Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

1. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

didnt feel it at 240 and sooner

Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

I know that it was litle more than a surprising freak event for most but is anyone just a little concerned? I remember about 2 years ago, everyone was fretting that a magnitude 3 quake hit the Mid-Del area, then last spring the area was hit with a magnitude 4. Today we get a magnitude 5. What's next, 6? At that level, there starts to be pretty noticeable damage, especially to older buildings. Maybe I'm just a little freaked out that the building my condo is in is over 90 years old and I can't get the mental image of my building pancaking and pulverizing my body. Yikes!

3. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

Here's a better quality video of OUSooner56's video.....
    I've been telling people I heard the earthquake more than felt it and I think if you listen to this video, you'll see what I mean.

Edit: This is interesting, too:
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/10/13/...hquake-country

and this

"Earthquake Experts In Oklahoma When Quake Hit"
    http://www.ktul.com/Global/story.asp?S=13317107

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I know that it was litle more than a surprising freak event for most but is anyone just a little concerned? I remember about 2 years ago, everyone was fretting that a magnitude 3 quake hit the Mid-Del area, then last spring the area was hit with a magnitude 4. Today we get a magnitude 5. What's next, 6? At that level, there starts to be pretty noticeable damage, especially to older buildings. Maybe I'm just a little freaked out that the building my condo is in is over 90 years old and I can't get the mental image of my building pancaking and pulverizing my body. Yikes!
    USGS installed a bunch of seismographs since then. So they probably got a lot of data from this earthquake.

Here's something I found on the net that is interesting and I knew somewhat that the intensity of quakes compound on each Richter rating...

"What if we compare a 7.0 quake and a 5.0 aftershock? How much weaker is the 5.0 aftershock? Well, from 7.0 to 6.0 means it is 10 times weaker. And when we go from 6.0 to 5.0, this is ten times weaker. So overall, if we go from 7.0 to 6.0, and then 6.0 to 5.0, we have represented a 10 times decrease multiplied by another 10 times decrease, or a (10x10)=100 times less intense aftershock."

Here's the actual link if you'd like to read more: http://www.algebra.com/algebra/homew...ion.47886.html

So basically that earthquake today was 100 times stronger than the earthquake in the Mid Del area a couple of years ago. If we had a 6.0, could you imagine an earthquake being 10 times stronger than what was today?? I'm glad I live upstairs!

If anyone has an interest in EQ stuff about Northridge, 1994...here is a good link...
    http://wn.com/Northridge_Earthquake_Damage

Had a little rumbling in Tuttle. What about the closed/condemned/whatever building in downtown Norman (the Vista, I believe)? Is it still standing?

Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    It was very noticeable on the 2nd floor of a bldg in DT Norman, but just a bit more than a mile away, my spouse was outdoors at the time and she dinna feel anything nor did she hear anything. I dunno why stuff like that happens.
    It all depends on what kind of soil you are standing on.

Quote Originally Posted by silvergrove View Post
    I'm disappointed that Governor Henry did not declare a state of emergency. Anyone want to set up an Oklahoma Earthquake survivor fund?
    http://www.ksbitv.com/news/45-Magnit...104860579.html

Earthquake Measures As High As 5.1 (KSBI, 10/13/10)
    Gov. Brad Henry said authorities are in the process of reviewing state infrastructure. Teams have been examining roads, bridges and other state structures to determine if any damage occurred and whether any additional actions are necessary to protect public safety.
    Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett relesed a statement, saying: "It's obviously extremely unusual for an earthquake of this magnitude to be felt in Oklahoma City. Fortunately, we have no reports of injuries or significant damage. We are awaiting further information but we have no reason to believe this is anything other than merely an interesting event."

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    Had a little rumbling in Tuttle. What about the closed/condemned/whatever building in downtown Norman (the Vista, I believe)? Is it still standing?

Just wondering.
    So far as I know, today's shake n bake notwithstanding, work on the Vista continues. Last word I heard was folks will begin moving in come Jan or Feb of next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
    What about the closed/condemned/whatever building in downtown Norman (the Vista, I believe)? Is it still standing?
    It is still standing. The workers that were in the Vista building at the time of the earthquake all ran outside...like they were being chased by a ghost.

12. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

A post from someone elsewhere.

The Madrid fault is not too far from here-it produced devastating earthquakes about 100 years ago. If memory serves, geologists concluded that the fault experiences major quakes about every 100-150 years. A large part of southern and south- western Oklahoma sits over the Anadarko basin, I think it is. Any connection?
    Well, should we be very afraid as suggested in Brian's graphic?

