Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Brown's Bakery property

1. Default Re: Fassler Hall / Dust Bowl

I don't want to represent that I know a lot about it. My info is second-hand, and I don't want to violate confidences. Maybe I've said too much already. Based on what I heard it is going to be in good hands, and that is all I feel comfortable sharing. That said, the person was correct regarding Michael Brown's illness, which was mentioned to me some time ago. None of the changes involved the noted architect, though that doesn't mean he absolutely is not involved. You're right about being him being a loyal, near-daily visitor though.

I just want to throw in my two cents: Michael Brown managed to keep a longtime family business running despite a depressed downtown and neighborhood for many, many years. He and his bakery remained an asset to downtown when most had abandoned it, and while I agree that the place had become dated I don't think he necessarily had tons of financial resources to throw into the place, which I don't think we can fault him for. Not everyone is a millionaire, myself included. I'm glad he stayed here during tougher times, and wish him well on his next journey.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fassler Hall / Dust Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I don't want to represent that I know a lot about it. My info is second-hand, and I don't want to violate confidences. Maybe I've said too much already. Based on what I heard it is going to be in good hands, and that is all I feel comfortable sharing. That said, the person was correct regarding Michael Brown's illness, which was mentioned to me some time ago. None of the changes involved the noted architect, though that doesn't mean he absolutely is not involved. You're right about being him being a loyal, near-daily visitor though.

I just want to throw in my two cents: Michael Brown managed to keep a longtime family business running despite a depressed downtown and neighborhood for many, many years. He and his bakery remained an asset to downtown when most had abandoned it, and while I agree that the place had become dated I don't think he necessarily had tons of financial resources to throw into the place, which I don't think we can fault him for. Not everyone is a millionaire, myself included. I'm glad he stayed here during tougher times, and wish him well on his next journey.
    Sometimes people on this board get very harsh and judgmental about people and circumstances which they know nothing of. It is really easy to get disparaged on this site. It seems like it is usually from those who haven't had to own, build or run a business on their own and relied on profit to keep it going. People often assume if you own a business you must have plenty of money. The case you describe is a familiar one to many small business owners. They make money to survive and maybe grow, but have to invest it in survival in the down times. Sprucing up or building a new building to be "cool" isn't always an option. We should be grateful and patient, understanding that they stayed loyal to downtown when it wasn't easy and most left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Sometimes people on this board get very harsh and judgmental about people and circumstances which they know nothing of. It is really easy to get disparaged on this site. It seems like it is usually from those who haven't had to own, build or run a business on their own and relied on profit to keep it going. People often assume if you own a business you must have plenty of money. The case you describe is a familiar one to many small business owners. They make money to survive and maybe grow, but have to invest it in survival in the down times. Sprucing up or building a new building to be "cool" isn't always an option. We should be grateful and patient, understanding that they stayed loyal to downtown when it wasn't easy and most left.
    As a small business and a small personal property owner, I know what your trying to say but don't necessarily agree in principle. Some SMB's choose to make more sacrifices to pass on as "investment" dollars back in the business and most SMB's choose not to. I eat PBJ's and sack lunches most days and have downsized our home so there is cash to re-invest back in my SMB because I know it will pay dividends in the future. Most companies that invest back in themselves communicate the additional value to the consumer, thus they are able to charge a more profitable price for it. It's kind of a catch 22. If you don't invest enough back in the business, don't wonder why your business is going downhill over time, but at the same time, one might not have "free" cash to invest, so one must get creative and either increase revenue or decrease expenses, or both.

You can get a .75 cent donut at Browns or a $3.50 cent donut or Joenut at Kitchen 324. One brand chose to invest more in themselves vs. the other. Sure GEG has more capital at this point in time for their newest concept, but they started at zero and chose early on to reinvest back in the business.
    Last edited by metro; 11-05-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added an example of communicated value

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    As a small business and a small personal property owner, I know what your trying to say but don't necessarily agree in principle. Some SMB's choose to make more sacrifices to pass on as "investment" dollars back in the business and most SMB's choose not to. I eat PBJ's and sack lunches most days and have downsized our home so there is cash to re-invest back in my SMB because I know it will pay dividends in the future. Most companies that invest back in themselves communicate the additional value to the consumer, thus they are able to charge a more profitable price for it. It's kind of a catch 22. If you don't invest enough back in the business, don't wonder why your business is going downhill over time, but at the same time, one might not have "free" cash to invest, so one must get creative and either increase revenue or decrease expenses, or both.

You can get a .75 cent donut at Browns or a $3.50 cent donut or Joenut at Kitchen 324. One brand chose to invest more in themselves vs. the other. Sure GEG has more capital at this point in time for their newest concept, but they started at zero and chose early on to reinvest back in the business.
    Wahoo! Cameo appearance!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Brown's Bakery

I just think they should be given some credit for sticking out some rough times in downtown OKC. I expect they did all those PBJ dinners to be able to survive. (Okay, maybe donuts, peanut butter and jelly)

mmmm ... PB and Jelly doughnut .....

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    True. And you yourself have been guilty of making harsh and judgmental comments at times as well.

What an opportunity for Brown's bakery with all that is going on around them they have the chance of a lifetime to turn this place into a real gem for downtown/midtown residents and workers. I hope that either they or someone else figures this out very soon. it is in real need of repair and a good cleaning from top to bottom. They still make some of the best goodies around it's time to take it to the next level.

