Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brown's Bakery property

1. Default Re: Should Brown's Bakery get a free pass on property maintenance?

I'm actually with Metro on this one. I go to the Midtown Y 2-3x a week, 1492 at least 2x a month and Midtown Deli 1x a month and the antique store across the street from Brown's 2-3x a month. And, yes, Brown's is certainly the most neglected property on the Plaza circle. I don't know if it bothers me enough I'd ever complain, but they are definitely not being the best neighbor they could be.

Another building I hate to see in disrepair is the tall building directly East of 1492. The building itself is somewhat kept up (broken windows usually get fixed within a few months) but the parking garage is a mess.

Default Re: Should Brown's Bakery get a free pass on property maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I don't think its a matter of the city giving Brown's a 'Free Pass' ~ I think its more of the reality that city inspectors place priority on individual complaint calls. I've spoke to a couple of city inspectors in the past regarding the 'broken windows' theory on community policing etc. and wondered why one address gets the attention of the city and another does not. Each time they repeat the same thing "we respond to complaints." Occasionally the city will decide to concentrate on an entire area, otherwise it appears they are simply dispatched to investigate calls from citizens.

We have a humorous situation in our neighborhood. There is this (in my opinion very worthless) felon a block over that uses a house that he doesn't live in as his mechanic's garage to work on cars all day long. One of his neighbors could not get the city to do anything about fact he was using this non commercial property for commercial use so they began reporting him for parking four cars in his driveway and thus the last two would block the sidewalk. The city ticketed him twice and forced him to move the other two cars out of the neighborhood. One day he was yelling at the inspector because the neighbors on either side of him block their sidewalks too. The inspector just shrugged his shoulders and said "nobody has called complaining about them, just about you."

So, I guess if the condition of Brown's really bothers you enough, I'd call the city and make a complaint. You can ask them to follow up with you and they will mail you a summary of what (if anything) they did upon inspecting the property. You can also call and give them an address and they will give you a call history on that address.
    I have and do it frequently to neglected properties. There is a house on NW 9th and Francis with holes in the roof and side of the house, no reason why it shouldn't be condemned. Reported it a dozen or more times to the City Action Center over the last 4 years and each time I get a letter back of "no violation" or states they are working with the property owner, etc. Nothing ever gets done. The City Action center and inspection dept. is a joke. At one time a few years ago, it was very good though. I've done the same for Brown's, nothing get's done.

Maybe someone has an answer to this. Why doesn't the city have more code enforcement officers? It would seem this could be an area for the city to generate more income. Does code enforcement actually generate income with fees and fines, or do they operate at a loss?

And I will agree that Brown's should do a better job at keeping up their building, although I don't think it is to the point that I would call the
    City to complain, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    And you sir are certainly part of the entertainment!
    Hmmm. I guess I "have" been. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's a close community, you could say.
    Its the biggest small community I have ever been a part of. That's for sure.

Regarding Brown's.... I don't understand the lack of maintenance and then again I do. As a small business owner, aesthetics sometime take a backseat to other bills. And then sometimes, people are oblivious to what other people see. Ms. Brown has been an influential part of why Midtown has gained traction however. That should not be overlooked.

7. Default Re: Should Brown's Bakery get a free pass on property maintenance?

To be honest, other than the broken windows and the hanging electrical cabling, the place looks like the run of the mill mom and pop joint. "atmosphere" is a good description. Sometimes the places that look like you need a shot just to walk in the joint are the places with the best food....hello Meers Burgers....

I think the place could definitely use some sprucing up, but I could find any number of places that are far worse to pick on.

I would like for Browns to be open 24 hours 7 days a week. There's nothing like fresh doughnuts at 3:00am, after party type of snacks.

Has anyone seen the Food Network special on best doughnut shoppes?

