Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst 1234567891055 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown

Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Ummmmm.... that would not be streetcar territory. That would be commuter rail territory.
    The Streetcar Subcommittee / Jacobs Engineering was tasked with studying the viability of that line by members of the city council. It has been discussed at every meeting I have attended. There was a presentation about that line at the last meeting that covered options for various levels of service and types of vehicles. It could be streetcar or heavy rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Hopefully that means they will actually have some damn events at the events center
    why would you want events that prevent water from flowing???

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    The Streetcar Subcommittee / Jacobs Engineering was tasked with studying the viability of that line by members of the city council. It has been discussed at every meeting I have attended. There was a presentation about that line at the last meeting that covered options for various levels of service and types of vehicles. It could be streetcar or heavy rail.
    First off, for both you and BoulderSooner, if this is being reviewed by the Streetcar Subcommittee, then it is beyond awesome that the Streetcar is planned to be run through the Union Pacific yard on the east side of town. Otherwise, yes, this is not streetcar territory. This is commuter rail territory. Please show me a map of how the old CRIP rail line that runs under the Walnut Street bridge is a streetcar line when it connects to the BNSF main and is a Class I railroad. Thanks ;-)

First off, for both you and BoulderSooner, if this is being reviewed by the Streetcar Subcommittee, then it is beyond awesome that the Streetcar is planned to be run through the Union Pacific yard on the east side of town. Otherwise, yes, this is not streetcar territory. This is commuter rail territory. Please show me a map of how the old CRIP rail line that runs under the Walnut Street bridge is a streetcar line when it connects to the BNSF main and is a Class I railroad. Thanks ;-)
    It is my understanding that a streetcar is compatible with the existing rail line. So you could in theory run the streetcar down that line with no significant modifications. Would be light rail.

It is being studied - I don't know what the final outcome will be. Commuter rail has challenges because if you go with heavy rail, crossing the zoo lake dam becomes very expensive or problematic. The streetcar could run on the same gauge rail - standard gauge - that is there today. The streetcaar is light enough it could transition from the ORMright of way to running in 50th street. Otherwise you will have to ask Remington Park or someone to run a bus shuttle to the north station near the Fireman Museum. I think it needs to get to the Zoo, Science Museum, and Remington Park front door to make it viable. But that is only my opinion.

It was mentioned that Union Pacific has been open to the idea and rather helpful as the study has proceeded. Running whatever type vehicle is selected will need to get through the rail served business in Ekroat somehow. There will probably be some sort of newconstruction needed for that and separation from UP's operations.

Then you have to decide how to connect the Adventure Line to the transit hub / SFStation. It would be much less expensive to use streetcar running through Bricktown rather than rebuilding the southern bridge of the wye to transtion from street level to the top of the BNSF viaduct.

Just a few things I have heard discussed at the meetings....

it would not be street car ... but you could use a street car type vechicle .. (what is now used for light rail) UP would likely require a total separation of service and fortunately the OCURA owns all the land just north of the UP yard and it would not be hard to build a little new track to go from the bricktown spur to the NE line and bypass the UP yard all together ..

the NE line study was added to Jacobs maps 3 street car contract with the vote of the subcommittee/maps 3 board and then the city council ..

it should tell the city what it would cost to activate that line and what vehicle options there would be

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    With all due respect, the only place I've heard where Bricktown was struggling or "dead" was on this board.
    Please find a quote where someone called Bricktown dead. My issue with Bricktown is that it doesn't feel safe for a lot of reasons. A couple days after I made that point someone got stabbed down there.

Maybe what you are referring to is the actual video during Thunder broadcasts of the canal after dark, which do show it to be dead. In that case you are arguing with actual video, not anyone on this board. I will attempt to speak for all Bricktown critics by saying I genuinely want it to be successful, but until it has robust street life 12 months of the year and into the evening hours, it cannot be considered successful. Making it feel safer, by more regular police patrols and better pedestrian accommodations, is the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LandRunOkie View Post
    Please find a quote where someone called Bricktown dead. My issue with Bricktown is that it doesn't feel safe for a lot of reasons. A couple days after I made that point someone got stabbed down there.

Maybe what you are referring to is the actual video during Thunder broadcasts of the canal after dark, which do show it to be dead. In that case you are arguing with actual video, not anyone on this board. I will attempt to speak for all Bricktown critics by saying I genuinely want it to be successful, but until it has robust street life 12 months of the year and into the evening hours, it cannot be considered successful. Making it feel safer, by more regular police patrols and better pedestrian accommodations, is the way to do it.
    Safety has nothing to do with the lack of robust street life along the canal. I doubt most people in their 20s or early 30s would really consider bricktown an unsafe area, I know I don't. The lack of street life has everything to do with the lack of the restaurants' and bars' interaction at the street level which is especially evident along the canal. The portion of the canal seen in that video clip is devoid of activity because there is only one restaurant with a patio (that is actually in use often) on the canal level. Also, with an exception of that blues bar, which isn't actually on the canal, Nothing down there is open later than 10 pm. There really isn't much on the canal level at all other than norm's dockside bar and grill and Burbon Street. All the surface lots along Sheridan don't help either.

