Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where did our State Fair go?

Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    I know this is crazy but instead of the oil derrick thing that was proposed to be built over the oklahoma river, how about placing it at the state fair in replacing of the needle!!!!
    Or better yet, don't build the ugly thing. Oklahoma has better designers than that. Rand Elliott's Turbonomic Tower concept would be way more innovative. Think bigger people!

but I think some are already griping about tax monies going towards needless "art" when real issues are being neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    The fair is expensive to display in for many small businesses, but lets not further promote the myths. I guarantee you a 10x10 booth 25-years ago was not $1,500/day.

According to this years price chart a premium 10x10 space (endcap, corner, indoors) is only $10/sq foot.
    Like advertising rates--it is all based on traffic or impressions...really no other way to base rates...

I would hate to see the space needle go. I love iconic structures. I enjoy looking at it heading down I-44 gazing east with the downtown skyline behind it. Just because it is no long "operational" as a ride doesn't mean it can't "operate" as a piece of OKC history/art all by itself...just standing there.

Blog Entries

Why don't we just apply to have a World's Fair. Then we can build iconic structures and pay for it for 20 years....but, oh what memories we would have.

6. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

Casey, why can't the fair divert just a small fraction of what it's spent on equine facilities on this one asset that has been enjoyed by so many of those who actually live here? Why settle with it becoming art?

How about the State Fair Board turning loose some of the pot of money they are sitting on, and repair the Space Needle. When you consider all the MAPS money that has been spent and the exorbitant rates and prices charged it it impossible not to realize that a lot of somebody are getting very rich.

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    Having a food booth at the fair is a tremendous undertaking! The State Fair Board even made it more diffcult when they expand the fair from 10 days to 19 days. Booth renters were paying even more with sales spread out over 19 days instead of 10. At least now they have dropped the length back to 11 days. Food booth vendors are considering rent, labor, food costs and other logistics costs into their business plan. If they cant make a decent profit, then its not worth setting up a booth. Who wants to work 16 hour days for almost two weeks and just break even.
    Articles I read indicated the opposite, when they shortened it to the 11 day run, daily attendance went up but not enough to make up for the shorter run and losing an entire weekend. It was at the same time that vendor rates went thru the roof (and if for a shorter run, then the increase was even higher).

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    All the iconic structures of the State Fair of Oklahoma are slowing disappearing from the landscape.

When is the City going to build something and stop half-stepping at Fair Park?

In February of 1968, there was talk of a proposed 100,000-seat stadium which would have cost around $5 to $7 million to build at the time (Oklahoman reported); we never pursued that.

Now, the few iconic structures we have at Fair Park at quickly disappearing.

Help, Chesapeake, Devon and Sandridge--we need you!

We need to replace the Space Tower with something 500 plus feet or taller.

Looks like we may be headed the stock show route which is popular in Houston and San Antonio.

Moo!

Someone correct me, but aren't those companies represented on the State Fair Board? (I certainly wouldn't look to SandRidge if you are trying to save anything). They are part of the problem with Clay Bennett at the top of the list. He has been the head honcho for at least 10 years now (can't find when he started) but an article indicated he was there before Skip Wagner came and went.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Like advertising rates--it is all based on traffic or impressions...really no other way to base rates...
    Sure you can, it's called increased revenues.

11. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

No love for the Space Needle here. Which is too bad as first-time visitors to our fair are always blown away by the needle itself and the views from the top. This is a case of hometowners are just used to it and can no longer appreciate it. But, damn, if we can just get fill-in-the-blank-retailer. We need to appreciate and preserve what we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    No love for the Space Needle here. Which is too bad as first-time visitors to our fair are always blown away by the needle itself and the views from the top. This is a case of hometowners are just used to it and can no longer appreciate it. But, damn, if we can just get fill-in-the-blank-retailer. We need to appreciate and preserve what we already have.
    Mike, I'm not quite sure what you're saying. I don't really get the connection between trying to get some retailer in OKC and perhaps retaining the Space Needle. Are you saying that those who want new retailers don't appreciate things that are already here and therefore aren't interested in the Space Needle? I've never heard that to be the case or that the Space Needle wasn't appreciated. There may be a few who are ambivalent but I don't think you can say that it is a consensus opinion by any means.

Mike, I think what he means is maybe there can be a business out there who will pay for the repairs to get it up and running again. Then they can name the Space Needle after them, like Devon Space Needle, or whoever. Then again, I could be wrong.

