Widgets Magazine
Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1299

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post

2. Replacement of Cate Center with residential halls - after the dorm towers are replaced
    4. Replacement of GL Cross with a new life sciences building
    5. New parking garage and major renovations at Dale Hall
    these 3 are not currently on the long term capital Master Plan

the tower replacement will start with Adams in the next 4 years ..

the West football deck will be a ways out ..

the softball stadium should break ground within the next year

the baseball improvements should also start within the next year ..

basketball ??????? big big question ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    these 3 are not currently on the long term capital Master Plan

the tower replacement will start with Adams in the next 4 years ..

the West football deck will be a ways out ..

the softball stadium should break ground within the next year

the baseball improvements should also start within the next year ..

basketball ??????? big big question ..
    Correct but they are on the list of buildings that need major upgrades and/or replacements from OU A&E. A new life sciences complex to replace GL Cross and an updated Dale Hall (possibly a replacement building with major interior/exterior renovations to Dale Hall Tower) plus a new parking structure on Elm would be the last major capital projects for awhile on the South Oval. That combined with the new student housing neighborhood planned for south of Lindsey will really transform that whole part of campus.

I still think they need to look at what UT did with the Moody Arena and move basketball back to campus on the Duck Pond lots with the entrance facing the quadrangle at Brooks & Jenkins.

Correct but they are on the list of buildings that need major upgrades and/or replacements from OU A&E. A new life sciences complex to replace GL Cross and an updated Dale Hall (possibly a replacement building with major interior/exterior renovations to Dale Hall Tower) plus a new parking structure on Elm would be the last major capital projects for awhile on the South Oval. That combined with the new student housing neighborhood planned for south of Lindsey will really transform that whole part of campus.

I still think they need to look at what UT did with the Moody Arena and move basketball back to campus on the Duck Pond lots with the entrance facing the quadrangle at Brooks & Jenkins.
    Can't really compare OU and UT. UT is Goliath, and likely one of the 5 largest public schools in the country, and can print money (hence why buying out coaches is nothing for them). OU is not. So they have to be way more selective with with capital projects.

basketball is currently on campus

HangryHippo Guest

basketball is currently on campus
    Doesn’t feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Doesn’t feel like it.
    It really doesn't. The problem is that OU has invested a lot in the practice facilities attached to Lloyd Noble. I've pitched it before, but what if OU developed the exterior of the giant parking lot surrounding Lloyd Noble with mixed use student housing, hotel, entertainment, etc? In short, turn this area into a dense, walkable southern extension of campus that also serves the research part to the east (which could be made more dense, walkable over time too). Run 15 or 30 minute shuttles from here to the heart of campus.

7. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    It really doesn't. The problem is that OU has invested a lot in the practice facilities attached to Lloyd Noble. I've pitched it before, but what if OU developed the exterior of the giant parking lot surrounding Lloyd Noble with mixed use student housing, hotel, entertainment, etc? In short, turn this area into a dense, walkable southern extension of campus that also serves the research part to the east (which could be made more dense, walkable over time too). Run 15 or 30 minute shuttles from here to the heart of campus.
    You would have to pry that free parking from the students hands!

I like the idea of turning that whole area into a mixed-use neighborhood but without LNC. Tear it all down and build out the whole property like what they are doing at Wheeler Park with mostly residential but also some things like a brewery and restaurant mixed-in. You could also tie it into more research park development across Jenkins. This is Oklahoma’s version of Research Triangle Park.

Then for the basketball arena build a smaller venue on campus with the practice facilities and maybe even a conference center/hotel on Jenkins between Brooks and Lindsey. Perfect spot with surface parking to the east and existing garage parking at the stadium to the west. Students can easily walk from all of the new housing OU has and will build along Lindsey and fans can eat/drink at Campus Corner before/after games. Once Norman has commuter rail there could even be a stop right next to it at Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I don't think they have funding in place for any of it, although the dorms probably could be done by revenue bonds.

Another one on the list is the new softball stadium and a major redo for the baseball stadium. And they still have to do something with Lloyd Noble.
    Pete, I was talking to a friend who has some indirect connections to OU and claimed some big announcement was coming tomorrow., but wasn't clear exactly what. You hear of any rumblings in that vein? Possibly a formal softball stadium announcement?

They've had some pretty conspicuous donations to the athletic department in the last few months, so I'm making a jump in inferring the announcement is athletic-related. I suppose it could also include some stadium master plan updates for the west deck, but that's such an expensive project, I figure that's still years down the road....

Just wondering if you'd heard anything...

