Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Says OKC On Rutgers Student Privacy Invasion Suicide?

Default What Says OKC On Rutgers Student Privacy Invasion Suicide?

Default Secretly Videotaping Leads to Suicide

Msn Link

I think it is so sad that kid wasn't strong enough to stay alive (if he really did commit suicide).

However, all 3 of them are total idiots: the 2 tapers who were smart enough to get into Princeton, but not smart enough to think of the consequences for secretly videotaping someone and the guy who killed himself - how is killing yourself solving anything?

Through it all, I feel most sad for the families and friends of these 3 individuals.

What do you think of this?

Default Re: Secretly Videotaping Leads to Suicide

Sad all the way around

4. Default Re: Secretly Videotaping Leads to Suicide

I think calling the suicide victim an 'idiot' is completely off base.

The young man was a teenager in college and his private act of homosexual sex was broadcast by his roommate and another friend for the world to see. I think any reasonable person could see where this would be too much for some emotional teens to handle.

I hope the teens involved in the broadcast receive some prison time and thousands of hours of community service (public speaking preferably).

5. Default Re: What Says OKC On Rutgers Student Privacy Invasion Suicide?

Already a thread on this.

Default Re: What Says OKC On Rutgers Student Privacy Invasion Suicide?

Our question to you today: What should have been done to protect Tyler Clementi?
    If I was Tyler Clementi I would have beat the crap out of my roommate while we was sleeping (or at least hit him with a few thousand volts from a stun gun). He wouldn't be streaming anything else for a long time.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100930/D9II1KAG2.html

"And we are sickened that anyone in our society, such as the students allegedly responsible for making the surreptitious video, might consider destroying others' lives as a sport."

"If the charges are true, these actions gravely violate the university's standards of decency and humanity," McCormick wrote.

“The Middlesex County prosecutor's office charged the pair, both 18, with two counts apiece of invasion of privacy, claiming they used the webcam to view and transmit a live image of Clementi on Sept. 19. Ravi was also charged with two more counts of invasion of privacy alleging he tried to transmit another encounter of Clementi on Sept. 21.

Collecting or viewing sexual images without consent is a fourth-degree crime. Transmitting them is a third-degree crime with a maximum prison term of five years.”

“More than 100 people attended a campus rally Wednesday night, with some lying on the ground and chanting things like, "If my dorm's not safe, Rutgers isn't safe."

"Had he been in bed with a woman, this would not have happened," said Lauren Felton, a 21-year-old student from Warren. "He wouldn't have been outed via an online broadcast and his privacy would have been respected and he might still have his life."

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Already a thread on this.
    You are correct that there was already a thread on this - this one. Created 9:35 am.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
    You are correct that there was already a thread on this - this one. Created 9:35 am.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    If I was Tyler Clementi I would have beat the crap out of my roommate while we was sleeping (or at least hit him with a few thousand volts from a stun gun). He wouldn't be streaming anything else for a long time.
    If you don't fight back--life is hell. But--he probably thought he was much safer in a VERY LIBERAL college on the East Coast...oops...I guess maybe he bought into the facade like "so many others". The perps should be pilloried--but--legal mumbo-jumbo will mean a small fine most likely...then the inevitable trip to CNN's liberal arm HeadlineNews and Nancy Grace--and--why not? She has already set up a gay man to be murdered (and he WAS)...so she is an accepted authority on the subject matter.

How are the twins, Nancy?

It just goes on and on...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    If you don't fight back--life is hell. But--he probably thought he was much safer in a VERY LIBERAL college on the East Coast...oops...I guess maybe he bought into the facade like "so many others". The perps should be pilloried--but--legal mumbo-jumbo will mean a small fine most likely...then the inevitable trip to CNN's liberal arm HeadlineNews and Nancy Grace--and--why not? She has already set up a gay man to be murdered (and he WAS)...so she is an accepted authority on the subject matter.

How are the twins, Nancy?

It just goes on and on...

What is wrong with those young people who did this?

I don't care who the man slept with - it was not only none of their business, it was horribly cruel to do what they did. Shame on them. If there is any justice, they will be shunned by everyone, including their mother but it won't happen. Everyone who knows them will tsk tsk and tell them "they couldn't know" he was so fragile.

You can't go anywhere today without being videoed. Gas stations, convenience stores, walmart,.. etc. We as a society made the decision that's alright to video people with or without their consent. You can't turn on the TV today without seeing somebody being humiliated for our entertainment like is done on Cops, American Idol, Biggest Loser or heck even CNN's Nancy Grace. The list goes on and on.

