Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Why Oklahoma City Could Represent the Future of America"

Default "Why Oklahoma City Could Represent the Future of America"

(I know it will be hard for some of you to get past the typos, but it's a good read)

Why Oklahoma City Could Represent the Future of America
    Sep 13 2010, 5:20 PM ET | Comment

The last time the United States suffered a recession this deep and painful, it was the Great Depression. That was the era of the Dust Bowl, the California pilgrimages out of Oklahoma that John Steinbeck etched into America's memory with The Grapes of Wrath. Eighty years later, California's housing market has run dry and Oklahoma is building river parks. As families gravitate back to the heartland, with its cheap homes and lower unemployment, the migration patterns of the Great Depression have turned backward. "It's the Wrath of Grapes," says Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett.

One of the under-reported stories of the recession is the emergence of the Great Plains during the recovery. The central time zone largely avoided the highs of the housing bubble, and they've blissfully missed the lows, as well. But that's not the only thing buoying Oklahoma.

This afternoon I spoke with Oklahoma City Mayor Cornett and Oklahoma Department of Commerce Secretary Natalie Shirley about why Oklahoma has fared so well during the recovery. Unemployment in Oklahoma City is 6.7 percent, three percentage points below the national average. It has the fourth most resilient housing market in the country, according the Brookings Institution.

Avoiding the swelling and crashing of the housing tsunami has been a primary cause of Oklahoma City's success. How did they miss the wave? Shirley said the answer goes back to 1982, and Penn Square Bank. Penn Square was a small, risky commercial bank that exploded in the late 1970s and imploded in the 1982 just as falling energy consumption hurt oil prices and slammed the Oklahoma economy. The Savings and Loans Crisis followed, but it was Penn Square took down the energy industry and the banking industry.

"Over 100 banks closed," she said. "The state ground to a halt. And the bankers today remember the crisis. They've developed very safe, very conservative banking practices since that catastrophic event in the early 1980s."

Built on the dependable pillars of local government spending, military (Tinker Air Force Base is the top employer), health care and education, the city is poised for strong and steady growth in the next few years. I asked the Shirley and the mayor what they thought might be the next engine of the Oklahoma economy.

"We don't really care," she responded. "What we're looking at is a balanced economy. We learned from the 1980s that having a one-trick pony just wasn't going to do it. We're looking at creating a more firm foundation."

That's when the mayor offered an fascinating re-casting of the new economy: "The 20th century perspective was that people went where the jobs were," he said. "Today the jobs are going to go where the people are. Highly talented young people are coming to us because of the low cost of living. People want to work here."

The bust revealed a scary truth: we can't afford what very recently passed for the American dream. We cannot run up debt equal to 122 percent of our yearly earnings, as we did during the late aughts. That means Americans will seek out cheaper places to live, where high quality of life goes for a bargain. Today, the cities that can offer that aren't the LAs and NYCs but rather the San Antonios and Oklahoma Cities.

Put another way: In an economy where people follow quality of living, and jobs follow people, cities with low cost-of-living will be the early winners in the recovery.

Indeed, they already are. Eighteen of Brookings' 20 "strongest cities" (all except Washington and VA Beach) have average or below average cost-of-living, according to a new Wall Street Journal story. At a time when Washington can't seem to get employers and employees together, employment has been sticky where wages and living have been cheap.

What's more, Oklahoma has the highest entrepreneur levels of any state, according to a recent report from the Kauffman Foundation. Mayor Cornett says it's easy to see why. "College graduates are moving to the metro area in high numbers because they see how far their money goes in housing and living," he said. "You're raising a generation of people who can't afford their own house. The American dream is alive and well in Oklahoma City."

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...america/62897/

Default Re: "Why Oklahoma City Could Represent the Future of America"

Oklahoma has the highest entrepreneur levels of any state, according to a recent report from the Kauffman Foundation.
    Take that all the naysayers on this site saying we need more entrepreneurs. Sure we do, but that discredits a lot of the claims on this website.

