Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Film Row General Thread

Default Re: Film Row General Thread

The small building on the NW corner of Sheridan & Shartel is being converted into a laundromat.

I believe it's been vacant for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The small building on the NW corner of Sheridan & Shartel is being converted into a laundromat.

I believe it's been vacant for a while.

Seems like odd choice. I would assume all of the apartments in this area have w/d or at least laundry rooms. Be curious to see the demographic they are going after and where it comes from. ( I am also assuming the homeless shelters in that area have a way for the local homeless to wash clothes but could be wrong)

A shame about that laundromat. Would have made a great Bail Bonds place.

With how set back that building is and how unremarkable it is, demolishing and a new building closer up to the street and sidewalk would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    With how set back that building is and how unremarkable it is, demolishing and a new building closer up to the street and sidewalk would be better.
    Yes, from this angle the building looks super tiny, however I can't tell how far back it goes down the block.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Yes, from this angle the building looks super tiny, however I can't tell how far back it goes down the block.
    Looking at the shadow, it's close to the same as the building next door.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Ok county assessor says it is 1,500 sqft

That remaining "house" at 617 W California is for sale. Basically paying for the lot as I'm sure the house isn't salvageable.

$875K.

Blog Entries

why do you put "house" in quotes? just wondering

looks like a house

they should move it instead of demoing it

Looks like Caelis sweets, eats, & bar is closing this week. This place actually had some pretty good food. I loved when they used to do the smoked BBQ out front in the summers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Looks like Caelis sweets, eats, & bar is closing this week. This place actually had some pretty good food. I loved when they used to do the smoked BBQ out front in the summers.
    That's a shame. Great use of that space.

Blog Entries

Was surprised they made it through the pandemic but sad to see them go. When they opened later pre-pandemic was hoping that would help traffic uptick, but then the pandemic came, though they got that popup patio thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Are they closing due to low traffic or something not business related? I thought they were good the handful of times I had them, granted I haven't been since before the pandemic started.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Are they closing due to low traffic or something not business related? I thought they were good the handful of times I had them, granted I haven't been since before the pandemic started.
    The food was great the few times I have eaten there but the menu was very limited Never made our rotation even though we were a block away.

15. Default Re: Film Row General Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    The food was great the few times I have eaten there but the menu was very limited Never made our rotation even though we were a block away.
    Same here.... I would look at their menu but just could never find anything that sounded like what I wanted.... Now they would occasionally have something on their FB page as a dinner special but I'm not usually still downtown for dinner.

And this may have just been a one off bad luck experience but the one day I did decide to walk over there. They had closed for lunch. There was a sign on the door saying they were closed but no estimated return time on it. So I ended up at Joey's.

16. Default Re: Film Row General Thread

Pete is there any update on the burger place the Arbolada guys are opening up on Film Row?

17. Default Re: Film Row General Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Pete is there any update on the burger place the Arbolada guys are opening up on Film Row?
    Or about the burger place that was supposed to be opening on the south side of Sheridan or Reno between Walker and Western?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    It's called Flycatcher Club and it's at 2nd & Klein next to Beer City Music Hall.

Riley told me early July, so should be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Or about the burger place that was supposed to be opening on the south side of Sheridan or Reno between Walker and Western?
    Sun Cattle.

I've been by there several times and after a flurry of activity, things have been moving very, very slowly.

I'll check in with Russ Johnson (Ludivine, R&J) and provide an update.

Sun Cattle.

I've been by there several times and after a flurry of activity, things have been moving very, very slowly.

I'll check in with Russ Johnson (Ludivine, R&J) and provide an update.
    Russ just texted back that most construction will be done next week, then the kitchen equipment will go in and they will open soon after.

Sounds like 3-4 weeks.

21. Default Re: Film Row General Thread

Russ just texted back that most construction will be done next week, then the kitchen equipment will go in and they will open soon after.

Sounds like 3-4 weeks.
    Thanks, Pete. It had been so since I'd heard any news about it that I forgot the name.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I've got to imagine it's got to be the low traffic. The majority of the employees in the Hart building have been working remote since March of 2020, as well as a large number of folks from the building just to the east. I went down to my work's office yesterday in Film Row and I was amazed at how dead the district felt. Maybe it was just yesterday, but it seems the pandemic really did a number on that area in terms of daytime traffic/business.

23. Default Re: Film Row General Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Maybe it was just yesterday, but it seems the pandemic really did a number on that area in terms of daytime traffic/business.
    It's still pretty slow.... I'm only at my office 2 days a week, at most, and I can't remember the last time I had to wait to pull out on to Main Street for an oncoming vehicle.

24. Default Re: Film Row General Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4024.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	18011

Saw this tonight on the Caelis location.

^

Yes, it's a deluxe sandwich shop (lobster rolls, panini, etc.) by the same operators of the soon-to-open Glamour.

I'll have more soon.

Thread Information