What these kids did was wrong but how the hell can I expect young people raised in a culture of voyeuristic pleasure watching others demeaned to know that what they did is wrong. They're just stepping up a bit from what they've witnessed their entire lives. What's considered entertainment these days is sickening in my book but eh the free market has spoken.

Now of course we all know that the root blame here is liberals. I'm just sure it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    You can't go anywhere today without being videoed. Gas stations, convenience stores, walmart,.. etc. We as a society made the decision that's alright to video people with or without their consent. You can't turn on the TV today without seeing somebody being humiliated for our entertainment like is done on Cops, American Idol, Biggest Loser or heck even CNN's Nancy Grace. The list goes on and on.

What these kids did was wrong but how the hell can I expect young people raised in a culture of voyeuristic pleasure watching others demeaned to know that what they did is wrong. They're just stepping up a bit from what they've witnessed their entire lives. What's considered entertainment these days is sickening in my book but eh the free market has spoken.

Now of course we all know that the root blame here is liberals. I'm just sure it is.
    The solution is quite simple. Don't give a flying f*** what anyone else thinks of what you do. If they don't like it--let them go somewhere else. The problem was--this kid let OTHERS carve out his spot in life, instead of doing it himself. If your roommate puts a cam on you...put a 5-wood up the side of his head when he looks sideways at you...he won't mess you with anymore--I guarantee it. Otherwise...there is an endless supply of bullies out there to make your life miserable....learn that or lose. That is how things are--like it or not.
    Last edited by jmarkross; 09-30-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: crx

15. Default Re: What Says OKC On Rutgers Student Privacy Invasion Suicide?

"Gas stations, convenience stores, Wal-Mart, etc" are all public places or places of public accommodation where the individual has no legal expectation of privacy. In a dorm room with the door and windows closed is a completely different matter. You can't blame "society" for the actions of these dumb asses. You may not hold our youth to a reasonable standard but hopefully most people do.

What they did was wrong and if they were too stupid to know it at the time, I'm sure they soon will ~ and deservedly so.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    "Gas stations, convenience stores, Wal-Mart, etc" are all public places or places of public accommodation where the individual has no legal expectation of privacy. In a dorm room with the door and windows closed is a completely different matter. You can't blame "society" for the actions of these dumb asses. You may not hold our youth to a reasonable standard but hopefully most people do.

What they did was wrong and if they were too stupid to know it at the time, I'm sure they soon will ~ and deservedly so.
    It was certainly wrong...but no one is going to come along and "pass" a law or enforce some rule to make things better. Hopefully--the perps will be scarred for life--by their own conscience--hopefully. But, there is no real empirical reason to expect that. There just are no protectors around for all cases...hence--that is why most thinking people keep a .38 or .45 "friend" beside the bed. You'll never be able to beat everyone in a altercation--always a bigger guy somewhere--but you CAN "make him an offer" he OUGHT NOT refuse.

Meanwhile, how is the other guy in the prank sex video doing? Simply keeping a very low profile?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Meanwhile, how is the other guy in the prank sex video doing? Simply keeping a very low profile?
    Rutgers...East Coast elites...just watch and see...it will all be swept under the rug and they will transfer to Dartmouth--a much wilder school...and life will go on as usual. Not unlike Chappaquiddick...

Roadhawg: I agree.

BBatesokc: Whether I was off-based calling the victim an 'idiot' or not, he still wasn't a very smart person.

Yes, I can see that this was a lot for some to handle, but any reasonable person would understand that killing oneself solves nothing. Anyhow, I do hope the other 2 receive prison time and hours upon hours of community service for invading Tyler Clementi's privacy.

I meant college not Princeton.

threads merged. -M

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    The problem was--this kid let OTHERS carve out his spot in life, instead of doing it himself. If your roommate puts a cam on you...put a 5-wood up the side of his head when he looks sideways at you...he won't mess you with anymore--I guarantee it.
    You're right...he won't mess with you anymore because your happy azz will be doing hard time for assault with a deadly weapon, while he's merrily going about his life. sheesh....

Quote Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
    You're right...he won't mess with you anymore because your happy azz will be doing hard time for assault with a deadly weapon, while he's merrily going about his life. sheesh....
    Hardly. Gang-bangers do FAR FAR worse things everyday and get probation...what planet do you live on?

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Hardly. Gang-bangers do FAR FAR worse things everyday and get probation...what planet do you live on?
    I live in the real world...where folks like you let their mouths overload their azz and have to pay the price for it. What planet do you live on? Surely you don't fancy yourself to be some gang-banger, do you? Hey..I'll bet you think you could quarterback an NFL team from your recliner, too? Am I right? LOL LOL

Thread Information