Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Health Sciences Center

Default Re: Health Sciences Center

I can envision a Medical District Streetcar circulator for this area in several years. The parking area at the park and Lottie Ave would make an excellent connection to a future light/commuter rail system. Then the Med District circulator would run north on Lottie, to NE 13th, to Lincoln, and back to NE 4th. There could even be a stop on Lincoln where the Med Circulator would share a stop with an extended downtown streetcar system running between the CBD and Capitol.

It may seem insignificant news for now, but I think this medical research area has enormous potential to put OKC on the national and international radar for something other than energy and the Thunder. There is already a pretty good amount research located there now, but this might make it more common knowledge to people outside the medical community.

And here's a graphic from the HSC Master Plan that shows how they expect the area to grow:

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i wonder why they aren't looking at the land from 4th -6th street between stonewall to Lottie.... just seems awkward that there is a corner section missing there
    There is already an urban renewal district established for that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And here's an overview aerial...

Existing Health Sciences complex in blue, new Planned Unit Development as noted above in yellow, and the research park acquired by OU in pink:
    Thanks Pete.

This is a little dated (2007) but is a great overview of the HSC:

There is already an urban renewal district established for that area.
    well that answers that question then... thanks Pete

HangryHippo Guest

There is so much potential for this area. I'm really hoping it maximizes it all.

USGBC Oklahoma » LEED GOLD Building Tour – OKC

There is a free tour of the OMRF on October 26 which will be led by the USGBC Oklahoma Chapter. Oh and its free.

9. Default Re: Health Sciences Center

HangryHippo Guest

Neat idea coming out of the HSC with students hoping to launch a mobile, nonprofit grocery store called the OKC Mobile Market. Hope it's successful.

OUDaily.com | OU students starting nonprofit grocery story to bring healthy food to low-income areas

I tend to believe that a store needs a "site" that people know how to get to in order to buy something. I think this will fail, as most of these mobile things do. Anything that flies in the face of the conventional logic that you need a home isn't going to do as well as something that has a home.

What this says is that NE OKC is so dangerous and hopeless that it's not worth establishing a home for a grocery business. I think that a home for a grocery business would really do well in the JFK area or along the NE 23rd streetscape. I know these folks mean well, but this is just the kind of idea you sometimes get when a bunch of gung-ho volunteers get some vague notion of how to help.

At least it'll be a great resume builder for the "public relations co-chair." I think anyone who has recently been in college knows this drill all too well... volunteer, volunteer!! yay!! wait, what are we volunteering for? oh cool. sooo, can i have an important title? yaaaaaaaay...

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I tend to believe that a store needs a "site" that people know how to get to in order to buy something. I think this will fail, as most of these mobile things do. Anything that flies in the face of the conventional logic that you need a home isn't going to do as well as something that has a home.

What this says is that NE OKC is so dangerous and hopeless that it's not worth establishing a home for a grocery business. I think that a home for a grocery business would really do well in the JFK area or along the NE 23rd streetscape. I know these folks mean well, but this is just the kind of idea you sometimes get when a bunch of gung-ho volunteers get some vague notion of how to help.

At least it'll be a great resume builder for the "public relations co-chair." I think anyone who has recently been in college knows this drill all too well... volunteer, volunteer!! yay!! wait, what are we volunteering for? oh cool. sooo, can i have an important title? yaaaaaaaay...
    Man, sometimes your endless cynicism and negativity is just nauseating. I'm sure some will label it as "Spartan's just being realistic" but my god, give it a rest. Maybe these people thought it would be a good idea to try and maybe make a difference and you just **** all over it. It's a tried and true concept out of Nashville that seems to be working well there. Maybe we give this a try before decrying it as a resume builder for a PR co-chair.

HangryHippo Guest

I searched but didn't find a thread for the development, but there's some good progress being made on the OK Kids Korral. A lot of the steel framework is up and progress continues every day. I know some of our posters were disappointed by the lack of "urban", but I think we can all agree that this is going to be something very nice for those children battling disease and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I searched but didn't find a thread for the development, but there's some good progress being made on the OK Kids Korral. A lot of the steel framework is up and progress continues every day. I know some of our posters were disappointed by the lack of "urban", but I think we can all agree that this is going to be something very nice for those children battling disease and their families.
    Here's the thread for that project:

OK Kids Korral - OKCTalk

HangryHippo Guest

Here's the thread for that project:

OK Kids Korral - OKCTalk
    I thought I remembered one, but I just couldn't locate it. Please feel free to move my post to the appropriate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    Excellent video. Just some stunning shots of the new development. This area is becoming quite an impressive conglomeration, both in terms of architectural design and (hopefully) medical research work as well.

Here are a few pics of the OMRF building.

A little bit older one courtesy of downtownokc.com (hardly any wind turbines installed yet):

And some newer ones:

photos by shaofeng wang who works at the OMRF

very nice shots of the Beacon of Hope:

taken back in the spring

photo by Vincent Fryhover

HangryHippo Guest

I absolutely hate the design of the new OU Children's Physician Building and some design things they botched pretty badly, but there's a lot of good things going on on campus and I hope the momentum continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    very nice shots of the Beacon of Hope:

taken back in the spring

photo by Vincent Fryhover
    Does it is still light up at night?

HangryHippo Guest

For those who care, it looks like they're putting a Kamp's Deli in the new OU Children's Atrium. No word on when it's expected to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Does it is still light up at night?
    I have seen it after the Thunder games, but it is so dim it doesn't really matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I have seen it after the Thunder games, but it is so dim it doesn't really matter...
    I thought it used to light up so bright it shot up like a high power beam into the sky.

Blog Entries

Light has to have something to reflect off of. When there is a haze or moisture in the air (or smog) it appears to be bright. If the air is clear, clean and low humidity then you won't see much light at all. It is not the brightness of the source but the object receiving the light energy.

Thread Information