Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

for a 15 vote difference they should recall the vote. They can after 60 days I believe.
    I think perhaps they went a bridge to far.........which did stick in peoples craw.
    I agree though we need to improve our school building stock. Just because my three went to Kerr doesnt lessen the fact it is an old school

2. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

And why not start on the level of going elementary schools first. Then work on middle schools later or something like that.

One thing that blows, is now the band room at MCHS won't get expanded either. The band doesn't even all fit in the same room anymore. And for 20 years now, they have to have half the band rehearse (in concert season) in the lobby of the fieldhouse because there isn't a second room in the current building.

if they are serious about saving money through energy efficiency, they should have the architects design some world class, green buildings. use geothermal heating and cooling, high-tech control systems, and sustainable materials... then put the building drawings on posters and in presentations. prove that what they say they are selling is worth us buying. instead they were cocky and assumed that they would get what they asked for....maybe now they will remember they have constituents who deserve to be included in the planning disucssions.

Well said. I'm sick of being expected to write a blank check because it is "for the schools."

5. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

I notice today the West Side school was nearly demolished. Did they do that ahead of time expecting this bond issue will pass?

Ever wonder why MWC has a poor reputation? You have school buildings that were built in 40's & 50's that have pretty much reach the end of their useful life, but apparently that is too much to ask for some of the community. Edmond passes a bond issue for a swimming pool and we can't pass one for new buildings.

Do you know how much the old buildings are costing the district in maintenance and heating & cooling costs? I promise they don't need to be "green" (and the extra $$ that comes associated being certified Green) to save the district a ton of money. MWC fire dept has made several runs to Soldier Creek this year because of furnace problems, and that is probably one of the better schools.

It is sad.

7. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

What year was the DCHS built and the status on the whole campus?

8. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

Thunder - to answer the previous question - West Side was vacated as part of a totally different Plan. It wasn't part of the bond issue at all. It was emptied out before the start of the school year (basically the orchestra was the only permanent group left in there and now that's at Del City High). They district was looking for an out to offload the building and it was approved by the board way earlier this school year. It will be sold off and the funds put into the district's funds.

As for DCHS - I don't know the exact dates, but I believe it follows a similar history as MCHS. Moved to the current site somewhere in the 50's, but most got torn down to the ground and rebuilt over the next decade as things like the Commons were added. And they did both get a facelift in the mid 90's when the stucco got added. Neither building has AS MANY old crappy areas as the elementary schools though. For the most part, the district has always spent more on high schools than the lower schools as far as keeping them at a certain level (which is still lacking). The roof's at both schools still stink though...they're flat roof structures and they leak all the time. MCHS was notorious for having trashcans around the building when it rained. No matter how many times they put a new roof on, it still happens.

9. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

I thought I should mention one thing that not too many poeple have paid attention to. I want to make a statement in supporting the superindenent. He is miles and miles ahead of Dr. "Screw You" Steele.

From day 1 - he started clearing house in the district of all the people that stayed on as Dr. Steele's money mooching enclave. A good number of people got the "I'm not going to stand for this crap and you can either quit/retire or get fired". I applaud him for cleaning things up.

He's not a hands-off person like she was. He gets down in the trenches and gets his hands dirty (literally) when there is a problem. Two quick examples: 1 - When that wind storm (never confirmed tornado) tore the roof off MCHS' commons a few years ago, he came in and helped clean up. He was pushing water out the door just like the janitors and staff. Dr. Steele would have just told someone to go do it. 2 - Monroney's band room had a fire at the beginning of the year from a stolen truck running into the building (it was set on fire and let run into the buildng - it wasn't intentionally aimed at the building, it just ended up in the path of the vehicle). At 2am, he's there helping move all the equipment out of the band room (music/instruments/chairs/stands/etc) so it can avoid water damage. Again, Dr. Steele would have had someone do it for her.

He's also a thurough planner. This bond issue was the result of years worth of studies he's had going on. He's had this focus on buildings since he got to the district. In fact, in his first year in the disctrict, he came to a MCHS band event and spoke to the boosters on some of his plans and did a 30 minute Q/A with them. Steele just wanted to cut band out as a drain while she got a raise (there was a protest in 96 about that...she didn't win). In the lunches he has every week with kids from each high school, one of his questions was about the buildings from day 1, and that's something the kids don't like either. The MCHS kids mentioned the ever-leaking roof for one. But what impresses me is how he does listen. He listens to what people say and includes that in his planning instead of ruling from on-high like Steele did. I've personally met both of them and it's night and day. All I can say is, I really wish this thing would have passed. Even though it kills one of the schools I went to, I know it would have been better in the long run.

