Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tulsa: bidding for Olympic Summer Games 2024.

Default Re: Tulsa Bidding for 2024 Olympic Games?

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post

I guess I should re-characterize my desire. I think it would be cool if we were actually in a position to be able to compete. That said, if we do, I think it would be a creative solution the CC discussion to use those funds in some way. 300M is a significant downpayment toward what the City of OKC would be expected to generate.

Do I think it will happen? No, not really. But I think Tulsa has a snowball's chance in hell. And people are talking about it. So...
    I think i agree 100% with your creative solution for the CC discussion. That's why i think if we really were to go for a Pan-America games (not sure if the 2019 or 2023 games have been awarded yet), it is something that really could help the city, and something that we could totally support.

I think the same for Tulsa. instead of going for the Olympics to get the World Appeal, why not go for something that might be possible to get, and would be much more manageable event. the olympics has some 10,000 participants, Pan-American Games has roughly half as many, and still brings a lot of attention to your city.

While i think even the Pan American Games is a far reach for Tulsa, it is something that they honestly could manage to get and do well. And i think it is something that both OKC and Tulsa should honestly look at. Making a bid at the Olympics is ludicrous for either city, but there are events out there that would bring in thousands of visitors and be something great for the city. So why not go for those! I'm all about dreaming big, but in those big dreams, make them something that can also be a reality.

Ha, I guess us hosting the rowing & kayaking is no longer something on the table for this crazy idea (an earlier version of the plan had it at the boathouse foundation).

3. Default Re: Tulsa Bidding for 2024 Olympic Games?

Here is the other thread we had on it: http://www.okctalk.com/current-event...sa-2024-a.html

Perhaps Pete can merge the two and put it here.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Here is the other thread we had on it: http://www.okctalk.com/current-event...sa-2024-a.html

Perhaps Pete can merge the two and put it here.
    Sorry - I didn't realize that we had multiple threads on this already. Maybe I'll have coffee for lunch.

Infrastructure is not the only thing they lack. I say dream big but dreaming for the sky when you can barely walk, reality needs to come calling.

Default Re: Tulsa: bidding for Olympic Summer Games 2024.

threads merged... -M

Default Re: Tulsa: bidding for Olympic Summer Games 2024.

Even the Mayor and Sports Commisioner have said no. The SC said that Tulsa looks for events they can host and are a good fit. The Olympics are not either.

Thread Information