Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Brown's Bakery property

Default Re: Brown's Bakery

They have cleaned up the south building as well and it looks like the plans are to restore it and the original grocery store structure.

I assume the north building is too small to work as an actual grocery store again? Looks like it’s about half the size of the TJ’s in NH Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_Chipper View Post
    I assume the north building is too small to work as an actual grocery store again? Looks like it’s about half the size of the TJ’s in NH Plaza.
    The old Brown's building is only 5,600 square feet. Trader Joe's in Nichols Hills Plaza is over 14,000 SF.

So, this space is far too small for any current grocer. Even the average Aldi is around 22,000 SF.

oh my goodness... that's already such a huge improvement on the exterior.

I recall the south building was a TG&Y way back in the 60s-70s?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    oh my goodness... that's already such a huge improvement on the exterior.
    yep already a massive improvement

I'm guessing this will be some type of restaurant/diner thing then. Which will be super cool, but I really was hoping for massing up to the corner with some type of apartments.

Side note, the sunset going to be sunning into that place big time. They should just call this the actual sunset patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I'm guessing this will be some type of restaurant/diner thing then. Which will be super cool, but I really was hoping for massing up to the corner with some type of apartments.

Side note, the sunset going to be sunning into that place big time. They should just call this the actual sunset patio.
    I get wanting apartments (more are needed in Midtown), but I think there would be an uproar tearing down Brown's Bakery.

Maybe by ten people.
    We are in OKC so we can bulldoze anything we want !

Plus, I do not see the attraction in this building although it already looks much better.

10. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

That parking lot desperately needs to be replaced by a new building. That intersection is to important to be bordered by a surface parking lot. The problem is that the existing buildings are orientated towards the parking lot and not the street. Any new development on the parking lot would block the best architectural details of the Brown's Bakery building and leave a blank wall along Park Place as the primary street interaction. I'm sure it can be done correctly, but it sure makes it more difficult to activate that parking lot in the future.

They will probably install blinds like the ones at Harvey Bakery:

Would be a great spot for a DGX like in downtown Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
    That parking lot desperately needs to be replaced by a new building. That intersection is to important to be bordered by a surface parking lot. The problem is that the existing buildings are orientated towards the parking lot and not the street. Any new development on the parking lot would block the best architectural details of the Brown's Bakery building and leave a blank wall along Park Place as the primary street interaction. I'm sure it can be done correctly, but it sure makes it more difficult to activate that parking lot in the future.
    also can’t afford to bulldoze another lot in midtown then see it sit empty for an undetermined amount of time. Renovating this and using it at least until other lots in midtown are developed is the right move.

Hope they use the south building as well unless they plan to tear it down and immediately replace it. Cool things have been done with even more nondescript buildings (see ludevine/R&J, kongs/sushi moto, the grove, sunset patio bar, Tamashi, etc)

They wouldn't be cleaning up the buildings if they planned to bulldoze them.

They could easily add patios or a plaza in front of the property.

15. Default Re: Brown's Bakery

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    also can’t afford to bulldoze another lot in midtown then see it sit empty for an undetermined amount of time. Renovating this and using it at least until other lots in midtown are developed is the right move.

Hope they use the south building as well unless they plan to tear it down and immediately replace it. Cool things have been done with even more nondescript buildings (see ludevine/R&J, kongs/sushi moto, the grove, sunset patio bar, Tamashi, etc)
    I agree completely. I'm glad they are saving Brown's building and think the south building has potential as well. I especially like the little store front the pokes out along 10th. It is just going to take a little more effort to redevelop the parking lot in the future because of the orientation of the buildings. It wont be impossible. In the meantime we will see 2 buildings come back to life which is a great thing.

Could the blue area become an apartment with commercial space on the ground level while the red would be a plaza with an art sculpture, maybe some sort of water feature? Keep the old building, build a new building next door. Add a pulic plaza with seating for the businesses on the ground level Attachment 18351
    Attachment 18352 Attachment 18353 Attachment 18354

midtownR confirmed on Facebook that they acquired this property

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    midtownR confirmed on Facebook that they acquired this property
    For some strange reason, the sale has yet to be posted to the county assessor site.

Default Re: Brown's Bakery property

Could the blue area become an apartment with commercial space on the ground level while the red would be a plaza with an art sculpture, maybe some sort of water feature? Keep the old building, build a new building next door. Add a pulic plaza with seating for the businesses on the ground level

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	browns100423f.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	608.4 KB 
ID:	18355

Name:	1543_BUILDING_ELEVATION___PROW_FINAL_Reduced.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	18356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1543_BUILDING_ELEVATION___SIDEWALK_CAFE_FINAL_Reduced.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	18357

Name:	ae11c5fe0331dc20ca22377d2202dd9fa9574256.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	18358

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    Could the blue area become an apartment with commercial space on the ground level while the red would be a plaza with an art sculpture, maybe some sort of water feature? Keep the old building, build a new building next door. Add a pulic plaza with seating for the businesses on the ground level

Name:	browns100423f.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	608.4 KB 
ID:	18355

Name:	1543_BUILDING_ELEVATION___PROW_FINAL_Reduced.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	18356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1543_BUILDING_ELEVATION___SIDEWALK_CAFE_FINAL_Reduced.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	18357

Name:	ae11c5fe0331dc20ca22377d2202dd9fa9574256.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	18358
    Yep. That would be great. All it takes is money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Cain's Ballroom West?

About 30% smaller, though.

Call it Sunset Grill. We could watch the working girls go by. Watch the basket people walk around and mumble. Gaze out at the auburn sky. Maybe we'll leave come springtime. Meanwhile, have another beer. What would we do without all these jerks anyway?

It's cool how the big windows are in the back (east end) as well.

Those HVAC ducts are likely to come down as they were installed along with the old retrofitted drop ceiling. Some of the duct work has already been removed.

You can see they're in the process of landscaping the perimeter. Have already pulled out the grass, trimmed the two trees and planted some several more.

It seems their plan is to continue cleaning up and restoring and then will probably redo the parking lot and lease out the space.

25. Default Re: Brown's Bakery property

From Brown's Bakery's Facebook:

It is with a heavy heart that we post today the passing of Mr Bill Brown owner and operator of our family business. He was 89 years old.
    He choose to be cremated so his Memorial service will be Saturday Dec 2 nd at 1:00 pm at the Northwest Church of Christ
    4301 NW 23rd St
    Oklahoma City, OK 73107
    The Visitation will be at Buchanan’s funeral home Friday Dec 1st 1-8pm
    8712 N Council Rd
    Oklahoma City, OK 73132
    All are welcome.
    We thank all our family, friends ,and customers for your support through the years.

Thread Information