Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

Good point about the suites... You can bet that will be included because they are massive money-makers.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I would have rather had a new arena but this is likely a much cheaper option.
    I suppose what OU does will depend on how much money is available / donated.
    I hope OU doesn’t drag out the construction for several years like they have with the baseball stadium.
    I know this would be more expensive, but I'd rather see them raise more money and put the arena on the south side of the football stadium where the football practice fields are located. Those fields could be put north of the football practice facility if a parking garage is built to replace that massive parking lot. That's my master plan that's not happening...

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I know this would be more expensive, but I'd rather see them raise more money and put the arena on the south side of the football stadium where the football practice fields are located. Those fields could be put north of the football practice facility if a parking garage is built to replace that massive parking lot. That's my master plan that's not happening...
    In the next few years if OU built a new arena I would favor a location north east of the football stadium in the area where OU has already been gradually buying up property’s.

This would be very close to the planed OU commuter rail and bus station. It would be within reasonable walking distance for most students.
    Any parking improvements would be able to be used nearly every day and would help fans who attend football games and other events.
    Obviously OU doesn’t have a large donor for this type of project and is going with a cheaper option.
    Eventually OU will need part of the practice field land to enclose the south end zone.

Wasn't there a lot of talk about renovating the Field House north of the stadium into an arena?

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Wasn't there a lot of talk about renovating the Field House north of the stadium into an arena?
    No, they decided to put a bunch of money in it (which they've already done) and have it be for wrestling and volleyball.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    In the next few years if OU built a new arena I would favor a location north east of the football stadium in the area where OU has already been gradually buying up property’s.

This would be very close to the planed OU commuter rail and bus station. It would be within reasonable walking distance for most students.
    Any parking improvements would be able to be used nearly every day and would help fans who attend football games and other events.
    Obviously OU doesn’t have a large donor for this type of project and is going with a cheaper option.
    Eventually OU will need part of the practice field land to enclose the south end zone.
    This is the best plan I've heard. I don't think it will happen anytime in the short term but could be part of a bigger athletics project involving the expansion of the stadium 5-10 years down the road.

I think student housing will be the next big short term project for OU. Once Headington Hall opens there will likely be a push to add more similar projects along Lindsey between Jenkins and Asp, and eventually replace Cate Center with a similar project in the future. Building up the research campus will also be a priority with more office buildings constructed, especially if the GE Energy research center is built there.

I can definitely assure you at OU will not be replacing Lloyd Noble anytime soon, its an unfortunate truth.

I don't believe replacing Cate will happen anytime soon either since they have been in the process of gutting and renovating the interiors of each cate building the last couple of years.

Not surprised that LNC is getting overhauled; don't there would have been the 2002-era rehab had their been any plans to build an entirely new facility.

Just in my little knothole, I'm still wanting to see OU redo the press box at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Its a nearly 40-year-old facility that was state of the art in its day, but from everything I've read, its in serious need of overhaul. One plan I heard was to raze the existing structure, then rebuild a new facility that would run the width of the west deck, including a combination of media facilities and high-roller suites. This was on tap just before the recession, haven't heard any new notions of subsequent plans...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Not surprised that LNC is getting overhauled; don't there would have been the 2002-era rehab had their been any plans to build an entirely new facility.

Just in my little knothole, I'm still wanting to see OU redo the press box at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Its a nearly 40-year-old facility that was state of the art in its day, but from everything I've read, its in serious need of overhaul. One plan I heard was to raze the existing structure, then rebuild a new facility that would run the width of the west deck, including a combination of media facilities and high-roller suites. This was on tap just before the recession, haven't heard any new notions of subsequent plans...

There are plans to renovate the press box, but not completely tear down and rebuild the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by treyingram90 View Post
    There are plans to renovate the press box, but not completely tear down and rebuild the structure.
    Could you expand on that? If you've got some good source material or links, that'd be awesome. Must say I'm not thrilled with a facelift, however. I guess they scrapped plans for the full rebuild?

Could you expand on that? If you've got some good source material or links, that'd be awesome. Must say I'm not thrilled with a facelift, however. I guess they scrapped plans for the full rebuild?
    i have heard that the full rebuild is still on the table .. it will all depend on how much money they can raise

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i have heard that the full rebuild is still on the table .. it will all depend on how much money they can raise
    That's sure closer to what I have heard, Boulder. I guess a facelift is possible, but man it seems like a curious expenditure of money on an older structure.

I remember the press box issue being part of the stadium Master Plan from several years ago, if I'm not mistaken, and they were planning on rolling ahead when the economy went in the toilet and the monies dried up. I recall Joe C saying something to the effect of saying they'll go back to the project "when it makes financial sense" or words to that effect. The biggest issue I recall in planning were the additional expense associated with the complicated logistics of getting cranes and other heavy construction equipment into the stadium area given the presence of the parking garage. Oh, well, guess it will get done whenever it gets done. Seems like that's the last big piece to the puzzle for OMS for a while to come, as I really don't see them "bowling the corners" as many have commented any time soon.

That's sure closer to what I have heard, Boulder. I guess a facelift is possible, but man it seems like a curious expenditure of money on an older structure.

