Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where did our State Fair go?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Where did our State Fair go?

I miss the good ole days. Now we have no car races, no monster trucks, no rodeo,
    B class concerts, trailer style foods, trinkit and shamwow vendors, no real bozo, no
    freakshows, no real carnies, and pay parking and higher prices. Does anyone know what happened and where this is all going? Weren't we a top 10 fair at one time?

2. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

Quote Originally Posted by okcboy View Post
    I miss the good ole days. Now we have no car races, no monster trucks, no rodeo,
    B class concerts, trailer style foods, trinkit and shamwow vendors, no real bozo, no
    freakshows, no real carnies, and pay parking and higher prices. Does anyone know what happened and where this is all going? Weren't we a top 10 fair at one time?
    I'm pretty sure there's a lively conversation that was just recently brought up about this; not being rude, I just know there is and you'd probably like to read it. And FYI, Monster Truck shows and rodeos still happen.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

Yes, the fairgounds hasn't really built anything like a Monorail, Space Tower or Grand Stands as of late. These Iconic figures have always been the true "signature" of the fair and our fair park.

They are gone and so are so many memories like "All Sports Stadium (One Sport Stadium), Arrows-to-Atoms needle or arrow and others.

Are the Fair Board members"hoarding" money for some new project?

Everything that has been done as of late: Arena renovations, new barns and other improvements have all been funded by MAPS.

Where's the money?

The Oklahoma State Fair has become a joke compared to other state fairs.

5. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

I really miss the carnival atmosphere on the Midway. It's about 25% of what it was once upon a time. Not even sure if I'll go this year, it starts next week? The Minnesota State Fair, on the other hand, keeps the old-fashioned and mixes it with A-class traveling exhibits to coincide with the fair and so much more. If ours was one of the best at one time (and I think it was), it's now nothing but a memory. Maybe we need a serious consultant who does nothing but study and compare and give them a license to do what needs to be done. We had a State Fair executive that totally ruined things and now somebody that knows what they're doing needs to come in, (again - even as a consultant) and make it right. The use of traveling exhibits (I mean the A-class type from the Smithsonian, Disney, major museums, Hollywood, etc.) is a great way to add instant "cool" to the fair and keep it fresh, rebuilding the Midway with an old-fashioned theme would also help. Like somebody above said, even the trinket sellers and booths are a fraction of what they once were.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    IThe Minnesota State Fair, on the other hand, keeps the old-fashioned and mixes it with A-class traveling exhibits to coincide with the fair and so much more.
    I LOVE the Minnesota state fair. It blows Oklahoma's fair away - doesn't even compare. I think they could learn a thing or 2 from the MN state fair.

7. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    The Oklahoma State Fair has become a joke compared to other state fairs.
    Yep. The Oklahoma State Fair is absolutely terrible. Nearly all the landmarks are gone. And the fun too.

The tragic waste of the Grandstand was the capper for me. I'll not be returning to Fair Park until the current "regime" is gone and they've restored some of the traditions (will never happen).

I've always gone for the food and beer primarily so I haven't noticed much of a change

Now when my two yr old gets a little older the quality of the rest of the fair will become a little mo important

9. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

I have not been to the Oklahoma State Fair, but the feedback I have gotten has not been positive when the
    subject comes up in conversation.

I thought about bringing my daughter to a "Disney On Ice" show but I think I would like to have her first
    experience with Mickey be at Disneyland next summer.

The freak shows have been pretty much cut from most fairs. Things honestly got out of hand. I was at the
    Arkansas State Fair about 10 years ago and the had one. Some dwarf lady with no legs. She was getting cursed
    by patrons. It was pretty bad.

Fair food was always my favorite to check out. I saw somewhere that a fair had a Bacon-cheeseburger between
    two Krispy Creme donuts instead of a bun. I would never eat it but it but I would like to see what one looks like.

Chris
    http://www.radiookc.com

My feeling was that we seem to be losing more than we are gaining. No cottonwood post, no circus'. Seems like we are not doing the things to make our fair better,
    even though prices and revenue for projects our increasing. Is the space needle next?

