Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Default Shooting at Penn Square Mall

So it seems kind of odd to me that a security guard decides to fire shots at some escaping shoplifters, in a very public place, when there is no mention of them being armed or operating their vehicle as a weapon as they escaped. I'm not taking up for the shoplifters, I could care less, but frankly I have no desire for me or loved ones to get caught in the cross-fire, potentially resulting in a life-changing event, over something so petty. I would like to hear some details as to why this was necessary, and if it wasn't, then I think there needs to be an investigation. I don't intend to return to that mall until someone comes out and publicly addresses this, ether explaining why this was necessary or admitting that it wasn't and then detailing the steps they will take to ensure that an appropriate level of response occurs in the future.

I'm a bit disappointed in The Oklahoman for not even asking the question of "why" in their article but hey what's new....

Shots Fired at Penn Square Mall
    From Staff Reports

About 1:50 p.m., a store security guard at Dillard's tried to stop two women he thought were trying to steal items from the store's jewelry department, said Oklahoma City police Capt. Patrick Stewart.

The security guard, who also is a police officer for the Oklahoma City Veterans Affairs Medical Center, fired at the women before they drove away from the mall, Stewart said.

Stewart said police do not know whether either woman was hit. "We do know for certain no bystanders or other shoppers were hit."

Police did not identify the security guard.

Officers are reviewing a surveillance video from inside Dillard's in hopes of identifying the suspects.

About an hour after the shooting, business at the mall and inside Dillard's continued as normal.

But some people who had parked in front of the store's west entrance had to wait to get to their cars until police finished looking for evidence.

An unidentified Dillard's employee said she did not see the shooting, but the incident caused a stir at the store.

"All I know is he shot through their back window," the employee said. "We don't know if they are alive or dead."

Calls to store and mall management about the shooting were not returned Friday.

The getaway car is described as an older, red four-door sedan, Stewart said. The car may have bullet holes or other damage from the shooting.

The women appeared to be white. The surveillance video shows both have long, dark hair. One is wearing a red T-shirt, while the other is wearing a black T-shirt and jeans.

Stewart said police have checked with metro-area hospitals and have not received any reports of women fitting the description coming in with gunshot wounds.

http://www.newsok.com/shots-fired-at...adlines_widget

Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Shooting to kill at shoplifters already in a vehicle?...definitely necessary IMO

I smell some charges...doubt police are allowed to shoot in this situation

Well I, for one, will be doing all of my shoplifting at Quail Springs from now on.

The only justifiable reason I can see for the guard opening fire would be if he thought his life or others were in danger. Perhaps he saw a weapon of some sort, which could include the vehicle if they tried to run over him. If that is the case, I would have expected that information to have been released early on.

A lot of people will probably question the wisdom having having armed security guards. Unfortunately, mall shootings do happen, so it's a necessary evil. I do think a better practice might be for malls themselves to employ any armed security. Stores could still have unarmed guards to watch for shoplifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Well I, for one, will be doing all of my shoplifting at Quail Springs from now on.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Good call.
    One wonders what this security guard did to lose his legit law enforcement gig.

The story said nothing about him losing his regular gig, only that he is a member of VAMC's police force. It's not at all uncommon for peace officers to take on part-time security jobs during their off-duty hours.

Got to love mall cops!

9. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Sounds as if he shot through the back window as the car was fleeing. Makes no sense to discharge a weapon in that instance. He should face charges if the DA's office maintains that they apply the law unbiasedly. Looks like the guard/cop took things way too personally. Give chase, yell "stop," if they don't stop then yell "stop" again. Get a tag number if you can and wave goodbye ~ but don't discharge your weapon for something so petty. Another reason I'm licensed to carry and choose not to.

Unless they tried to run him down, he dodged the car, then opened fire when it passed. I'm not saying it was a wise choice to open fire, even in that scenario. For now, we just don't know.

There's must be more to this story?

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    There's must be more to this story?
    Well it seems difficult to justify the shooting, as much as we're trying to. It's going to take a LOT "more" to justify it..

