Widgets Magazine
Page 95 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4590919293949596 LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2386

Thread: Bricktown

Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Been hearing more and more of families doing stay-cations. We did one at the Omni last year and it was awesome. Went to night market, dinner, then pool and spa the next morning. The Ellison is another one that families are doing as well.
    How was the night market? I can’t wait for the next one!

I'm going to piggy back this feed with the Ch 5 news this morning saying OKC city council considering downtown grocery store. Sorry I could find any links on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    I'm going to piggy back this feed with the Ch 5 news this morning saying OKC city council considering downtown grocery store. Sorry I could find any links on their website.
    I believe they were talking about the final approval of TIF funds for the Nova project in Automobile Alley.

It's on today's city council agenda.

Thank Pete! They just said grocery store so that threw me off.

New signage at street level directing people to the canal:

6. Default Re: Bricktown

only complaint about the signage is me and my buddies walked past it last night on the way out from Pretty Please and I can 100% confirm drunk people will and can climb them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bored UCO Student View Post
    only complaint about the signage is me and my buddies walked past it last night on the way out from Pretty Please and I can 100% confirm drunk people will and can climb them
    Understand your concern about drunk people or sober; however look around and tell me what can they not climb . . .

8. Default Re: Bricktown

There's something about those signs that's really odd. If they're meant to direct pedestrians to the stairs down to canal level, they're far too big and placed too close to the street. If they're meant to identify the canal to vehicle traffic, they're placed so that you only see them after you already crossed the canal, which is odd because in the United States (and most places) the standard is to identify a stream or other feature you are crossing at the beginning of the crossing, not the end.

The signs also large enough that I feel like they sort of detract from the aesthetics of the bridge (the pony truss structure now feels a lot more decorative and tacked-on than it did before).

The graphical design of the signs are nice, though.

Signage could be better, I wonder how it holds up at night.

In the meantime, the Renaissance actually adds some much-needed verticality to Bricktown. Not too tall to dwarf everything, but also not too small to deny itself any attention. If they can move those power poles underground, that would be a huge plus as well.

10. Default Re: Bricktown

I cannot help but think that the bridge itself adequately denoted a crossing from which we could infer the location of the canal without the need of a sign.

These signs are indicators for canal level entrances. There is one outside of Mickey Mantles as well.

Several times when I've been in Bricktown, I've noticed people wandering around a bit confused and then asked if I could help them find something.

Most people are looking for a place to eat or have a drink and unless they are right by the canal it's hard for them to know it's there.

This will make it much easier. Now, if I recommend going down to the canal level I can say, "walk this direction until you see the canal sign and then go down the steps."

If you spend much time in Bricktown you will see for yourself the huge number of visitors from both out of town and the surrounding area. I'm for any effort to help guide people to the canal, which we all know is under utilized and under appreciated.

13. Default Re: Bricktown

Fair point. I've officed out of Bricktown for several years and I leave those confused-looking people to their own semiotic musings. I will follow your example and be a better ambassador for the City.

14. Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Understand your concern about drunk people or sober; however look around and tell me what can they not climb . . .
    considering it was a joke about me and my drunk friends leaving a bar and proceeding to climb the signage, I really can't

but since you so politely asked, I personally think drunk me would have trouble climbing the Renaissance there in the back ground. I'd say I'd make it to about the 8th floor, possibly get into a fist fight or two with a pigeon, lose, then fall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bored UCO Student View Post
    considering it was a joke about me and my drunk friends leaving a bar and proceeding to climb the signage, I really can't

but since you so politely asked, I personally think drunk me would have trouble climbing the Renaissance there in the back ground. I'd say I'd make it to about the 8th floor, possibly get into a fist fight or two with a pigeon, lose, then fall.
    First of all I admire you as a UCO student--IMO one of the best universities financially & intellectually in our state--underrated.

As for the alcohol, be careful my friend and get control of how you consume it--especially mingling around (even among friends) in public areas climbing or playing.

Whatever your major, stay focused; you have a life ahead of you--one misstep with alcohol can lead to a deep dive off a cliff.

Best of Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

So I was curious and started looking up historical pictures of what Bricktown used to be before it became the Bricktown we know of today. I came across this one photo and had a thought to myself. It's amazing how much progress has really come along in the grand scheme of things. Because lets be real, this area wasn't exactly screaming tourism back in the day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghnewsok-OK-5635224-71afe580.jpeg 
Views:	368 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	17701

I just thought to revive the topic with a little walk back in time, all while showing gratitude to the planners and visionaries who have helped make this possible.

^

Nothing was over there except for the Spaghetti Warehouse (opened in 1989) for a long time.

Ironically, the old SW building is one of the very few anywhere near downtown that sits completely empty at the current time.

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    So I was curious and started looking up historical pictures of what Bricktown used to be before it became the Bricktown we know of today. I came across this one photo and had a thought to myself. It's amazing how much progress has really come along in the grand scheme of things. Because lets be real, this area wasn't exactly screaming tourism back in the day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghnewsok-OK-5635224-71afe580.jpeg 
Views:	368 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	17701

I just thought to revive the topic with a little walk back in time, all while showing gratitude to the planners and visionaries who have helped make this possible.
    A few years back I started a thread that shows the changes around the downtown area. Bricktown, Midtown etc.

Here's the link: https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...877&highlight=

It'd be cool if you could find and post some more historical pics so we can compare and contrast the changes. This kind of thing always interests me.

Went to Bricktown last night with the family. Crazy how packed it was, people everywhere. Maybe because it was a Saturday night, Valentine's weekend, and Super Bowl weekend. Nonetheless, good to see Bricktown thriving.

^

Unless the weather is bad, that's how it is every weekend.

And that's independent of Thunder or Redhawk games or any other special events.

You'll see the same at Scissortail Park and the Myriad Gardens.

Earlier curfew proposed for Bricktown

https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/4357/18

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Earlier curfew proposed for Bricktown

https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/4357/18
    Interesting, had no idea that there was a city-wide curfew for people under 18! When did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Unless the weather is bad, that's how it is every weekend.

And that's independent of Thunder or Redhawk games or any other special events.

You'll see the same at Scissortail Park and the Myriad Gardens.
    Are you not a Dodgers fan? Haha

9:00 seems a bit early considering the movie theater and number of all ages shows at Criterion (and I'm assuming others).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    9:00 seems a bit early considering the movie theater and number of all ages shows at Criterion (and I'm assuming others).
    Those would fall under the exception of going to/from an "official event", I'm guessing.

Thread Information