9. Default Re: Bricktown

CANNOT. TAKE. SERIOUSLY. Bricktown, unsafe? I've been visiting B-town since I was 15 [alone with underage friends until I was 18] and have never once encountered violence or crime. So some physco decided it was okay to stab another human being, it happens all the time unfortunately, but I don't see how Bricktown is especially prone to such crime in any way. I also find it strange that you determine Bricktown's success, or lack thereof according to you, by it having pedestrian presence 365 days a year. However, Bricktown has already proven to be undeniably successful for our city and downtown. Of course the district can be much improved upon in so many ways, but for you to say, "it cannot be considered successful" is totally bogus. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    it would not be street car ... but you could use a street car type vechicle .. (what is now used for light rail) UP would likely require a total separation of service and fortunately the OCURA owns all the land just north of the UP yard and it would not be hard to build a little new track to go from the bricktown spur to the NE line and bypass the UP yard all together ..

the NE line study was added to Jacobs maps 3 street car contract with the vote of the subcommittee/maps 3 board and then the city council ..

it should tell the city what it would cost to activate that line and what vehicle options there would be
    Correct that it would not be streetcar. Mostly every indication of streetcar I've seen shows overhead wiring for powering the cars. Doubt UP is going to allow that over their rails AND yes, streetcar and freight lines use the same gauge, so technically it is interchangeable, though I don't think UP is planning on running freights through downtown streets haha!

Correct that it would not be streetcar. Mostly every indication of streetcar I've seen shows overhead wiring for powering the cars. Doubt UP is going to allow that over their rails AND yes, streetcar and freight lines use the same gauge, so technically it is interchangeable, though I don't think UP is planning on running freights through downtown streets haha!
    that line would not use any UP rail ..... if the city buys the bricktown spur that line would most likely use overhead power ...

I would love to see something like this in Bricktown:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4719.1356213947.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	436.0 KB 
ID:	3628

I was walking along the canal tonight, and I noticed that there were only two restaurants with tables actually ON the canal. The atmosphere looked fantastic and wonder why nobody else (Zio's, Chelino's, etc) is using the lower level of the space on the canal. Having some lights and tables down there would really fill it up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Romulack View Post
    I would love to see something like this in Bricktown:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4719.1356213947.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	436.0 KB 
ID:	3628
    Ha ha - remember when they floated the idea the Colcord would crumble if the streetcar ran by it.

not sure a goth version of thomas the train provides any real value to BT.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    not sure a goth version of thomas the train provides any real value to BT.
    I think that is the Hogwarts Express.

nah, the design is all wrong

I should not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    CANNOT. TAKE. SERIOUSLY. Bricktown, unsafe?
    I also find it strange that you determine Bricktown's success, or lack thereof according to you, by it having pedestrian presence 365 days a year.
    I said it feels unsafe. That, according to Jeff Speck, is more important than actual safety. Also I said there should be strong street life 12 months of the year, not 365 days, because we have to be realistic about Oklahoma weather and the fair weather pedestrians we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew3077 View Post
    I was walking along the canal tonight, and I noticed that there were only two restaurants with tables actually ON the canal. The atmosphere looked fantastic and wonder why nobody else (Zio's, Chelino's, etc) is using the lower level of the space on the canal. Having some lights and tables down there would really fill it up nicely.
    +1 The city should be recruiting lower level canal-front businesses.

I said it feels unsafe. That, according to Jeff Speck, is more important than actual safety. Also I said there should be strong street life 12 months of the year, not 365 days, because we have to be realistic about Oklahoma weather and the fair weather pedestrians we have.
    Given the fact that this area has, by far, the largest amount of street traffic in the state, a lot of people would disagree with you.

And with the Thunder, I would argue that there is street life 12 months out of the year, something that has been confirmed by me and several other posters, including one that lives a few blocks away.

You personally don't have to like Bricktown, and yes there can be some things improved, but to not acknowledge some basic facts undercuts your argument.

+1 The city should be recruiting lower level canal-front businesses.
    Completely agree. Having more businesses actually on the canal level would help out tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Completely agree. Having more businesses actually on the canal level would help out tremendously.
    It looks like some ownership changes may be coming soon to the upper part of the canal. Fortunately the new potential owners are much more in tune with what is needed on the canal level and warehouse upper floors than the current ownership. Still very much in the preliminary stages, so hopefully it works out.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    It looks like some ownership changes may be coming soon to the upper part of the canal. Fortunately the new potential owners are much more in tune with what is needed on the canal level and warehouse upper floors than the current ownership. Still very much in the preliminary stages, so hopefully it works out.
    Can you tell us a little more?

Not right now, it's too early and a lot of the details aren't clear yet.

Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that line would not use any UP rail ..... if the city buys the bricktown spur that line would most likely use overhead power ...
    and I really still don't see that line using overhead power... It will most likely be like the line used from Oleander to downtown Austin with some kind of diesel powered fuel source.

Pinot's Palette grand opening tomorrow, April 12th:

Pinot's Palette Franchise in Bricktown | Wine and Painting Franchises

Well, they've already had a soft opening... but this is the official one.

Always good to see another business start in Bricktown. Even better when it's not a bar or restaurant (variety being a good thing).

Thread Information