Norman to lose 200+ payroll.

New mental health facility coming to Oklahoma County
    https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...ility/42540549

Default Re: GMH moving to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Norman to lose 200+ payroll.

New mental health facility coming to Oklahoma County
    https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...ility/42540549
    Where is the new facility location? I think this could end up being a good thing for Norman so the Griffin site can be redeveloped into housing and mixed-use

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Where is the new facility location? I think this could end up being a good thing for Norman so the Griffin site can be redeveloped into housing and mixed-use
    It's going to be turned into strip malls. I forgot the name of the developer who has been pushing GMH and ODMHSAS to make this move so he can get the land, but if I heard his name, I'd know it (it's a name several people on this board would be familiar with--just drawing a blank). His current plans turn the empty land into a series of strip malls, so don't expect something amazing to happen there.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    It's going to be turned into strip malls. I forgot the name of the developer who has been pushing GMH and ODMHSAS to make this move so he can get the land, but if I heard his name, I'd know it (it's a name several people on this board would be familiar with--just drawing a blank). His current plans turn the empty land into a series of strip malls, so don't expect something amazing to happen there.
    that's a lot of strip malls... the wal-mart just to the east sits on 21 acres. the gmh complex sits on over 100 acres. assuming the land gets sold to a private developer, i'd be surprised if all of it gets developed as strip malls.

The story says they will be upgrading the Norman facility in addition to expanding in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The story says they will be upgrading the Norman facility in addition to expanding in OKC.
    i've read some sources that say that a new site will need to be selected so that current operations can continue during construction. the way that i read it, the 'facility' will continue and expand but that it will need to move to another physical site... given the size of the gmh property and the amount of space currently being utilized, i'm a bit skeptical regarding that constraint... but that's what's being claimed.

I heard the new facility was going to be south of OSU-OKC. It seems like they would need a large plot of land for a hospital. I don't know where they could put one near OSU-OKC

I would love to be able to explore the old church building there before it's torn down.
    GMH has some interesting history. The hospital used to have 100's more acres between Alameda and Rock Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    I would love to be able to explore the old church building there before it's torn down.
    GMH has some interesting history. The hospital used to have 100's more acres between Alameda and Rock Creek.
    It also has a mass grave.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I heard the new facility was going to be south of OSU-OKC. It seems like they would need a large plot of land for a hospital. I don't know where they could put one near OSU-OKC
    You can put a standalone 200 bed psych hospital on minimal acreage. All the parts of the old Central State Hospital are no longer in use (radiology, OR suites, lab, anesthesia). I'm curious who they are going to contract with to cover these needs, it was Norman Regional.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    You can put a standalone 200 bed psych hospital on minimal acreage. All the parts of the old Central State Hospital are no longer in use (radiology, OR suites, lab, anesthesia). I'm curious who they are going to contract with to cover these needs, it was Norman Regional.
    Acreage? Tulsa's new Mental Health Hospital with 100 beds is going in downtown on what is a parking lot today at the OSU Medical Center behind the new VA Hospital. It breaks ground in March.

A couple of videos about the hospital

https://youtu.be/cCth-e4Z0uM (1953) What it was like "back in the day".

https://youtu.be/GvwE6_ZjSLs

13. Default Re: GMH moving to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    A lot of what's on this campus has been abandoned for decades. It's a pretty poor use of the land actually. They could build a new structure on the grass at the corner and take up a lot less space and reduce maintenance expenses and then demo all the literal crap on the grounds.

I think some of the buildings there have historic status, and most of them for sure have asbestos. I have a feeling that is why some of the oldest haven't been knocked down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    I think some of the buildings there have historic status, and most of them for sure have asbestos. I have a feeling that is why some of the oldest haven't been knocked down yet.
    https://abandonedok.com/griffin-memorial-chapel/

That's really cool. I've always wondered what the inside as like.
    I know it would be insanely expensive but I would love to see that building saved and turned into something useful again.

I've been in that chapel but have few memories of it because it was almost 70 years ago. I used to play the accordion and played duets with my twin brother. I was in an accordion band which played a concert there for patients and also was in a talent competition there with my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I've been in that chapel but have few memories of it because it was almost 70 years ago. I used to play the accordion and played duets with my twin brother. I was in an accordion band which played a concert there for patients and also was in a talent competition there with my brother.
    Did you win?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    Did you win?
    We was robbed!!! A couple of singing brothers won and we came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    This just isn’t true. That’s not to say it may not ultimately be strip malls/big box, but the land has not been sold by the State and/or committed to any specific developer. There are a number of private developers who are interested with various ideas/plans, but no single or group of developers has a commitment or control.

So the new location is going into the NE corner of W Reno and S Portland on the campus of OSU-OKC. They are destroying the existing Precision Driving Center to make room. The existing building is only 15 yrs old and the driving range is in exceptional condition.

But the Reno and Portland location doesn't have to fight with NIMBY neighbors ...

Thread Information