And just because it means someone can't walk to school anymore, doesn't make it a bad thing. When people give reasons like that, it makes me think "so you'd rather have them walk to the paint peeling, falling apart crap building, than go to a brand new nice school". Or the tired excuse of "my dad went to this school, I went to this school, my kid goes to this school....blah blah". Except the fact your grandkid went to the school you did probably tells you that it's not a good thing....we're not talking about turn of the century historic built like a rock schools, we're talking about crap that was slapped together in the 50's folks.

10. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

I have never seen any leaking roof when I was there. And I remember they replaced new roof on top, I think I was still there or afterward, that part I don't remember, but I remember seeing guys up on top replacing the roof. The inside was leak-free and it is a good school, very spacious.

Quote Originally Posted by easternobserver View Post
    if they are serious about saving money through energy efficiency, they should have the architects design some world class, green buildings. use geothermal heating and cooling, high-tech control systems, and sustainable materials... then put the building drawings on posters and in presentations. prove that what they say they are selling is worth us buying. instead they were cocky and assumed that they would get what they asked for....maybe now they will remember they have constituents who deserve to be included in the planning disucssions.
    Really?

You think $160MM is bad, just go ahead and triple or double that if you want them to do what you're suggesting.

Bomber & Midtowner are spot on with their previous 2 posts.

13. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

Well they had replaced the one at MCHS when i was there in the 90's....that's the whole point why it's crap. The roof just doesn't last no matter what you do. When I went to East Side, I remember part of the roof being redone every year. That smell is unmistakable.

Flat roof = bad mojo and guaranteed leaks. I would like to see a conversion like Crutcho did to a metal angle roof...but that's really expensive and doesn't solve the population shift problem that consolidation fixes.

Bomber, thanks for your insight as to the new admin. It seems like folks such as Millie and easternobserver are the sorts of ignorant ne'er-do-wells who hold us back. They have obvious strong opinions based upon what they perceive is going on. Yet they have no actual knowledge as to any of the facts on the ground. Sad really. The District needs to hire a PR person and give this another shot. Recruit the parents to get out the vote where possible.

Mid and Bomber - you are both on target. The negative publicity overran the facts of this bond issue. Both my kids went through the Eastside/Jarman/MCHS route and I did my time as a PTA mom, etc. These schools are sick buildings and need to be updated, repaired or replaced. Sadly, from what I heard as I stood in line to vote - I think the older voters were completely confused and didn't understand what was being voted on. (Yeah - I'm "older", but lucky enough to have neighbors who work in the system)
    And Bomber - right on in your comments about Steele! Worst superintendent we ever had!
    I hope they can call this one again in February - but there has got to be some educaiton done first.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Bomber, thanks for your insight as to the new admin. It seems like folks such as Millie and easternobserver are the sorts of ignorant ne'er-do-wells who hold us back. They have obvious strong opinions based upon what they perceive is going on. Yet they have no actual knowledge as to any of the facts on the ground. Sad really. The District needs to hire a PR person and give this another shot. Recruit the parents to get out the vote where possible.
    I think will pass rather easily next time around. Many voting parents (and others) didn't think there was much danger of it not passing and led to a low turnout.

Mid, are you suggesting that I'm ignorant of the facts of the bond issue, or of life in general?
    I'd bet nearly anything I have that I've been to more Mid-Del school board meetings than you, and that I know more about the political issues behind the decisions that the school board made about the schools that are closing, etc. I'm all for progress, if it is truly progress and not the padding of somebody's pockets/personal interests.
    The truly ignorant, imho, are the people who vote yes in every election posed by a school district because they feel that they are truly voting in the best interest of students, education, or the area's future. If you have reviewed all the facts (and not just the schools' glossy brochure) and you genuinely believe that the proposed bond--exactly as proposed--is best for the Mid-Del area, then your opinion is different than mine but at least educated. If you want to make the blanket statement that everybody who voted against the bond is against all progress then you, my friend, are the ignorant one in this matter.

18. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

I'm going to have to defend Millie to some extent here. If you actually firmly believe that the plan was not in the best interests of the students, then that's totally your right to have that opinion....and it was expressed in the vote. However, all we had to go off of was the statement about the kid not being able to walk to school anymore. That, I feel, is an example of an uneducated voter.

