So it seems kind of odd to me that a security guard decides to fire shots at some escaping shoplifters, in a very public place, when there is no mention of them being armed or operating their vehicle as a weapon as they escaped. I'm not taking up for the shoplifters, I could care less, but frankly I have no desire for me or loved ones to get caught in the cross-fire, potentially resulting in a life-changing event, over something so petty. I would like to hear some details as to why this was necessary, and if it wasn't, then I think there needs to be an investigation. I don't intend to return to that mall until someone comes out and publicly addresses this, ether explaining why this was necessary or admitting that it wasn't and then detailing the steps they will take to ensure that an appropriate level of response occurs in the future.

I'm a bit disappointed in The Oklahoman for not even asking the question of "why" in their article but hey what's new....

Shots Fired at Penn Square Mall
From Staff Reports

About 1:50 p.m., a store security guard at Dillard's tried to stop two women he thought were trying to steal items from the store's jewelry department, said Oklahoma City police Capt. Patrick Stewart.

The security guard, who also is a police officer for the Oklahoma City Veterans Affairs Medical Center, fired at the women before they drove away from the mall, Stewart said.

Stewart said police do not know whether either woman was hit. "We do know for certain no bystanders or other shoppers were hit."

Police did not identify the security guard.

Officers are reviewing a surveillance video from inside Dillard's in hopes of identifying the suspects.

About an hour after the shooting, business at the mall and inside Dillard's continued as normal.

But some people who had parked in front of the store's west entrance had to wait to get to their cars until police finished looking for evidence.

An unidentified Dillard's employee said she did not see the shooting, but the incident caused a stir at the store.

"All I know is he shot through their back window," the employee said. "We don't know if they are alive or dead."

Calls to store and mall management about the shooting were not returned Friday.

The getaway car is described as an older, red four-door sedan, Stewart said. The car may have bullet holes or other damage from the shooting.

The women appeared to be white. The surveillance video shows both have long, dark hair. One is wearing a red T-shirt, while the other is wearing a black T-shirt and jeans.

Stewart said police have checked with metro-area hospitals and have not received any reports of women fitting the description coming in with gunshot wounds.

http://www.newsok.com/shots-fired-at...adlines_widget