Widgets Magazine

Thread: OU Projects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Why just throw away billions you have dedicated at OU HSC? I mean, OU is not swimming in funds right now, thanks to the state's crappy funding. Just throwing away what you have near Downtown isn't smart, in my opinion. The AAU is the entity that needs to change their stupid, archaic rules.
    How is CU-Boulder an AAU member if its medical school and HSC is in Aurora?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    How is CU-Boulder an AAU member if its medical school and HSC is in Aurora?
    they likely have enough research funding with out counting the med school

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they likely have enough research funding with out counting the med school
    Right, this is the issue.

If the university on its own has tons of research funding, they don't need to rely on the medical school.

As for OU, the medical school is in the same metro area and only 20 miles from the main campus. The distance at Nebraska is 60 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As for OU, the medical school is in the same metro area and only 20 miles from the main campus. The distance at Nebraska is 60 miles.
    it was pointed out to me via pm that part of the issue with nebraska was that their medical school is under a different organization than their main campus.

As a University of Nebraska student from Norman, I can back this up completely. Traveling from Lincoln to Omaha feels like it takes forever, leading to my friends and I hardly ever traveling to Omaha.

If the university on its own has tons of research funding, they don't need to rely on the medical school.

The location of the University of Tennessee's medical school is wild. Its 400 miles away from the main campus in Memphis. Makes OUHS seem like an easy walk to the Norman campus by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    The location of the University of Tennessee's medical school is wild. Its 400 miles away from the main campus in Memphis. Makes OUHS seem like an easy walk to the Norman campus by comparison.
    And UT isn't an AAU school. Yet somehow, KU is, with their medical school in Kansas City.

I do know that OU has vastly increased their meteorological research, and engineering research (energy and non-energy). Not sure what the threshold is, or other criteria.

It sounds like a good opportunity for OU to increase its overall research funding on the Norman campus. Lots of available land in the research park. Someday they will redevelop the acreage where LNC sits as well. Hoping to see more of a mixed-use neighborhood built on that land. That combined with the existing research park across Jenkins could be a huge economic driver.

Thread Information