Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Fire Station #4 to celebrate grand opening on Wednesday"

Default Re: "Fire Station #4 to celebrate grand opening on Wednesday"

Flintysooner, can you be a little more specific? 30th and Phillips? 8's has always been in the 1900 blk of Exchange. Station 2 was located at 211 N. Walnut and was relocated to Bryant and Britton. Station 3 was at 1111. North Hudson and relocated to 116th and North MacArthur. All about the growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemarsh51 View Post
    Flintysooner, can you be a little more specific? 30th and Phillips? 8's has always been in the 1900 blk of Exchange. Station 2 was located at 211 N. Walnut and was relocated to Bryant and Britton. Station 3 was at 1111. North Hudson and relocated to 116th and North MacArthur. All about the growth.
    I'm probably thinking about 40 years but I recall a station about NE 30th or NE 36th and Phillips. Long time ago

I think you mean old station 18, Just east of Lincoln on NE 36th. Relocated to 4100 blk of Prospect in the early 90's.

Flinty,
    That was old station 18 that was moved to NE 40th and Prospect around 1990. The building is still standing and is in use by the 5th Quarter (Black FF's association).

Also went back to Cafe's post on priorities from the 2006 study to refresh my memory. Here were the timelines from the recommendations with my personal comments in ( ).

[COLOR="rgb(0, 0, 0)"]Budget Year Number Recommendation Page [/COLOR]
    FY 2008 8 Priority #1 –Construct a new fire station at the intersection of Reno Avenue
    and Lincoln Avenue in the “Bricktown” district. pg.80 (Being constructed now and will be new station 6)

FY 2008 9 Priority #2 – Relocate Station 6 from is current location to a location on the
    Northwest corner of Henney and Memorial Streets. Redeploy the Tanker from Station 21 to the new Station 6 pg.81 (the topic of this thread, actually named station 4 and was opened last week with BP & Engine. Staffed tanker not currently housed there.)

FY 2009 11 Priority #3 – Relocate Station 4 from its current location to a location on the Northwest corner of Council and 104th Street. pg.85 (not complete, not sure if land has been purchased or not)

FY 2010 14 Deploy a new Rescue ladder Company at Station 28. pg.87 (not complete, still being discussed)

FY 2011 12 Priority #4 – Construct and deploy a new Paramedic Engine Company in the area of Richland and 59th Street pg 85 (not complete, not sure if land has been purchased or not)

FY 2013 13 Priority #5 – Construct and deploy a new Paramedic Engine Company and Tanker at Douglas and 149th Street. pg 85 (not complete, not sure if land has been purchased or not)

So in all fairness to the city, they are only 2 years behind in the studies recommendation on priority #2, 3 years behind on priority #1 and a still to be seen approach on the remainder priorities. The study was complete in Sept. of 2006. Total incidents for the city were just over 66,000 in 2005. OCFD just hit over 62,000 incidents today and is on track to top 80,000. The people needing help don't seem to understand that the city is behind on the priority list and just keep calling. The men and women of the OCFD keep answering the calls with less people than were in the department in 2006 and people wonder why they are vocal for what is needed to protect our community?

Quote Originally Posted by barnold View Post
    Flinty,
    That was old station 18 that was moved to NE 40th and Prospect around 1990. The building is still standing and is in use by the 5th Quarter (Black FF's association).
    Thanks, I remember now, 18. At least it had an 8 in it.

That's good information in the remainder of your post, too.

Since this is the most recent Fire thread... General question. What happened to Engine 5? I see a new engine, but I didn't think the previous one was that old. Maybe I'm mistaken. I miss the Federal Signal siren on the previous unit.

Engine 5 is a 2005 or 2007 E-one. The previous Engine 5 was a 1990 E-one and prior to that a 1984 American LaFrance. Not sure about the siren.

If i remember right a few months ago E5 was i believe checking fire hydrants when they were rearended cause it to be shipped to E one because of the damage. Since then thay have it back and yes it does look new but i think it might be refurbished from the one that was in the accident. It does have new lights and the new paint job as the new engine and ladders have.

Thread Information