Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 96 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown

1. Default Re: Bricktown

I wish OKC would build locks that would connect the canal and the OK River. This would negate the need to empty and clean the canal so often and would provide a seamless connection for the water taxi and other business/transit options. The locks itself could be a tourist attraction with water themed restaurant and businesses connected and operations viewing available.

Could this be a Maps 4 idea?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I wish OKC would build locks that would connect the canal and the OK River. This would negate the need to empty and clean the canal so often and would provide a seamless connection for the water taxi and other business/transit options. The locks itself could be a tourist attraction with water themed restaurant and businesses connected and operations viewing available.

Could this be a Maps 4 idea?
    I am guessing you do not make it to the river much, it would require it be cleaned more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I am guessing you do not make it to the river much, it would require it be cleaned more often.
    It also would require a source of water to continually refill the canal.

4. Default Re: Bricktown

you guys likely may not understand how locks work. Rest assured that water would not continuously flow from the canal into the river so 1) you do not need a refill source and 2) the river would not require the canal to be cleaned more often (or vice versa).

Locks are an elevation pool system where boats move through from one pool to another where water is added (to raise) or removed (to lower) to allow passage through the system. Water for the Locks could be recycled from the river and would not create a drop in the canal level. Here is the idea:

1) boat moves into canal loading zone, a door closes shutting off the canal 2) a door on the other side opens, allowing the boat to move forward 3) here, the water is removed some to lower the boat 4) next forward door opens to the next zone 5) this keeps up until the boat is at the zone at river level, that door opens and the boat moves on. Reverse happens for going upstream (river to canal).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I wish they would expand the canal rather than spending the money to build a lock system. I wonder how much constructing a lock system would cost anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I wish they would expand the canal rather than spending the money to build a lock system. I wonder how much constructing a lock system would cost anyways.
    They're not spending money to build a lock system....where are you getting this?

you guys likely may not understand how locks work. Rest assured that water would not continuously flow from the canal into the river so 1) you do not need a refill source and 2) the river would not require the canal to be cleaned more often (or vice versa).

Locks are an elevation pool system where boats move through from one pool to another where water is added (to raise) or removed (to lower) to allow passage through the system. Water for the Locks could be recycled from the river and would not create a drop in the canal level. Here is the idea:

1) boat moves into canal loading zone, a door closes shutting off the canal 2) a door on the other side opens, allowing the boat to move forward 3) here, the water is removed some to lower the boat 4) next forward door opens to the next zone 5) this keeps up until the boat is at the zone at river level, that door opens and the boat moves on. Reverse happens for going upstream (river to canal).
    Which does not change my point in the least. I totally understand how locks work. It will definitely require a source of water to replenish that which flows out, and some will flow out when boats are being lowered and it has to come from somewhere when the water level is being raised when boats would be going from the river to the canal.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    They're not spending money to build a lock system....where are you getting this?
    Never said they were. I just stated my opinion that I would rather them expand the canal rather than build a lock system. I know they're not doing or planning either at the moment(for all I know), but if I had a choice, I would choose expansion. I was also curious how much it would cost to build a lock system for the canal.

Going back and reading my post, I understand how you got that assumption. I should've worded it better.

... Rest assured that water would not continuously flow from the canal into the river so ... 2) the river would not require the canal to be cleaned more often (or vice versa). ...
    I was not implying any continuous flow, there will be some mixing of the two waters unless you have unusual locks. The river generally has at a fair amount of dirt in it and it peaks either when they are doing dredging or after heavy rain which will fall out of suspension in the canal, it also has a lot of agricultural fertilizer runoff that could encourage bacteria growth in the canal and often has at least some floating trash (especially after heavy thunderstorms)

Just build this.

11. Default Re: Bricktown

The Chevy Bricktown Event Center will be home to a benefit concert for Moore tornado relief. Find out more about it by visiting this thread or the website Music4Moore.

Recent aerial over Bricktown:

Source: PHOTOS > Downtown OKC | Deeyung Entertainment

Good shot of the HGI on the right. On the lower left, it looks like KD's restaurant is really coming along.

In the lower left of that photo you can see KD's restaurant fully-framed and how it will relate to the canal.

14. Default Re: Bricktown

Feels further than the photo would make it seem. Could be a fantastic patio though. I will be working on them to embrace the canal more if I can...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In the lower left of that photo you can see KD's restaurant fully-framed and how it will relate to the canal.
    Or won't relate....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There's plenty of room there for outdoor eating like many other places along the canal. Why don't they build that into the plan?

Didn't know that the Bricktown Fire Station had such a cool interior:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8470773&type=1

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Or won't relate....
    It seems like everything built in Bricktown along the canal has completely ignored it.

19. Default Re: Bricktown

In May 2012 we had a RetroMetroOKC meeting inside of the fire house and heard about the history of the department. I do the monthly videos for them that will one day all be online.

RetroMetroOKC Meeting - Bricktown Fire Station (May 14 2012) - a set on Flickr

Our friends Steve and Doug make cameos.. Doug also seems amazed by the interior.

Nice photo set.

Jiminy Crickets, that's one heckuva fire station!

Do they have or allow public tours?

Yea, wtf. I had no idea that firestation was so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Yea, wtf. I had no idea that firestation was so cool.
    And if I remember correctly, it was criticized here for being too suburban in design. LOL

Will (or someone) should go back and take a picture from inside the station looking back towards Devon Tower.

Since those metal fabrication buildings have been demolished, it's got to have a great unobstructed view of Bricktown now. At least until the new buildings go up.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    Great work. I weep inside when I think of what Bricktown would have become had the canal looped around through Sheridan.

Thread Information