There's a place in Portland called Voodoo Doughnuts, 24 hours. It's like a party place with the craziest doughnuts ever imagined.

http://www.voodoodoughnut.com/about.php

I know I started the thread, and as I initially mentioned it'd be controversial because it is Browns, but heck, I'd just settle to paint over the gang graffiti and replace the broken windows. I understand the urban grit and some of that is it's charm, although a clean bakery would be nice.... The place has sooooo much potential, especially being on that prime piece of land. There are more broken out windows than I posted pictures of. Even in the main building. It appears they don't do anything besides store old useless junk in the "south wing", be nice if they'd fix it up and rent it out to more retailers.

My wife and I purchased our wedding cakes from Brown's 20 years ago and the building was an eyesore back then. Virtually no maintenance, faded paint and trash everywhere but at the time it was one of the supposedly better businesses from which to purchase pastries and cakes. One of the big differences then was the whole area was basically a depressing eyesore. While the area has changed; Brown's hasn't. Seems as though there would be some type of association of local business owners and St. Anthony's to encourage a standard of aesthetics, cleanliness, signage, etc. among all the businesses. Brown's either "doesn't get it, or doesn't care" much like the fellow who owns the restaurant supply business on 23rd.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    ... but heck, I'd just settle to paint over the gang graffiti and replace the broken windows. I understand the urban grit and some of that is it's charm ...
    Metro - I'm reminded of the thread you recently started on the "Famous Graffiti Artist." If he tags Brown's Bakery with his "art," wouldn't that give it the "charm" you're after? http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=22852 I'm not needling you as much as others who find one person's graffiti to be art, and another person's graffiti to be blight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo1 View Post
    My wife and I purchased our wedding cakes from Brown's 20 years ago and the building was an eyesore back then. Virtually no maintenance, faded paint and trash everywhere but at the time it was one of the supposedly better businesses from which to purchase pastries and cakes. One of the big differences then was the whole area was basically a depressing eyesore. While the area has changed; Brown's hasn't. Seems as though there would be some type of association of local business owners and St. Anthony's to encourage a standard of aesthetics, cleanliness, signage, etc. among all the businesses. Brown's either "doesn't get it, or doesn't care" much like the fellow who owns the restaurant supply business on 23rd.
    Not every place can or should be Edmond. Midtown is not some beautiful Mecca of well-landscaped buildings. Heck, at that intersection, Brown's isn't even the biggest eyesore.

The whole area is full of old buildings sitting empty and rotting and empty lots. Give those things your attention before attacking a business which stayed in Midtown even when it probably didn't make great business sense to remain there.

They could wash the windows and move the curtain cornice up to the top of the windows instead of trying to pretend they're cafe curtains. They coulod put out flower pots. They could do something.

Not an attack Midtowner. Simply saying business / property owners have a choice to either keep their structures clean and repaired...or not. Clean, neat and tidy I believe is far preferable to the alternative. Again, the only conclusion to draw is they either don't get it or don't care. BTW, which one was I "attacking" Brown's or the restaurant supply?

Steve has hinted at some future news that could affect Browns. I'm hoping it is that they will be open 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Metro - I'm reminded of the thread you recently started on the "Famous Graffiti Artist." If he tags Brown's Bakery with his "art," wouldn't that give it the "charm" you're after? http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=22852 I'm not needling you as much as others who find one person's graffiti to be art, and another person's graffiti to be blight.
    I wasn't "praising" the graffitti, either, merely copied and pasted an article. I don't like it, but at least it's not gang graffitti, which IMO is worse and I assume you're competent enough to know that wasn't the point of this thread, but rather the overall continued lack of maintenance that is Brown's Bakery.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Not every place can or should be Edmond. Midtown is not some beautiful Mecca of well-landscaped buildings. Heck, at that intersection, Brown's isn't even the biggest eyesore.

The whole area is full of old buildings sitting empty and rotting and empty lots. Give those things your attention before attacking a business which stayed in Midtown even when it probably didn't make great business sense to remain there.
    Mid, usually we agree, but what building is in worse condition at that intersection, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Mid, usually we agree, but what building is in worse condition at that intersection, seriously?
    The property across the street to the south isn't in any better shape.

Metro - Don't take it as a shot, it wasn't intended to be. I own several commercial properties, one of which is tagged regularly and painted over promptly.

