Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Brown's Bakery property

Default Re: Brown's Bakery

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    They might be a poorly capitalized, financially unsophisticated, blue collar business, but they provide a good enough product for a customer base that keeps them afloat.
    I find it hard to empathize with them when they've sat on wasted/unused property that has drastically increased in value over the past 10 years. If they want to stay in their building, that's fine by me. But the south building seems to be used solely for storing junk, and their adjoining parking lots are excessive. They could have easily sold some of that property and reinvested back into the business, but they've chosen not to.

I've thought that maybe they should try to strike a deal with Midtown Renaissance. Have MR build them out new space somewhere else in the area (maybe in the new development right across the street?), then sell this valuable space to MR once moved.

When I was down there for the Midtown Walkabout, I noticed that they had plywood covering some missing glass panes. Is that really the look you want to show off when you're hosting visitors in your parking lot?

Quote Originally Posted by CS_Mike View Post
    I find it hard to empathize with them when they've sat on wasted/unused property that has drastically increased in value over the past 10 years. If they want to stay in their building, that's fine by me. But the south building seems to be used solely for storing junk, and their adjoining parking lots are excessive. They could have easily sold some of that property and reinvested back into the business, but they've chosen not to.

I've thought that maybe they should try to strike a deal with Midtown Renaissance. Have MR build them out new space somewhere else in the area (maybe in the new development right across the street?), then sell this valuable space to MR once moved.

When I was down there for the Midtown Walkabout, I noticed that they had plywood covering some missing glass panes. Is that really the look you want to show off when you're hosting visitors in your parking lot?
    I wonder if they're the same broken windows referenced in the first post of the thread, 13 years ago. Or mentioned every few years thereafter. It's beyond ridiculous at this point if they have broken windows that stay boarded up for more than a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I wonder if they're the same broken windows referenced in the first post of the thread, 13 years ago. Or mentioned every few years thereafter. It's beyond ridiculous at this point if they have broken windows that stay boarded up for more than a few months.
    *cough* Devon tower *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    *cough* Devon tower *cough*
    Yep, I've lambasted them here for years too.

Greg Horton, on Twitter, says Brown's Bakery has announced it is permanently closing on July 8.

That's a bummer, but it sounds like the owner just decided to retire. Being able to close on your own terms after a 77-year run is about a good an ending as a business can get.

7. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

The Oklahoma Bicycle Society will be at a loss. They've had a donut ride on Saturday mornings to Brown's for as long as I can remember.

Damn. This makes me very sad. I will miss their sour cream donuts. Sad face, for real.

9. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    The Oklahoma Bicycle Society will be at a loss. They've had a donut ride on Saturday mornings to Brown's for as long as I can remember.
    My coworker who goes on the Donut ride said the next one was scheduled for July 15th. Maybe they can move it up a week or so.

KWTV reporting Brown's Jul 8 closing as well

There is a sign on the door stating the July 8th date.

I've never been there. Might have to go by there at least once before they close for good. With Ingrid's gone and now Brown's closing what kinds of bakeries like these are left?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Fortunately for them, there's another donut place within one block.

I'd love to see a new owner activate or build out the parking lot in front of the building.

15. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    My coworker who goes on the Donut ride said the next one was scheduled for July 15th. Maybe they can move it up a week or so.
    The Donut ride is every Saturday. Always has been. The next one will be June 24th.

16. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Fortunately for them, there's another donut place within one block.
    Won't be the same. Brown's is an OBS icon.

I had never been. Do they bake breads or rolls?

Will this likely be dozed and then redeveloped, or will they try to repurpose the bakery building?

19. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Will this likely be dozed and then redeveloped, or will they try to repurpose the bakery building?
    As many great memories I have from there I have to admit it's a poorly designed dump. And with zero architectural significance. I'm sure it will be dozed.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    hopefully dozed

Every time Craig Humphreys does his Sports Animal morning show from Johnson's of Kingfisher they always have Brown's Bakery in the house. I wonder who they are going to use now.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    hopefully dozed
    in my opinion, this building could be a real gem if brought back to its original state:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clydes.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	18083

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I've never been there. Might have to go by there at least once before they close for good. With Ingrid's gone and now Brown's closing what kinds of bakeries like these are left?
    Get there early enough to get the sour cream donuts before they sell out. In my opinion they are the best donuts in the city. I'm pretty crushed by this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    in my opinion, this building could be a real gem if brought back to its original state:
    While I agree it could be made to look great again, that might only make sense if you were to leave the parking lots undeveloped. Any improvements to the building might be significantly obscured if the lots were developed. I'd personally prefer to see it razed if it leads to a much larger development taking up the entire property, and I think this location is ideal for something with a larger presence.

Quote Originally Posted by CS_Mike View Post
    While I agree it could be made to look great again, that might only make sense if you were to leave the parking lots undeveloped. Any improvements to the building might be significantly obscured if the lots were developed. I'd personally prefer to see it razed if it leads to a much larger development taking up the entire property, and I think this location is ideal for something with a larger presence.
    this was my thought as well

Thread Information