I like the idea of turning that whole area into a mixed-use neighborhood but without LNC. Tear it all down and build out the whole property like what they are doing at Wheeler Park with mostly residential but also some things like a brewery and restaurant mixed-in. You could also tie it into more research park development across Jenkins. This is Oklahoma’s version of Research Triangle Park.

Then for the basketball arena build a smaller venue on campus with the practice facilities and maybe even a conference center/hotel on Jenkins between Brooks and Lindsey. Perfect spot with surface parking to the east and existing garage parking at the stadium to the west. Students can easily walk from all of the new housing OU has and will build along Lindsey and fans can eat/drink at Campus Corner before/after games. Once Norman has commuter rail there could even be a stop right next to it at Brooks.
    Yes, I like this plan, but it means tearing down brand new, multimillion dollar facilities. I just don’t see that happening. Maybe they could keep the practice gym/training facility and tear down the arena?

Yes, I like this plan, but it means tearing down brand new, multimillion dollar facilities. I just don’t see that happening. Maybe they could keep the practice gym/training facility and tear down the arena?
    Maybe repurpose into a rec center or school in the middle of the neighborhood

There is a great piece of university owned land south of the Duck Pond (Lindsey) where those old apartments used to be that would be great for a new arena.

Agree on the LNC though. That place has to be one of the most uninspiring venues in college basketball. Make it walkable from the main housing areas on campus and it should really help student attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    There is a great piece of university owned land south of the Duck Pond (Lindsey) where those old apartments used to be that would be great for a new arena.

Agree on the LNC though. That place has to be one of the most uninspiring venues in college basketball. Make it walkable from the main housing areas on campus and it should really help student attendance.
    that would be an interesting location .. but man traffic would be terrible .. and it still would not be walk able from any bar/restaurants ....

i do know that there are some still working behind the scenes on the legacy park stadium project ..

HangryHippo Guest

If Phi's idea (or something similar) won't happen, the UNP site is the second best option IMO. At least it'd be more convenient.

there is a rumor that chris plank might have an announcement on the softball stadium project at 10am today on his radio show ..

Blog Entries

there is a rumor that chris plank might have an announcement on the softball stadium project at 10am today on his radio show ..
    A few days ago I heard Patti Gasso imply something really good was about to be announced, so this would make sense. Sure hope this is done and done quickly.

announcement came one day late ..

https://twitter.com/OU_Softball/stat...1_c10&ref_url=

Loves giving 9 mil (and matching up to another 3 mil ) toward the Softball stadium ... this should let them break ground in 2022 ..

https://soonersports.com/news/2021/1...l-stadium.aspx

NORMAN – Love's Travel Stops, the nation's leading travel stop network, has provided the lead and naming gift for the University of Oklahoma's new softball stadium. OU Vice President and Athletics Director Joe Castiglione made the announcement today. The new facility will be called Love's Field.

The company has pledged $9 million toward the project and also extended a challenge to other donors. It will match every other donation dollar for dollar up to an additional $3 million dollars as part of project fundraising. Once fulfilled, the match will result in a total gift of $12 million from Love's, which is the largest philanthropic gift directed toward a female specific sport program in OU Athletics history.
    Groundbreaking will likely occur in 2022. It is expected that the stadium will open for the 2024 season.

Nice, this will be a great addition to the NW corner of Imhoff and Jenkins. What happens to the old stadium?

Nice, this will be a great addition to the NW corner of Imhoff and Jenkins. What happens to the old stadium?
    i would guess it gets demoed?? it will be interesting .. it is a pretty nice facility

21. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Love's Field, LOL!

I wonder if they could get Southwest Airlines to be a big sponsor?

22. Default Re: OU Projects

Looks like OU is 48th best large employer https://www.forbes.com/lists/best-la...h=7d35522a7b66

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Looks like OU is 48th best large employer https://www.forbes.com/lists/best-la...h=7d35522a7b66
    That is great positioning for OU. Only Yale and Michigan also made the list, except for a few university affiliated medical centers.

Hopefully this helps them continue to recruit great faculty and support.

It’d be nice if one of Oklahomas universities developed a really good transportation planning program. They could use this as a start: https://www.transportation.gov/brief...illion-fund-35

They have started to demolish the existing Bud Wilkinson building and related facilities just east of the stadium.

Does anybody have renderings of the new facility?

The regents meeting agenda detailed a review of the Northeast corner of Lindsey Street and Jenkins Avenue where the Wilkinson House is located, with the possibility of a relocation of the Student Athlete Academic Service to the area.

Collaborative learning areas, administrative office space, Varsity O-Club facilities and multipurpose space are also possible futures for the Wilkinson House area, according to the agenda. Retooling the space is estimated to cost $75 million with funding from private and athletics department sources.

Thread Information