Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Health Sciences Center

1. Default Re: Health Sciences Center

It's the first one this particular company has ever built, which is why it's taking them longer than the ProCure facility....even though OU started first.

This one will actually be able to handle more patients than ProCure can. And hopefully, it won't be inaccurately treating patients for months like ProCure did either.

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Health Sciences Center

Anyone know the latest on the buildings that were coming for OUHSC's campus? I know one is supposedly in the final design stages, but I haven't heard a thing about the other one recently.

I'm not sure if this is the exact right thread - apologies if it is not - but it's in the immediate neighborhood.

Today on my way to work I noticed that the house at 928 NE 4th St (SW corner of NE 4th and N Kelley Ave) - an unoccupied house that I had nicknamed "The Rasta House" due to it's paint scheme - is in the process of being torn down. As of this morning (8 AM) all that was left of that house was the outer walls fronting NE 4th. It appears the property was purchased in September by "Downtown Brownstone LLC", and then a demolition permit was filed shortly thereafter. I can't find much of anything on the property owner, except their registered address is the same as the law firm of Riggs Abney. Given it's proximity to the Page Woodson School project, and the name of the LLC, it would not surprise me if the plan here was for urban housing. However, that is the only lot Downtown Brownstone owns in that block; the similarly named Brownstone Real Estate LLC demolished the house at 830 NE 4th St in 2013 and no further development has occurred there. The owner of the majority of the parcels in this block is PHF Redevelopment, LLC - owned (as the name implies) by the Presbyterian Health Foundation.

Driving down 10th street today, I came to the conclusion that the crosswalks may be doing more harm than good. At the very least, I think they're not the answer.

I know that cars are supposed to yield to pedestrians at those crosswalks. But I think in knowing that, it gives pedestrians a false sense of safety. When driving down the street and it's barely light out yet, it's difficult to see pedestrians, especially when they're wearing dark colored clothing. Then, if you have cars going the other direction, their headlights are shining at you which only adds to the difficulty. But the pedestrians, knowing they have the right of way, step right out into the road with nary a thought of whether the driver can see them or not. If I see you, I will stop. Otherwise I continue on.

Really, the streets around OUHSC need a redesign. When you have 3 wide open lanes going both ways, the design is telling cars to drive fast. Putting up signs and flashing lights doesn't solve the problem. Especially if they lights are always flashing. It contributes to sign fatigue to where people don't pay attention to it anymore.

The entire campus is a 24/7 school zone, isn't it?

I really hope we put all that extensive research and insight from the Brooking Institute to use. We could really make this a phenomenal community and even attract other global companies too.....the way things are trending we might be wasting all that good research!

New signage in the area (from https://twitter.com/OKCinnovation):

Everyone keeps comparing them to highway signs, but I think they look more like airport signs...

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Everyone keeps comparing them to highway signs, but I think they look more like airport signs...
    By 'everyone' do you mean Steve Lackmeyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    By 'everyone' do you mean Steve Lackmeyer?
    Touche...

And several other people who I know who work in the area that hate them. I can see the one Pete posted above from my office window.

I like them. There, said something positive

13. Default Re: Health Sciences Center

I think they're really handy, I wish they were around the first time I tried to find the Allergy clinic.
    I think an area with a lot of hospitals can definitely use signage that might be overboard because visitors could be under duress and not familiar with the area.

Blog Entries

Seems to me that as the most important medical center in the state drawing patients from all over who aren’t familiar with the area, that these type signs will be effective. Patient care and ease is a primary objective.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Touche...

And several other people who I know who work in the area that hate them. I can see the one Pete posted above from my office window.
    lol, just seems like I see that verbiage in every weekly downtown chat

Very clear and concise. Kudos!

Airport signs is what I thought of first too. I like it!

I don't mind the signs, but it is telling that the signs for the "Innovation District" look like highway signs instead of pedestrian-oriented wayfinding signs in walkable districts.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I don't mind the signs, but it is telling that the signs for the "Innovation District" look like highway signs instead of pedestrian-oriented wayfinding signs in walkable districts.
    I mean what do you expect? The whole idea of this area ever actually catering to pedestrians is laughable. Unfortunately.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    It IS telling that a medical district is doing something to make it easier for people who need medical attention to find the right place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I mean what do you expect? The whole idea of this area ever actually catering to pedestrians is laughable. Unfortunately.
    I disagree, but we aren't anywhere close to that being the reality nor has the area taken any steps to enhance pedestrian activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    I disagree, but we aren't anywhere close to that being the reality nor has the area taken any steps to enhance pedestrian activity.
    It has the potential, but I don’t think the owners really want that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    What medical center do you hold up as a model?

I'm not using a model, I'm just saying that it would be possible to slowly make changes over there to be better for pedestrians but that those changes haven't/aren't being made.

Blog Entries

Until some residential and commercial developments are done in and around the center, I wonder how much walking between the various clinics, hospitals, etc. really is going to take place. Seems like most visitors don't go to the area to spend the day visiting various medical offices. The school itself has a nice pedestrian area and their buildings are connected by walkways. If the area develops with more offices like the research area W of Lincoln, along with more suitable residential for health workers, then maybe the emphasis will change to pedestrians. Right now it is built to serve those in need of medical services and their families, and medical students.

Thread Information