19. Default Re: Should Brown's Bakery get a free pass on property maintenance?

I wouldn't say that they either don't "get it' or they "don't care." It's tough economically right now. They've had to raise their prices significantly to keep up with raising food prices. We used to get donated donuts for our newspaper program (3 or 4 years) but they cut us off early this last spring, without much explanation. I think maybe times are just tough and it's either keep the business going or pay for costly repairs. It's not always possible to do both. It's a big building, but a small business.
    Still corrupting young minds

bandnerd, but it seems as if it's not a recent problem, the neglect has been ongoing reportedly up to the last 2 decades. There are two types of business owners, ones that reinvest back in the business, and ones that don't. I've gone to Browns for years, the broken windows, graffitti, water stains, have been there as long as I can remember. Anyhow I achieved my point of creating this thread for discussion on the topic and am glad we are getting a healthy discussion going on.

Mid, I disagree about the "building to the south", it's more upkept than Browns, and I believe is full of tenants. No broken windows that I can see, no graffitti, no water stains or flaking paint.

21. Default Re: Should Brown's Bakery get a free pass on property maintenance?

I made a point to pay particular attention to the Brown location and surrounding structures yesterday when the wife and I went to the Midtown Y. I never paid much attention to it, but yes, the South end particularly of Brown's is a very sad and dilapidated sight. The only building I saw to the South of their property was the one with the antique store. I don't really see a comparison at all. That property appears to be kept up.

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    I wouldn't say that they either don't "get it' or they "don't care." It's tough economically right now. They've had to raise their prices significantly to keep up with raising food prices. We used to get donated donuts for our newspaper program (3 or 4 years) but they cut us off early this last spring, without much explanation. I think maybe times are just tough and it's either keep the business going or pay for costly repairs. It's not always possible to do both. It's a big building, but a small business.
    No, it's really not that small of a business. Brown's is pretty well-known, and does very good business. Prairie Thunder has an immaculate space and doesn't do nearly the business that Brown's does across the street.

23. Default Re: Should Brown's Bakery get a free pass on property maintenance?

I've stayed away from this because the topic really doesn't excite me all that much ... any more than Browns Bakery itself does. Besides that, anything I'd have to say would be negative, and I'm not generally inclined to knock a neighborhood member of mine, like Browns is (living north of the store on NW 19th). At best, I think that Browns bakery products are average, if that. My wife has purchased some cakes for birthday, etc., parties there that I will just not eat ... and I like cake. White cake always seems to work for Browns, but not the brown varieties. But that's not the point of this thread.

Browns has been pretty crummy looking as a building for as long as I can remember, and I've lived north of that location since 1983 in two different residences, both on NW 19th, as I said. That's 27 years. I've yet to see the bakery invest a nickle in the building's exterior or interior appearance. Their reputation (why it is deserved as a bakery, I don't know) apparently gives them the income they require and the company feels no need to invest in its structure and interior facilities. And I'm not talking about graffiti cleanup -- I'm just talking generally. It's kind of like a residence that needs a lot of work ... particularly noticeable after a resurgence in a neighborhood community -- but one that refuses to paint, mow its lawn until required, etc. It always looks run down and scruffy even if it is a step ahead of code enforcement. I don't see Brown's as a good neighbor in those respects.

It would be thrilling to see Browns have a change of perspective. And whether there is any basis in Steve's tease or not, as I said, Brown's non-maintenance is not anything new, not even close to new. So, the possibility that Browns might be saving its money for a larger investment down the line rings hollow to me ... if that's the case, they've been saving for at least 27 years that I'm aware of and quite likely more than that before I moved into the general neighborhood.

I've said my negative piece and now I'm done.

Seems to me Brown's Bakery was somewhere else when I was young or have I totally misplaced the memory?

That building they're in now was some kind of grocery store I think and hasn't changed much as long as I can remember. Or maybe that's an erroneous memory, too.

25. Default Re: Should Brown's Bakery get a free pass on property maintenance?

I think you are right about the grocery, flinty, but I don't remember which one. Was it a Humpty Dumpty?

Thread Information