Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 52 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default OU Projects

Ok, so what is going in by the Huff? I hear it's a pool, and I hear it's a power plan. What is it? Also, what about the area by subway? Any plans for that yet?

Default Re: OU Projects

By Huff is the new chill plant, replacing the one that has long been up Jenkins near Boyd (if my memory is not totally blown)

The Jenkins/Lindsey corner is now owned by OU, but what'll happen there is on hold (this also is if my memory is not totally blown)

Is there still anything about a pool? I keep hearing about a pool, but I can't find any recent literature about it.

Last I heard, plans for a new swim complex have been shelved.

There was going to be an indoor waterpark, but it never advanced beyond being a pie in the sky. OU has put a lot of building projects on hold particularly for housing--if it weren't for the recession, you would be amazed at the amount of construction underway at the moment. What we could really use is a sugar daddy to keep us cash positive and moving forward, like that other school..

When I went to school there they had the students vote for the water park, I remembered that I voted no and so did the majority. I think they were going to hike up a big fee to the students for it and we didnt like that. The fee for the huff is was really ridiculous for the value i thought. Huff is the best fitness facility in the state that I have ever seen, but not worth the effort to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by z28james View Post
    Huff is the best fitness facility in the state that I have ever seen, but not worth the effort to get there.
    Huff is the worst fitness facility in the state that I have ever seen, but still worth the effort to get there if you're trying to get in shape.

You should check out the Colvin Center (OSU) and the Collins Center (TU), both of which blow our rec center out of the water. THAT is why they put the indoor waterpark out there, to upgrade the status of the rec center and give it something sexy to brag about along the likes of these other amazing rec centers popping up all over the country now.

I voted no also, but the majority voted yes...I think it passed because around 52% voted yes. I heard the swimming pool thing will still happen, but it will be a scaled down version, not what was presented to students.

Quote Originally Posted by okyeah View Post
    I voted no also, but the majority voted yes...I think it passed because around 52% voted yes. I heard the swimming pool thing will still happen, but it will be a scaled down version, not what was presented to students.
    This is what I heard as well...It did pass with a majority in favor. I voted yes when I was a student, but the the swimming pool they plan on building at some point is a scaled down version of what we voted for.

Quote Originally Posted by ouguy23 View Post
    This is what I heard as well...It did pass with a majority in favor. I voted yes when I was a student, but the the swimming pool they plan on building at some point is a scaled down version of what we voted for.
    The fee remains the same though, right?

I heard the transit department wants to build an elevated monorail from Lloyd Noble Center thru south campus, dorms, etc all the way to the Bizzel Library. Anyone know when its supposed to be up an running? First I heard of it was about 2 years ago from a route planner in the CART office.

someone has been watching old Simpson reruns!

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    I heard the transit department wants to build an elevated monorail from Lloyd Noble Center thru south campus, dorms, etc all the way to the Bizzel Library. Anyone know when its supposed to be up an running? First I heard of it was about 2 years ago from a route planner in the CART office.

The Jenkins area is supposed to be the new athletic dorms, coupled with honors dorms (to meet ncaa regs). Since the foundation owns the land, and not the university there is a chance that o'connells could remain in the area as a first floor tenant of the new condos. At least this was what I heard from O'Connells owner.

Quote Originally Posted by NickFiggins View Post
    The Jenkins area is supposed to be the new athletic dorms, coupled with honors dorms (to meet ncaa regs). Since the foundation owns the land, and not the university there is a chance that o'connells could remain in the area as a first floor tenant of the new condos. At least this was what I heard from O'Connells owner.
    That would make me very happy. When in school I never really got the attraction of The Mont, but I was, and remain, a fan of what O'Connell's has carried on at the Lindsey location. I've love for it to remain.

I am a fan as well. It's vastly different from the Campus Corner location, in menu and patrons. I prefer the Lindsey street. Plus, it's the only bar around me!

OU President David Boren said the university plans to build new Sooner Housing dorms in the approximate 2.2-acre space, which will be mixed with athletes and non-athletes, and tear down the Jefferson and Jones dorms, which sit across Lindsey Street from the future development.

http://normantranscript.com/headline...re-development

So, the Sooner Center Housing will definitely be on the SE corner of Lindsey & Jenkins and it looks like they may include retail on the ground level. Elsewhere, the complex has been described as "mid-rise" with a central dining and computer lab.

The other projects on the immediate list (gleaned from reading the regent's minutes) are:

Four Partners Place in the south research campus ($48 million)
    Improvements to both the softball and baseball complexes (about $4 million each)
    Stuart Wing, Fred Jones Art Center (about $11 million and already underway)
    Armory Renovation ($12 million -- I think this has already started?)

Two big projects are wrapping up and should be complete by summer:

Gould Hall ($33 million)
    Zarrow Hall ($12 million)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    So, the Sooner Center Housing will definitely be on the SE corner of Lindsey & Jenkins and it looks like they may include retail on the ground level. Elsewhere, the complex has been described as "mid-rise" with a central dining and computer lab.