As the Great Lakes, at 600 feet above sealevel, rushes down the Mississippi River. at least 50 miles on each side, the 600 foot wave will destroy much of America, right down the middle. All due to the oil spill event. After the oil dumps billions of gallons of oil, then the ice cold water will enter the crevice, where it is 400 degrees, and cause an explosion, and the mother of all tsunanmi waves, which will wipe out the Gulf States, including Florida. THEN the Madrid faultline will blow, Goodbye, Chicago and Saint Louis, and all the other cities in its path. There will be no time to evacuate, and it will be impossible to try to outrun the rushing water from the TWO catastrophes.

Another earthquake along the New Madrid fault could cause a tsunami-like flood that would devastate the cities along the Mississippi River
    . Edgar Cayce actually prophesied a two-stage Midwest flood in which the Great Lakes would overflow into the Mississippi and a great watery divide would split the USA down the middle. The Mississippi River would then become the Great Midwest Strait.
    http://beforeitsnews.com/story/77/59...ssissippi.html

Google brings up a discussion elsewhere. Increase of massive quakes in Arkansas. And then we experienced one here. Many more to come.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...age1216938/pg1

Interesting post...

Today being 10-10-10 is further activation of the great Atlantean crystal buried in Arkansas. It's also a further opening of the other Atlantean crystals that already opened back on 8-8-8 and 9-9-9. These will continue to open and intesify on 11-11-11 and 12-12-12 leading up to 12-21-12. That's why the quake activity, especially in Arkansas today. The 10-10-10 activation today also aligns and activates major crystal centers located globally on it's axiatonal alignment. This is not an illumaniti date of doom but rather a further expansion of consciousness and grounding of multiple dimensions into one focal point or point of entry.

Feed your fishies, hug your momma and otherwise go about your daily routines lad. You'll be fine.

14. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

OK, I don't get why so many people here in town felt it for so much longer than I did. I see people talking about feeling it for several seconds and near the airport, we felt the "shift" but it only shifted once and didn't really even last a full second. It's like one ripple ran through the area and that's it. Nothing like in that video above.

15. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    OK, I don't get why so many people here in town felt it for so much longer than I did. I see people talking about feeling it for several seconds and near the airport, we felt the "shift" but it only shifted once and didn't really even last a full second. It's like one ripple ran through the area and that's it. Nothing like in that video above.
    I'm sure it has mostly to do with what kind of structure you're in and what are the geological features of the ground you are currently on. Some structures 'give' more in earthquakes and that results in more rattling and swaying. Other structures are more rigid and may not give at all until there is a structural failure. I'm sure there are also geological structures under the ground that adsorb or reflect such tremors - unlike the ripple effect on the surface of water that tends to spread out evenly. Just a guess on my part.

I suspect California would not be a good choice to a new residence for Thunder...

17. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

OK, so 48 hours later, does anyone think the media coverage on this was a bit into overkill?

Not much other news Wednesday...was more unusual than a storm front coming through which can stop trains in the tracks around here...I was glad to see all of it, but I have a decent interest in these matters--and others may not.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    OK, so 48 hours later, does anyone think the media coverage on this was a bit into overkill?
    NO, it was not a bit into overkill. In my opinion it went WAAAAAAAY beyond just a bit of overkill.

Here is something to think about. Prior to 1978 there were 160 known earthquakes in Oklahoma. Since 1978 there have been over 1,700.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Well you have to keep in mind that we're used to hour after hour of weather coverage. For such an unusual event it may be overkill, but I don't think it was totally out of line.

22. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Here is something to think about. Prior to 1978 there were 160 known earthquakes in Oklahoma. Since 1978 there have been over 1,700.
    I'm guessing that has everything to do with technology, focused interest and more measuring devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    That number seems low, in an Oklahoman article it said we have had over 500 just this year (that number seems high). Granted the vast majority nobody ever feels. If it wasn't for those little needles, nobody would know. LOL

Did anybody just feel something? I'm down just south of Sooner and 240. Slight rumble, probably hard to detect (its a quiet early morning at 4:30am), it almost felt like thunder when the house shakes, except that the floor vibrated in a way that felt similar (although milder than) to the last earthquake.

I made a report at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/, if you did too don't forget to make one!

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeeGrlinOKC View Post
    Did anybody just feel something? I'm down just south of Sooner and 240. Slight rumble, probably hard to detect (its a quiet early morning at 4:30am), it almost felt like thunder when the house shakes, except that the floor vibrated in a way that felt similar (although milder than) to the last earthquake.

I made a report at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/, if you did too don't forget to make one!
    Leonard only shows one on the 18th and none on 19th. They'd probably have picked it up.

Thread Information