Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bricktown

I know everybody hates the underground, but what a marvelous opportunity to extend it even further, into Deep Duece, by having a skybridge from this garage over the railroad tracks... seems like it would solve some problems...

Of course, without seeing a better view of the site plan maybe that idea is completely unfeasible...

Extremely disappointing that they are considering this option. It was public investment that made Bricktown what it is today. If they allow a private developer to build a garage instead of building it themselves, the public's access to the district will be held hostage. Private investment should be focused on satisfying customer demand, not public needs. This garage is too important to the future development of Bricktown to throw caution to the wind just hope it turns out ok. Public access needs to be maintained through a public garage. Clearly they are going against the advice of their own walkability consultant Jeff Speck.

Quote Originally Posted by LandRunOkie View Post
    Extremely disappointing that they are considering this option. It was public investment that made Bricktown what it is today. If they allow a private developer to build a garage instead of building it themselves, the public's access to the district will be held hostage. Private investment should be focused on satisfying customer demand, not public needs. This garage is too important to the future development of Bricktown to throw caution to the wind just hope it turns out ok. Public access needs to be maintained through a public garage. Clearly they are going against the advice of their own walkability consultant Jeff Speck.
    The garage next to the Hampton is private.

Blog Entries

Jeff Speck says parking has to be publicly financed to work? I doubt it.

He makes his thoughts clear in his new book. He runs a private enterprise himself and would prefer not to burn bridges when city governments abandon his principles.

6. Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by LandRunOkie View Post
    Please. First Bricktown hasn't delivered enough private sector investment to go along with the public investment in the neighborhood, and now you think it is a terrible idea to allow private investors to build an innovative parking-residential project, which would free up public funds to build even more parking elsewhere? Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

This idea would be a fantastic addition to downtown. I'd like to see more of the site plan, but my only criticism at first blush would be that I'd like to see the parking entrance moved off of Main onto the former railroad easement which now serves as the driveway approach. I understand that they probably want the entrance to be highly-visible to encourage use, but they could accomplish the same by flying a sign over the driveway, similar to the entrance they put up east of the Walnut bridge. It would also keep a line of people entering the garage from backing up onto Main and impeding vehicular traffic.

I'd rather see the main frontage devoted fully to retail (great location!), and suspect they won't have a hard time filling the garage anyway. Two types of vehicle access side-by-side interrupts the flow of the sidewalk more than necessary, I think. But upon cursory inspection, I think the building looks pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ...I'd like to see the parking entrance moved off of Main onto the former railroad easement which now serves as the driveway approach...
    And you don't think that railroad easement should be used for future passenger rail?

8. Default Re: Bricktown

Tried to find this thread this morning but couldn't. I was in Wichita for three days this past Sunday through Tuesday. The weather was overcast and ugly and I only had two hours on Monday afternoon to walk all over downtown before I had dinner with someone. I'll tell you, Bricktown has nothing on Old Town. Imagine if you could take Guthrie and stick it on Bricktown, that would give you an idea what it's like.

Downtown Wichita (May 6 2013) - a set on Flickr

I'll create a new thread on this parking garage project but for now here is a rendering and an aerial:

this new garage is a fail ... and hopefully the city will see it that way

if built it would kill the HUB master plan and it would kill commuter rail to Midwest City and the NE line OKC owns the parking lots .. and ODOT has half the Buffalo property ...

read the article ... they are proposing a 2,300 space garage .. they are going to use the space fronting main and the City owned (which they have a lease on) parking behind ..

sante fe is only 1500 as a comparison

but either way the main frontage property is needed for the stub to MWC and the NE line

Blog Entries

A "fail". Seriously? Is ANY project passable to critics on this board?

First off, not that this in any way kills commuter rail, but do you all really want commuter rail to the suburbs? That is part of the reason suburbs flourished...cheap commuting transportation to and from distant suburbs. Electric commuter trains played a big role.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Please. First Bricktown hasn't delivered enough private sector investment to go along with the public investment in the neighborhood, and now you think it is a terrible idea to allow private investors to build an innovative parking-residential project, which would free up public funds to build even more parking elsewhere? Which is it?
    I never said there wasn't enough private investment. I said the crowd leaves something to be desired and there are too many surface lots. Well thought out public garages would solve both of these problems.