Matt, if shoplifting is your thing, you're probably already a regular at Quail Springs.

Perhaps it would be best to hear all sides of the story before crucifying Paul Blart Mall cop. The media has never been one for showing all sides of the story and as the old saying goes- "there are two sides to every story and the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Facts of the Whole situation would be nice........

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    So it seems kind of odd to me that a security guard decides to fire shots at some escaping shoplifters, in a very public place, when there is no mention of them being armed or operating their vehicle as a weapon as they escaped. I'm not taking up for the shoplifters, I could care less, but frankly I have no desire for me or loved ones to get caught in the cross-fire, potentially resulting in a life-changing event, over something so petty. I would like to hear some details as to why this was necessary, and if it wasn't, then I think there needs to be an investigation. I don't intend to return to that mall until someone comes out and publicly addresses this, ether explaining why this was necessary or admitting that it wasn't and then detailing the steps they will take to ensure that an appropriate level of response occurs in the future.

I'm a bit disappointed in The Oklahoman for not even asking the question of "why" in their article but hey what's new....

Shots Fired at Penn Square Mall
    From Staff Reports

About 1:50 p.m., a store security guard at Dillard's tried to stop two women he thought were trying to steal items from the store's jewelry department, said Oklahoma City police Capt. Patrick Stewart.

The security guard, who also is a police officer for the Oklahoma City Veterans Affairs Medical Center, fired at the women before they drove away from the mall, Stewart said.

Stewart said police do not know whether either woman was hit. "We do know for certain no bystanders or other shoppers were hit."

Police did not identify the security guard.

Officers are reviewing a surveillance video from inside Dillard's in hopes of identifying the suspects.

About an hour after the shooting, business at the mall and inside Dillard's continued as normal.

But some people who had parked in front of the store's west entrance had to wait to get to their cars until police finished looking for evidence.

An unidentified Dillard's employee said she did not see the shooting, but the incident caused a stir at the store.

"All I know is he shot through their back window," the employee said. "We don't know if they are alive or dead."

Calls to store and mall management about the shooting were not returned Friday.

The getaway car is described as an older, red four-door sedan, Stewart said. The car may have bullet holes or other damage from the shooting.

The women appeared to be white. The surveillance video shows both have long, dark hair. One is wearing a red T-shirt, while the other is wearing a black T-shirt and jeans.

Stewart said police have checked with metro-area hospitals and have not received any reports of women fitting the description coming in with gunshot wounds.

http://www.newsok.com/shots-fired-at...adlines_widget
    They didn't ask why, because bad journalism is bad. They think they have all the facts, but they can't even ask simple questions.

15. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

"Calls to store and mall management about the shooting were not returned Friday."

Can't ask questions if the people with the answers refuse to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by megax11 View Post
    They didn't ask why, because bad journalism is bad.
    Bad journalism is bad. Another nugget of wisdom from megax11.

17. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Comment.

18. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Interesting that he shot at white women - suspected of stealing jewelry nonetheless. .....

I never thought I'd ever hear of such a scenario with BOTH points. You hear of white women stealing but not of there being much of an attempt to stop them. Times are changing?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

MadMonk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Interesting that he shot at white women - suspected of stealing jewelry nonetheless. .....

I never thought I'd ever hear of such a scenario with BOTH points. You hear of white women stealing but not of there being much of an attempt to stop them. Times are changing?
    Maybe they left their "White shoplifting free pass" cards at home.

They weren't white women. At least one of them looked Hispanic to me, in the video footage.

21. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

That has to be purely a baiting comment ~ surely you're not really that ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Bad journalism is bad. Another nugget of wisdom from megax11.
    We would certainly have more details if Penn Square Mall had a Toys R Us

23. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Must. Really. Resist. Urge. To. Comment

Come on steve.......you know you want to.....do it....do it......i dare you....do it!!!

25. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

No, no, no ... must reserve strength to debate you in another thread!
    (I really do hope to meet you sometime - sorry we couldn't do so when I grabbed coffee with Andy a couple weeks ago)

Thread Information