Great piece. The Atlantic is a fabulous publication. Kudos to Mayor Cornett for pointing out how appealing OKC has become for young people. I wish he would have mentioned -- and he may have -- that OKC isn't just a cheap place to live for young people; increasingly, it's a place where there are a lot of cool things happening for young people to do: food, deadcenter, up-and-coming neighborhoods, music scene, etc.

4. Default Re: "Why Oklahoma City Could Represent the Future of America"

Well cool... If we represent the future of America right now, then I guess there's no need to waste all that money on a choo-choo train for rich people in the downtown area!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post
    Well cool... If we represent the future of America right now, then I guess there's no need to waste all that money on a choo-choo train for rich people in the downtown area!

I'm smelling a hint of sarcasm here^^^

6. Default Re: "Why Oklahoma City Could Represent the Future of America"

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I'm smelling a hint of sarcasm here^^^
    yeah, but just watch... someone will read it, flip out bigtime and respond about how I must hate progress in OKC and I should leave if I don't like it or if I'm scared of change..

Or something along those lines...

This place isn't very much fun anymore..

I think what we've committed to do in the near future is a factor in the designation.

Besides, I think the reason that attracting young college educated people to the city is considered a good thing is ultimately about money. So, if it takes a choo choo to attract and keep more people who make and bring more money to the city, then "all aboard!".

And btw, if you don't like it... leave!

(just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoad View Post

I think I see what you're trying to say, but without being vitriolic in my reply, I would like to cordially point out that having a transit solution in the urban core goes right along with being an "up and coming" city that appeals to young people, not just a cheap place to live.

oklahoma city ranks right up there with dc as a city that has a very high number of government employees (fed and state), so i always find it ironic when so many people here shout over out of control government spending.

so im not sure if okc should be a 'model' for the rest of the US.

^^While The OKC Metro has a Large number of State and Federal workers , it doesn't even come close to D.C.!but I know what you are trying to say!The State Capitol and Tinker AFB represent Most of The Government jobs you are refering too!

There is no doubt that Oklahoma has a lot of momentum. A huge part of that was shown in an Oklahoman article last week that Devon was spending something like $800mil in western OK in the next year.

One big reason people move here...it is NOT the hub of liberal group-think and people are far more self-reliant, largely because those who started the city came from somewhere else and wanted just a stake here to develop as they saw fit--and the opportunity to make it on their own, in many diverse ways. Few cities have a heritage anywhere near this. Add to that, surviving the Depression AND The Dust Bowl simultaneously...solid folks in these "parts".

Banking is national. There are plenty of people around here with bad credit who got all the loans and credit they wanted. Two things make us different: A more stable housing market and energy.

Energy, specifically oil and natural gas, will continue to drive growth in Oklahoma. There are the management/engineering 'office' jobs in OKC and Tulsa (both cities are in the middle of one of the largest oil/gas producing regions in the country). And then there are the drilling/service operations in the rural areas of the Panhandle and western/southwestern OK (oil in the Anadarko Basin, gas in the Woodford Shale play) and in eastern/northeastern OK (Excello-Mulky and Caney shale plays) extending into Kansas and Arkansas (Fayetteville shale play). There is also a growing wind power industry in western OK.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    One big reason people move here...it is NOT the hub of liberal group-think and people are far more self-reliant, largely because those who started the city came from somewhere else and wanted just a stake here to develop as they saw fit--and the opportunity to make it on their own, in many diverse ways. Few cities have a heritage anywhere near this. Add to that, surviving the Depression AND The Dust Bowl simultaneously...solid folks in these "parts".
    Sounds great on paper. You just described the founding of pretty much every city in America. Also, based on the number of H2s on the roadway I'd say we've strayed just as far from the lessons of the great depression as anyone else.