Maybe you're referring to the one time I said more residential in Bricktown would create a better balance between locals and visitors. A public garage would leave the option open for different pricing for different vehicles. Free parking for residents would surely create more residents. A private garage would be unlikely to honor such commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    First off, not that this in any way kills commuter rail, but do you all really want commuter rail to the suburbs? That is part of the reason suburbs flourished...cheap commuting transportation to and from distant suburbs. Electric commuter trains played a big role.
    The problem with the suburbs isn't the suburbs, its the government's automotive subsidies that allowed them to flourish, including artificially low gas taxes. Transit to the suburbs will become more important in the future but it doesn't really relate to this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    A "fail". Seriously? Is ANY project passable to critics on this board?

tinker AFB is not the burbs ... it is the largest employer in OKC ..

look at page 28, 29, and 58 from this pdf http://www.acogok.org/Newsroom/Downl...eting61611.pdf

and these pages from the HUB master plan (approved by the OKC city council fyi) page 58 http://www.acogok.org/Newsroom/Downl.../hubreport.pdf

Most garages in districts like Bricktown are privately developed/owned. I can't think of a single publicly owned/developed garage in the LoDo area of Downtown Denver, the one at Coors Field may have been developed at the same time as the ballpark in a public/private manner but is operated by the Rockies. The only public garages are adjacent to the Performing Arts Center, Convention Center and other public buildings. City owned garages for general parking is pretty rare for most cities.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Can you be more specific? I'm not seeing how it would kill MidWest City access. There's lot of space to the north of this building. I've been on trains the cut a pretty sharp corner and it doesn't even look like it would have to be cut hard anyway. That parking lot on the north side is huge.

I hope the rail community really knows their stuff before they lobby against this project.
    Your image is of a tram, aka streetcar which is inherently designed to work in city streets with turning radii as small as 75 feet. The Intermodal Hub Masterplan (http://acogok.org/Newsroom/Downloads11/hubreport.pdf) states a turning radii of 750' will be needed for commuter rail and other heavy rail for this curve. Check out Figure 7.3 on page 41 and Figure 9.27 on page 58 of the Masterplan.

Studies and plans are destined to be modified by realities not known at the time of the study. An adjustment to the type of unit used for a MWC commuter line may occur if other issues presents itself.

If they want that piece of property for rail use then they need to acquire it. This proposal might also be a way to get the city to make a decision on acquiring the property or not.

Exactly. It's either the stupidest idea ever or its brilliant. Kind of like Box threatening to tear down the Gold Dome. I have been on conference call all morning about it.

It doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting approved.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Studies and plans are destined to be modified by realities not known at the time of the study. An adjustment to the type of unit used for a MWC commuter line may occur if other issues presents itself.

If they want that piece of property for rail use then they need to acquire it. This proposal might also be a way to get the city to make a decision on acquiring the property or not.
    the city already owns almost all of the property

and the tiny part they don't own (copta owns a lot) and is private is not big enough for a garage

The only way this has any political traction, is if major players were already involved and wholly committed to partnering with Karch to put up the money.

Even then, I can assure you that approval moving forward would be held up every step of the way.

If it came down to a City Council vote, it would not pass.

21. Default Re: Bricktown

Privately-funded garages don't preclude the building of public ones. Public money would just be freed up to build another needed garage. Win-win. I would also agree that modifications could surely be made to this plan or to the rail plan to accommodate one another. That's what engineers are for.

That is very wishful thinking. Basically, to serve rail with the proper radius and make the necessary grade changes, you need a broad sweeping declining curve.

So basically you would be building a building with a giant curving arch through it. It's not that it "can't" be done, its at what cost?

Plus... there the exhaust of a commuter train to deal with. And this is talked about potentially being a double track if High Speed Rail ever was remotely a reality.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    with all due respect, high-speed rail to midwest city is much more wishful in my mind. I think if we are taking this development off the table, it better be because we've got a project in the next decade or so, with at least theoretical funding. Even in places where serious funding possibilities, we are talking projects decades out.

Right now, i'd take this project over any conceptual commuter connection to midwest city. Especially if retail were added at the ground floor on main.
    exactly this!

Oh come on Sid. We're buying a Santa Fe Station with MAPS 3 funds that directly requires that the viability of that facility to have those connections.

It's not high speed rail that is the issue. It is commuter rail. A very viable thing as early as 2017

Thread Information