I believe the district would be open to other options, and if you would like to form a plan to present to the board, I'm sure they would at least consider it. If I had a way to rebuild Jarman, I would like to do that. I don't like the fact that they are closing two middle schools and making the district have only 3 total (and those being the size of each of their corresponding high schools). HOWEVER, considering the state of the facilities, I'm ok with that happening if it means the other facilities get that work done. If you took a look at the new elementary school and compare that to what is around now....i think you will see the difference. There was a good 3D model somewhere, and now for the life of me can't remember where it was.

It also means the middle schools that will be left will get a significant improvement and facelift. They will be adding on to those locations to make room for the new students. Hopefully the staffs will merge rather than just riff them as well. For something like band, when you merge Jarman and Monroney, you need that 3rd director (monroney already also has an assistant since they have so many band students) so you don't have someone teaching all 7 hours a day. I say that because they'll have to split up the band classes even more than they are now to physically fit the kids in the room. Keep this small example in mind....

The MCHS band room was to be expanded in this bond issue because they don't fit in the current building. When you go from middle school to high school, you lose a few kids in band...it just happens. So you take the high school band and add even more kids to it...try to cram that in a middle school band room. Not gonna happen.

19. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

http://www.koco.com/education/27017209/detail.html

The fight begins! Its time to remove those schools and the yellow lights!

(But... Leave Kerr Jr High alone!)

20. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

Thunder - that's the problem, no one wants "their school". Voters decided that it was more important to maintain crappy pieces of junk, but have them in THEIR area, than give the students new, modern, capable buildings. They'd rather have 60+ year old schools with lead pain, asbestos, leaking roofs, bad technology, etc, than get new buildings much better prepared to teach a child. No one want's "their" school to go because " my pappy went there, i went there, and little johnny went there". Big whoop. Again, little Johnny is getting a pile of crap to go to school in...way to look out for his future.

And I'm not going to be called hypocritical here....I went to Jarman, which was on the block for closure as well. I agree that it's a pile of crap as well. I don't neccessasrily believe that Del Crest and Monroney can handle the influx of students when Jarman and Kerr close, but I'd rather see improvements made at those facilties than continue with the crap that is Kerr and Jarman. And considering the declining enrollment at Del City High and their slip down to 5A in the next year or so, 1 middle school will be adequate. Midwest City is going to get there too, it just might take a little longer for enrollment to drop enough.

So what the school board is saying to the public is, "we're going to force your hand. This work HAS to be done and it's now up to you to give us the funds to make up for it. If you don't, then overcrowding will continue and it will be your fault for not voting for it...twice". On one hand I do think it's crappy that they are moving ahead before they have a plan in place, but on the other hand at least this way the voters really need to get their heads out of their butts and vote this time.

Point of note though, the last bond issue BARELY failed. And many people reported they didn't go vote FOR the measure because they didn't think it would have any problem passing given the district's past passing rate. If they re-voted on it, it would pass. The district failed to get the masses out last time...they won't make the same mistake again.

21. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

I love the 7, 8, and 9th for Jr High (Mid-Del changed the term to Middle) and the 10, 11, and 12th for high school. You say that there is declining enrollment at DCHS. Well... Since Mid-Del got it right while most other schools got it wrong, but... I guess they could move over the 9th with the high school group and move over the 6th with the middle school group. Altho, it will be a disastrous graduation change among exiting elementary and middle levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I love the 7, 8, and 9th for Jr High (Mid-Del changed the term to Middle) and the 10, 11, and 12th for high school. You say that there is declining enrollment at DCHS. Well... Since Mid-Del got it right while most other schools got it wrong, but... I guess they could move over the 9th with the high school group and move over the 6th with the middle school group. Altho, it will be a disastrous graduation change among exiting elementary and middle levels.
    Thunder - they've already done that - Mid-Del Schools have been 6-8 and 9-12 for a few years now.

23. Default Re: 125 Million School BOnd Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri101 View Post
    Thunder - they've already done that - Mid-Del Schools have been 6-8 and 9-12 for a few years now.
    Amazing. Good thing I was done before that awful change.

well its official.
    The school board in an emotional knee jerk reaction voted to surplus and sale Sooner and Traub.

and they didnt allow any citizen input. Just called the motion, voted and walked away

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin 70 View Post
    well its official.
    The school board in an emotional knee jerk reaction voted to surplus and sale Sooner and Traub.

and they didnt allow any citizen input. Just called the motion, voted and walked away
    'Spect they knew they'd get hysterical patrons.

I'm willing to bet a lot of the same people upset about this voted against the bonds. There ain't no money tree. I feel bad for them. I expect few of them really thought this would happen.

Thread Information