One big reason people move here...it is NOT the hub of liberal group-think
    But it is the epicenter of conservative group-think. And a lot of those groups want to use the government to influence relationships, dictate religious views, and are often very very intolerant of things they don't understand or agree with. This is often the #1 reason I hear given as to why many would never move here or move back here, no matter how much cheaper it was for them. So, there are two sides to that coin. Whether that is a rational or well founded basis for making that declaration is debatable, but collectively we are as extreme to one side as any state is to either side and that is always going to put people off.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    But it is the epicenter of conservative group-think. And a lot of those groups want to use the government to influence relationships, dictate religious views, and are often very very intolerant of things they don't understand or agree with. This is often the #1 reason I hear given as to why many would never move here or move back here, no matter how much cheaper it was for them. So, there are two sides to that coin. Whether that is a rational or well founded basis for making that declaration is debatable, but collectively we are as extreme to one side as any state is to either side and that is always going to put people off.
    Put me on that list. If you're not 100% hardcore conservative you don't feel very welcome.

The metro areas that continue to perform the strongest in this recession (OKC, Washington/Baltimore, Austin/San Antonio, Boston, etc.) have large concentrations of government jobs, whether it be in the form of a military installation, a major university, federal/state jobs, large medical center, or a combo of all. Its not a liberal/conservative thing. There's plenty of free enterprise in the form of contractors and businesses that serve these entities.

As someone who works in the energy sector, I can tell you that the energy is not as recession proof as some of you think, as there have been plenty of layoffs with small serice-type companies over the past year. On the flip side, this sector didn't melt down like real estate or auto manufacturing, and its pretty poised for an upturn (at least I hope). And considering the hype over natural gas shale plays, it should benefit this area greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    The metro areas that continue to perform the strongest in this recession (OKC, Washington/Baltimore, Austin/San Antonio, Boston, etc.) have large concentrations of government jobs, whether it be in the form of a military installation, a major university, federal/state jobs, large medical center, or a combo of all. Its not a liberal/conservative thing. There's plenty of free enterprise in the form of contractors and businesses that serve these entities.

As someone who works in the energy sector, I can tell you that the energy is not as recession proof as some of you think, as there have been plenty of layoffs with small serice-type companies over the past year. On the flip side, this sector didn't melt down like real estate or auto manufacturing, and its pretty poised for an upturn (at least I hope). And considering the hype over natural gas shale plays, it should benefit this area greatly.
    If the federal government would get solidly behind natural gas it would be a tremendous asset for Oklahoma. This state, along with Texas and several other states like Pennsylvania, North Dakota, and Colorado, could see a huge shot in the arm with more natural gas drilling. It impacts Oklahoma the most though because the main players in the industry like Chesapeake and ONEOK are based here, along with many other smaller companies and associated companies. The key is keeping those companies here (and not in Texas) and nurturing start-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    You have no idea what "liberal" is. Don't be such a jerk, as there are many talented liberals that are playing a major role in making this city great. Not everything is about ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    You have no idea what "liberal" is. Don't be such a jerk, as there are many talented liberals that are playing a major role in making this city great. Not everything is about ideology.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    Put me on that list. If you're not 100% hardcore conservative you don't feel very welcome.
    Damn, I hate to make a "me too" post, but me too. I moved away 15 years ago, and due to job circumstances (being highest paid in my dept. got me laid off, and the first job I got after applying in Phoenix, St. Louis, KC, OKC, and a few other places was here), had to move back here. Oh, how I've hated it ever since, I feel like the guy that wrote to the Gazette about voting for change, voting for non-Republicans, trying to change things, beating his head against the wall for years (if not decades), and only getting a concussion out of it. I need to figure out what group(s) in OKC is/are fighting for change (against homophobia, racism, unbelievable anti-abortion laws, etc.) that are actually big and powerful enough to effect change here...

Indeed, that's one reason I have no desire to ever move back to OKC.

Then you should leave. Others are coming here for it. Move to California or New York...you will fit right in. It is only correct people should congregate with those who are like-minded...are you being held here against your will?

Quote Originally Posted by semisimple View Post
    Indeed, that's one reason I have no desire to ever move back to OKC.
    You are wise for that choice. And, thank you for your thoughtful decision.

Thread Information