The Texas State Fair is a good one to go to--not too far away in Dallas...has everything you will get to see at a Fair anywhere. The one here is so sanitized now...it is a of little interest to anyone, the food is routine fair stuff--rather overpriced (even for a Fair!) although the exhibits draw a decent crowd and the rides always will bring the teens...who might be able to stand the absolutely mind-boggling decibel level of noise some of the rides put out...like having a truck horn beside you head...shocking, really.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    The Texas State Fair is a good one to go to--not too far away in Dallas...has everything you will get to see at a Fair anywhere. The one here is so sanitized now...it is a of little interest to anyone, the food is routine fair stuff--rather overpriced (even for a Fair!) although the exhibits draw a decent crowd and the rides always will bring the teens...who might be able to stand the absolutely mind-boggling decibel level of noise some of the rides put out...like having a truck horn beside you head...shocking, really.
    Actually, living in Dallas the State Fair of Texas is not that great either. Food is lacking, no carnival atmosphere, fewer exhibitions. The grounds are kept nice and clean with it's Art Deco buildings however, in my opinion it is not much better than the State Fair of Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Actually, living in Dallas the State Fair of Texas is not that great either. Food is lacking, no carnival atmosphere, fewer exhibitions. The grounds are kept nice and clean with it's Art Deco buildings however, in my opinion it is not much better than the State Fair of Oklahoma.
    I agree...few times I have been down to OU TX I wasn't all that impressed..not much difference between the two

Seems like the powers that be are getting the Fairgrounds in shape so it can be sold to a private owner. Don't we have a fair board that should answer to the fact that we have a good fair or not? As it stands, it is not worth going to.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    That will sure be bad if the Texas State Fair ever does away with America's tallest Ferris wheel. What an icon.

16. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

I went yesterday evening and had a great time (my first OK State Fair ever--just moved here last year). The place was clean (I know surprising), the people were friendly, the food was good. Better than any fair I went to in Florida while I was living there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    That will sure be bad if the Texas State Fair ever does away with America's tallest Ferris wheel. What an icon.
    Not really an icon, just an icon of their state fair. It's no St. Louis Arch, London Eye, or Seattle Space Needle. Not to mention when the Pepsi Globe in New Jersey at the 2 BILLION dollar Meadowlands Xanadu mega-mall is finished later this year, it will no longer be the tallest in the U.S.

It isn't just the Oklahoma State Fair, many have been closing or have severely reduced their runs all over the country. The day of the fair in its current form is waning, just another casualty of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    Seems like the powers that be are getting the Fairgrounds in shape so it can be sold to a private owner. Don't we have a fair board that should answer to the fact that we have a good fair or not? As it stands, it is not worth going to.
    I think they are doing exactly what they want, making it into horse show central, the fair is probably an annoyance to them and their grand scheme.

Sad but true.

Back in late 80s early 90s when i was a kid, I loved going, it was the place to be.. when you where there you didnt need a map of the place you knew where you where at buy the land marks,, Ithe planes, the bubble domed looking building.. the fort etc.. I liked the little shows they had around daily, The parking seemed to be a lot more organized back then, and it seemed that there was little or no line to get in the entrances .. I didnt attend the fair from 2000-2007, i took my kids in 08 and i was lost, i dint really recognize much, the layout really sucks. I told my wife from now on if we want a fair day we will take the kids to a carnival then go to old paris flea market, because thats how the oklahoma state fair seems to have turned into

21. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

I remember when the fair had some really neat exhibits; One year they had a stunt driver and you could pay to ride along in either a car or a bus as he did figure 8's, etc. I also remember when a huge above ground pool was constructed and you could pay to ride around in an 'armored' bumper boat and shoot balls at other boats while people outside the pool paid to fire balls from cannons at all the boats. I bet I spent $100 of my allowance that year ~ probably in the 80's.

The last cool ride that is no more was the helicopter.

I remember when they had 'real' Freak Shows. I personally am glad they are gone. I went in one, one year and it was mostly live disabled animals (like a dog who could only walk on his front legs and a duck with two heads).

Unfortunately, many state fairs are going downhill.

The Colorado State Fair used to be an event that people wanted to attend, but over the last 10 years or so, the quality of the fair has done nothing but go downhill. The biggest problem for our fair is that they haven't been able to attract very many big names for concerts. Back in the 90's, our fair would have at least one or two big names come to the fair every year, such as Garth Brooks, Clint Black, LeAnne Rhymes, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Chris LeDoux. Now, we are reduced to seeing bands like Alice Cooper & Cheap Trick, the Doobie Brothers, and several other washed-up artists and bands.

Down here the Houston and San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo have replaced the fairs for the most part. The one in Austin is smaller but has moved more to that concept. My cousins band played out in Rockdale at the Fair & Rodeo out there, the small town ones are interesting, they kind of turn into an all ages country bar after the rodeo.

Quick question. What is the approximate date the renovations will be complete?

Just saw on the channel 4 news, that the space needle will not operate this year due to flooding. I hope this is not the beginning of the end for it too.

Thread Information