contact Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership at (405) 235-3500 or visit DowntownOKC.com/bricktown-canal-anniversary/.

###

Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership (DOKC) is a non-profit organization that cleans, protects, promotes and markets downtown Oklahoma City locally and regionally in conjunction with numerous downtown stakeholders. DOKC also manages the Downtown Business Improvement District, funds and creates public art projects, and holds annual events. For more information, visit www.DowntownOKC.com.

The Bricktown Association is a 501(c)(6) organization that provides marketing and promotion to Bricktown businesses and for the district itself. Bricktown is part of the downtown Business Improvement District (BID), which is managed by Downtown Oklahoma City Partnership. The BID delivers street-level amenities, such as street cleaning and trash pickup, produces events, and provides additional services such as security, lighting, landscaping, and cleaning of the Bricktown canal. For more information, visit www.WelcomeToBricktown.com.

"And she's buying a stairway to...a blank wall."

I like the new bridge on the south side of the canal.

Now we just need the tunnel so the bridge and stairs actually go somewhere.

Blog Entries

Do we know if the newly repaired ackerman fountains got re-repaired after being damaged by the crews working on these stairs? (heavy equipment collapsed the water lines)

I have tried and failed to post tweets here so if anyone can figure it out this is a great “way back” tweet thread of what Bricktown canal area looked like 20 years ago. Several pictures. Amazing the transformation!

——

Johnson & Associates
    @JA_OKC
    In celebration of
    @_Bricktown
    and the Canal's 20th anniversary, here is a thread with a bunch of throwback construction photos. Enjoy!
    @steve

https://mobile.twitter.com/JA_OKC/st...13944793321473

Quote Originally Posted by LordGerald View Post
    "And she's buying a stairway to...a blank wall."
    Definitely feels like that wall could use some dressing up.

24. Default Re: Bricktown

Big night for the canal, lots of activities for the 20th anniversary and now a shooting last night. Hopefully these type of events won't go the way of Thunder Alley.

I was downtown and walked through Bricktown last night. It was absolutely heaving with people.

I think every single Lime scooter in town was being used.

Thread Information