Blog Entries

The space needle looks more like it should fit at the Cleveland County fair than the Great State Fair of OKC. If we are going to do something we should do it right. Do something that is truly inspiring and memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    I know this is crazy but instead of the oil derrick thing that was proposed to be built over the oklahoma river, how about placing it at the state fair in replacing of the needle!!!!
    I would rather they move the needle near downtown. Heck put it in Bricktown. They would have more riders in one weekend than it gets a in year at the fair grounds.

http://www.gatlinburgspaceneedle.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Why don't we just apply to have a World's Fair. Then we can build iconic structures and pay for it for 20 years....but, oh what memories we would have.
    I'm pretty sure the Space Needle is paid for and wouldn't cost much to remain used or unused. Of course tearing down our history is such a popular pastime in this country, why be left out in the cold?

17. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Mike, I'm not quite sure what you're saying. I don't really get the connection between trying to get some retailer in OKC and perhaps retaining the Space Needle. Are you saying that those who want new retailers don't appreciate things that are already here and therefore aren't interested in the Space Needle? I've never heard that to be the case or that the Space Needle wasn't appreciated. There may be a few who are ambivalent but I don't think you can say that it is a consensus opinion by any means.

My point was there are certain posters who clearly don't like the Space Needle. I argued that it is simply under-appreciated and we are used to it so we fail to see the unique aspects of it. The bit about the retailers was a jab at the same posters who are constantly harping on how OKC will be better with this new retailer and that new retailer. I believe that things like the Space Needle are, in the end, far better to preserve than listen to those who don't care because their main concerns lie with which new "name" retailer is coming to OKC. Oh, and I never even suggested that anything was a consensus opinion. Sorry if I wasn't very clear, reading over that post again I can see how it wasn't very cogent.

Sell it on Ebay.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't the space needle already under corporate sponsorship? I thought I remembered seeing Devon's name plastered about it in 08.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Casey, why can't the fair divert just a small fraction of what it's spent on equine facilities on this one asset that has been enjoyed by so many of those who actually live here? Why settle with it becoming art?
    I'm not sure if that's a serious question because you know I obviously don't know the answer. My response would first be to wonder what a "small fraction" is and my second response is quite frankly I'm not a big fan of spending money on something that is really only used 10 days of the 365 year calendar...but that might just be me.

I just don't want it knocked down. I would love for it to be renovated and spotlit as a piece of OKC's history and tall art structure seen from the interstate. I don't think it becoming art would be just "settling" as you mentioned, Steve.

(Background on my experience with the "space" needle...I have ridden it one time and I was about 8)

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Can't compare us to Texas, they have 25 million people to pay for it, Oklahoma has only 3 million, in which Tulsa also has their own fair. The fairgrounds are a dump anyways and an eyesore on that part of town. The times and economic models are different and we either have to adapt or die. This isn't 1960 folks. Devon, Project 180, OKC Thunder, Grand Prix and other more modern forms of entertainment are the showcase to our bright future. Quit living in the past, the best days for OKC are ahead!
    Look at MN. That's one of the best state fairs in the country and the population isn't much more than Oklahoma (compared to Texas anyway). Anyone who has been to the MN state fair knows it's one of the best in the country.

How tall is the state fair needle?

23. Default Re: Where did our State Fair go?

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    I was told by a business what I posted and it was for an outside spot. Brian are your numbers per day or for the entire run?
    I finally got ahold of someone at the fair and the rates published are for the entire run of the fair. Meaning, you can get a 10x10 booth inside for an average of $800-$1,000 total. Some vendors (food primarily) pay a percentage of sales. This matches what my friend said she is paying to sell books in the Made in Oklahoma building ($900). The booths also come with two tickets for admission per day. Personally, I don't think that rate is bad.

Per The Oklahoman, July 5, 2005, it's 330 feet tall.

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    Look at MN. That's one of the best state fairs in the country and the population isn't much more than Oklahoma (compared to Texas anyway). Anyone who has been to the MN state fair knows it's one of the best in the country.
    Bad comparison. They have twice the population as the State of Oklahoma, and we have two fairs, the Tulsa people kind of do their own thing. Not to mention Minneapolis is sort of a regional hub. Omaha and Des Moines aren't too terribly far away. The Twin Cities also have a lot of wealth and Fortune 500 companies (corporate sponsorships) and high paying white collar jobs compared to OK.

Thread Information