Midtown Re: Brown's Bakery

Interesting comments in this thread. I live in Kansas city but still have a house in Mesta Park and in SOSA. I plan on returning when I retire(5 years or so). I frequented Browns the whole time I lived in OKC and really liked it(especially their King Cakes for Mardi Gras). Their building looks like it was originally a 1960's Safeway Supermarket and I think it would be great if it could be restored to that period finish and purpose again(A market is needed in the area as everyone knows). Of course I would like to see Browns relocated nearby in another more appropriate building.

Just a pipe dream......................

I recently ran into the owners sister and she said they're in the midst of a "remodel" and had the entire staff quit one day out of the blue, so now their family is working with some missionaries, and they seem to be doing a good job. She told me she looked at yelp and say the bad reviews and wants to do something about it.

I informed her about Steve Lackmeyer's article about her uncles death and she was very interested about it. An interview would be awesome if it could be put together to find out the future of Brown's.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I recently ran into the owners sister and she said they're in the midst of a "remodel" and had the entire staff quit one day out of the blue, so now their family is working with some missionaries, and they seem to be doing a good job. She told me she looked at yelp and say the bad reviews and wants to do something about it.

I informed her about Steve Lackmeyer's article about her uncles death and she was very interested about it. An interview would be awesome if it could be put together to find out the future of Brown's.
    They needed all of those people to quit they were absolutely terrible and rude. The guy that does all the baking was about the only one that was left.. They still have some of the best goodies in the city, I hope they get their act together

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    They needed all of those people to quit they were absolutely terrible and rude. The guy that does all the baking was about the only one that was left.. They still have some of the best goodies in the city, I hope they get their act together
    The girls at the front counter were always rude - I no longer feel like I'm a bother when I stop in on Saturday mornings. It's a welcome change.

13. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

Interesting. I might have to give them another shot.

My office is literally a stone's throw away from Brown's, but I probably have only been in there once or twice in the last couple of years. I used to go quite often, but I started to notice the lighting in the building getting darker and darker...the light bulbs were going out slowly and weren't being replaced! If they couldn't be bothered to at least keeps the lights on, I couldn't imagine the corners being cut in the kitchen! So I stopped going.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    The girls at the front counter were always rude - I no longer feel like I'm a bother when I stop in on Saturday mornings. It's a welcome change.
    Based on the few times I have been back since the light bulb incident, I completely agree. I'm glad it has changed. I miss the sausage rolls...

I've noticed some small changes, as well, but have to disagree they have some of the best goodies in the city. I used to pop by from time to time on the way back from a lunch to grab a cookie or two. Often, they're made in batches several days in advance, and one too many times I've gone in and found the product stale, tasteless and just blah.

It's a great space with a lot of potential. I'd love to see someone put in a proper coffee shop/cafe/bakery in there to really get the place going. It just doesn't seem like the family has much impetus to do that. Sadly, I believe they've experienced several deaths over the past 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    I've noticed some small changes, as well, but have to disagree they have some of the best goodies in the city. I used to pop by from time to time on the way back from a lunch to grab a cookie or two. Often, they're made in batches several days in advance, and one too many times I've gone in and found the product stale, tasteless and just blah.

It's a great space with a lot of potential. I'd love to see someone put in a proper coffee shop/cafe/bakery in there to really get the place going. It just doesn't seem like the family has much impetus to do that. Sadly, I believe they've experienced several deaths over the past 2-3 years.
    They have. My wife stopped in a couple weeks ago and talked with the operators for a bit while our daughter ate her doughnut. She commented on how good the paint looked, and he said "just wait, this is just the beginning."

The stuff we get still tastes great, but we generally stick to doughnuts and sausage rolls.

16. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

OMG Browns sausage rolls...

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    I agree

tried to go by there this morning but the parking lot was closed off. Is it closing? or they taking a break b/c of all the construction around the location?

My wife picked up something yesterday morning from Brown's. Not sure why they were closed when you were there.

20. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

Hoping they weather the streetcar construction. The building of the traffic circle a few years ago hit them very hard at the time.

They announced on Facebook that they are closing until 9/9 for repairs.

A car drove through their storefront.

The still have broken windows on the south end as well as grafiti. Been there for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They announced on Facebook that they are closing until 9/9 for repairs.

A car drove through their storefront.

The still have broken windows on the south end as well as grafiti. Been there for years.
    Drunk driver or robbery?
    this happened to stella nova on western a few months back as well weird

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Drunk driver or robbery?
    this happened to stella nova on western a few months back as well weird
    Someone just hit the accelerator instead of the brake when pulling into a space in front of the building.

Growing up, my family owned a home that backed up to NW 63rd. We had at least 3 cars plow through our yard; 2 went into our swimming pool.

The Brown's Bakery building and land is up for sale for $3.5 million.

You have to think the Midtown Renaissance guys would be all over this, as they own everything else in the area. Probably trying to get them down on price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Brown's Bakery building and land is up for sale for $3.5 million.

You have to think the Midtown Renaissance guys would be all over this, as they own everything else in the area. Probably trying to get them down on price.
    that would be great news ..

Thread Information