Widgets Magazine
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2474849505152
Results 1,276 to 1,299 of 1299

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    . But I think that is now quite rare and a huge percentage of OU upperclassmen have to drive from their apartment to go to class. And I know this is something OU very much wants to change.
    my experience in the last 20 years of knowing / talking to / tailgating with people that have gone to OU (and now some that currently go to OU ) almost NONE of them want to live on campus after their freshman year ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    my experience in the last 20 years of knowing / talking to / tailgating with people that have gone to OU (and now some that currently go to OU ) almost NONE of them want to live on campus after their freshman year ..
    And because studies show that living on campus greatly helps with retention, academic performance and graduation, it's long been a stated goal of OU to keep as many on campus as possible.

I've posted something similar before, but all these areas south and west (more out of the frame) of the main campus are underutilized:
    the box next to the golf course is part of the golf course . (Driving range (North) and OU golf practice facilities (south) so it should be removed

And because studies show that living on campus greatly helps with retention, academic performance and graduation, it's long been a stated goal of OU to keep as many on campus as possible.
    I've thought one way to achieve this is by restricting or makeing it a hassle through increased fees and restricted parking of cars on campus of out of state students.

5. Default Re: OU Projects

I also believe the area south of the Sam Noble is a nature preserve of some sort. I can't find where I read about that now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I've thought one way to achieve this is by restricting or makeing it a hassle through increased fees and restricted parking of cars on campus of out of state students.
    why just out of state students .. not ALL students ??

the box next to the golf course is part of the golf course . (Driving range (North) and OU golf practice facilities (south) so it should be removed
    I'll get right on that.

why just out of state students .. not ALL students ??
    You have to start somewhere. Over half of the freshman class is from out of state.

You have to start somewhere. Over half of the freshman class is from out of state.
    They already pay a big out-of-state tuition premium: $25.8K vs. $9.3K.

They already pay a big out-of-state tuition premium: $25.8K vs. $9.3K.
    Which does not discourage students to live off campus.
    Wasn't that the topic?

Which does not discourage students to live off campus.
    Wasn't that the topic?
    You were the one who brought up singling out out-of-state students for more fees, which is never going to happen.

You were the one who brought up singling out out-of-state students for more fees, which is never going to happen.
    Fees or restricting of cars. I brought it up as a way to encouage more on campus living. A partial credit of fees/tiution to be used as housing credit is another avenue.

in the 90's that wasn't part of the golf course and there was an old base-era building that housed some academic offices... i can't for the life of me remember which department. can you recall?

i guess i don't understand what this is supposed to accomplish. freshmen are already required to live on-campus for their first two semesters unless they meet some specific exceptions. freshmen from outside of cleveland and mcclain counties don't even qualify to live with their parent/guardian.

in a time when students pay more than ever to obtain a higher education, it just seems particularly insulting to saddle them with bogus fees just to get them to live where you want them to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    in the 90's that wasn't part of the golf course and there was an old base-era building that housed some academic offices... i can't for the life of me remember which department. can you recall?
    that was the driving range since they redid the course and it reopened in 1996

that was the driving range since they redid the course and it reopened in 1996
    it had to be later than that... i worked as a student for the IT department starting in '99 and recall making a delivery to that old building.

found it on an old aerial from '69. the building was just slightly east from where i thought it was since it sat in front of the old water tower that's still there... the more i think about it, i think it was native american studies out of arts and sciences.
    555EConstitution.jpg

it had to be later than that... i worked as a student for the IT department starting in '99 and recall making a delivery to that old building.
    i worked at Jimmy Austin as a student in 96 .. when the course reopened ..

found it on an old aerial from '69. the building was just slightly east from where i thought it was since it sat in front of the old water tower that's still there... the more i think about it, i think it was native american studies out of arts and sciences.
    555EConstitution.jpg
    right that middle section now the golf course entrance and the "ransom " short course .. were not there in 96 .. they are also not part of what pete has outlined in Red

i worked at Jimmy Austin as a student in 96 .. when the course reopened ..
    we were on campus around the same time. i started in fall of '96 but didn't start working till i was closer to being finished.

The crane is starting to go up for the south building (photo from Sat 2/10):

22. Default Re: OU Projects

Wild how different this area will look. Will be like when headington took over for the old shopping center (and Old O'Connells RIP). Same with Dunham going into that parking lot south of the stadium. Just changed the whole look of campus.

The north building is very close to Cate Center and will soon be about twice its height:

Thread Information