The other projects on the immediate list (gleaned from reading the regent's minutes) are:

Improvements to both the softball and baseball complexes (about $4 million each)

Gould Hall ($33 million)
    There is also the Central Plant under construction north of the Huffman Center. After that is finished (next year) they will start the new aquatics center and Huffman expansion. The total cost for both projects is over $100 million. With the new housing at Lindsey & Jenkins and the Huffman projects that will be a busy place for a few years.

I don't know of any other projects on the horizon. I have heard Goddard Health Center is slated to be replaced with a new building at some point, and some of the older buildings like Bizzell Library will see renovations. I know OU wants a new science lab building on campus, not sure if they would build a new building or renovate an existing one like GL Cross.

from the jan regents meeting... it looks like the demolition will start very soon and the constrution will come right after with completion set for fall 2013 also of note is that final plans will be unveiled at the march meeting

AGENDA ITEM 19
    ISSUE: SOONER CENTER STUDENT HOUSING – NC
    ACTION PROPOSED:
    President Boren recommends the Board of Regents:
    I. Approve an initial guaranteed maximum price of $2,400,000 for demolition,
    excavation and site development related improvements; and
    II. Recognize and acknowledge that the University may incur certain costs relative to
    the above project prior to receipt of bond proceeds and, to the extent the
    University utilizes its own funds for said costs, it is intended that bond proceeds
    will be utilized to reimburse the University.
    BACKGROUND AND/OR RATIONALE:
    At the May 2008 meeting and with each subsequently approved Campus Master Plan
    of Capital Improvement Projects for the Norman Campus, the Board of Regents has approved
    the Sooner Center Student Housing project. In May 2010, the Board approved the project with
    an estimated total project cost of $75,000,000.
    Design development plans are being prepared by the project architects, Studio
    Architects, and it is anticipated that the Board will be requested to approve the project design in
    March 2011. The center, to be located at the southeast corner of Jenkins Avenue and Lindsey
    Street, will house students and student athletes in a combination of two- and four-bed units
    totaling approximately 380 beds. The building is planned to be a mid-rise structure, with central
    dining, computer labs, study rooms, and other support facilities on the ground floor. The project
    will also include a Faculty-In-Residence apartment.
    At the September 2010 meeting, the Board ranked Flintco, LLC of Oklahoma City
    first among firms considered to provide at-risk construction management services for the project.
    Flintco, LLC (the “CM”) has assisted in organizing the project construction sequence and
    preparing a master schedule for construction, and has provided a guaranteed maximum price
    proposal for initial demolition, excavation and site development related work. A guaranteed
    maximum price of $2,400,000 is proposed for this initial work. This price includes the cost of
    demolition and construction; the CM’s direct project management services; the CM’s fee, bonds
    and project-related insurance; and an owner’s contingency. It is anticipated that the Board will
    be asked to approve incremental increases to the guaranteed maximum price as construction
    documents for the remainder of the project construction elements are finalized.
    Demolition will commence directly, with the goal for project completion in fall 2013.
    Funding for this phase of the project has been identified, is available and budgeted within
    Athletics Department capital accounts.

Gould Hall ($33 million)
    How on earth did Gould Hall cost $33M?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    How on earth did Gould Hall cost $33M?
    It's expensive to remediate asebestos in a 108,000 SF building, take it down to the steel structure including replacing all of the extensive brickwork, placing all new interior finishes, windows, roofing and HVAC/lighting systems, and building 25,000 SF worth of new additions including a larger subterranean level under the gallery. For what they did to the existing building they could've torn it down and started over, but that was before they added a lot of scope to the project such as replacing the brick which was an almost $1 million increase..

Well, I take back my comments about possibly slowing down on construction for a while!

But I don't get why a 380 bed dorm -- even with the additional amenities -- is going to cost $75 million. Especially since they've already bought the land (or perhaps they are including that in the cost estimate?).

I could be wrong but I believe that a good portion of the new dorm space will be reserved for OU students who are on academic scholarships. I have been told these new dorms will be used as a academic recruiting tool.
    I have heard limited details about the OU baseball park improvements, but as an OU baseball season ticket holder I would like to see a link detailing the plans. I have not yet been able to find anything in print.
    I have heard LDM plans include the installation of green chair backs seats for the entire stadium and a new back stop.

I hope they do something to slow the wind from wiping though the stadium.

Well, I take back my comments about possibly slowing down on construction for a while!

But I don't get why a 380 bed dorm -- even with the additional amenities -- is going to cost $75 million. Especially since they've already bought the land (or perhaps they are including that in the cost estimate?).
    that is a great ? pete ... it will be very interesting to see the final design later this month

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that is a great ? pete ... it will be very interesting to see the final design later this month
    Agree. I am hoping for mixed-use, with retail space at street level and residential units above. It could set a precedent for future redevelopment of Cate Center, which I know OU has been interested in replacing.

I worked on a project in arch school where the South Oval was extended through Cate Center to connect to the Walker-Adams Mall between the towers with new student housing on both sides. It would be cool if something like that was actually built, with student-oriented retail space along Lindsey.

Thread Information