I remember the press box issue being part of the stadium Master Plan from several years ago, if I'm not mistaken, and they were planning on rolling ahead when the economy went in the toilet and the monies dried up. I recall Joe C saying something to the effect of saying they'll go back to the project "when it makes financial sense" or words to that effect. The biggest issue I recall in planning were the additional expense associated with the complicated logistics of getting cranes and other heavy construction equipment into the stadium area given the presence of the parking garage. Oh, well, guess it will get done whenever it gets done. Seems like that's the last big piece to the puzzle for OMS for a while to come, as I really don't see them "bowling the corners" as many have commented any time soon.
    the numbers were around at one time ... the full redo of the west deck .. moving the press box to the top suites row .... and adding a club level would add 100-200 seats to the stadium .. but would generate lots of new revenue because of the new club level seats and extra suites

the numbers were around at one time ... the full redo of the west deck .. moving the press box to the top suites row .... and adding a club level would add 100-200 seats to the stadium .. but would generate lots of new revenue because of the new club level seats and extra suites
    Exactly. I wish someone in the broader sports media could ask Joe C about this project in particular, if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity. I mean, isn't that good enough reason?

All kidding aside, I'd like to hear the status of that project (dead, delayed, or otherwise) from Joe C. I heard Stoops make overtures in this direction a few months back (commenting about the state of the press box at OMS), and thought surely that was the first volley in a campaign to get that project going - but it never went anywhere.

Surely there are some reporter types that lurk on this board and might come across this question, and could solicit a response from Joe C on it...I mean, its not like it would be some double-secret thing If the economy is picking up, surely the folks in the AD's office have a pretty good feel for the "temperature of the water" as it were for a project like this.

They might as well wait until they have adequate funding to do the west side right, and remove the entire existing press box and suites and then rebuild a new structure along the entire length of the west upper deck that has suites and a press level, probably 3 stories tall with glass to match the suites on the east side and a new brick facade over the entire west side. When you look at what schools like Nebraska and A&M are doing this would be considered a small project compared to major projects they have either under construction or planned.

And the upgrades to Cate Center were because they turned part of the complex into offices, and the window upgrades were 40 years past due. I wouldn't doubt that if they can configure that site to hold more students in higher rent units then OU will readily bulldoze those buildings, especially if they can also make it a mixed-use project with retail along Lindsey (similar to what they're doing with Headington Hall but more extensive). I do think they would infill the parking lot between Jenkins and Asp first.

i think they are talking about removing the entire west deck .. (not just the press box) .. and rebuilding it to match the east side

i think they are talking about removing the entire west deck .. (not just the press box) .. and rebuilding it to match the east side
    Wow...Now I had *not* heard that one, Boulder. That's a monumental project that almost certainly couldn't be done in one off-season - heck, the demo on the existing structure would take up half that much time by itself. There'd be a ton of displaced season ticket holders for at least one season, to say nothing of the very high additional cost, combined with the fact that a true match with the east side would almost certainly result in a reduction in total seating capacity. I know the construction on the east side took one entire season to finish (during 2002), so it almost makes me suspect it might take two full football seasons to demo the existing deck, build a new twin-deck like the east side, and have a new pressbox atop it all. Wow.

See, that's why we need Joe C to come out and tell us what his "vision" is. Certainly he knows what he wants to do

The press box wouldn't be on top it would be part of the top club level. Ie below the top deck. And with the right schedule it could be done I believe in one off season.

Not saying that is what will happen. But I know it has been talked about

The press box wouldn't be on top it would be part of the top club level. Ie below the top deck. And with the right schedule it could be done I believe in one off season.

Not saying that is what will happen. But I know it has been talked about
    Ahhh, okay, I gotcha. It would be incredibly tight, but they might be able to pull it off. The time to demo the existing structure would be the 800 lb gorilla to me.

Ahhh, okay, I gotcha. It would be incredibly tight, but they might be able to pull it off. The time to demo the existing structure would be the 800 lb gorilla to me.
    no doubt .. it would be interesting to see if they could use/reuse some of the substructure .. or if they would have to demo to the ground ..

Pretty sure, but not positive, K-State just demolished and is re-building an entire side of their stadium in one off season.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Pretty sure, but not positive, K-State just demolished and is re-building an entire side of their stadium in one off season.
    Nebraska is doing the same thing, among other schools. It can be done, but it does cost more $$$.

K-State needs a new stadium.

Michigan just totally renovated theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    K-State needs a new stadium.

Michigan just totally renovated theirs.
    Think some wealthy benefactor threw a whole pile of money at KSU to rebuild one portion of their stadium a few years back, so I doubt a new facility is on the horizon right now..in fact, the structure of their renovation was very much a template for the way OU built the new east stands a few years ago.

Think some wealthy benefactor threw a whole pile of money at KSU to rebuild one portion of their stadium a few years back, so I doubt a new facility is on the horizon right now..in fact, the structure of their renovation was very much a template for the way OU built the new east stands a few years ago.
    and kstate is in the middle of another multi phase renovation

Thread Information