Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

Timing, the brick apartments are being renovated while the south 2 biulding ( north of Lloyd Noble) are coming down piece by piece as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by YO MUDA View Post
    Timing, the brick apartments are being renovated while the south 2 biulding ( north of Lloyd Noble) are coming down piece by piece as we speak.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Do you know what the university will do with that space? (the south 2 buildings)? It's too small to build another apartment complex.
    The rest of Kraettli needs major renovation too. I miss the days when I lived there, a lot of trees, OU marching band, tennis court, sweet memories.

Ive heard they will biuld a much needed parking area for the Gymnatics. Ive also heard for about 6 years now, they are wanting to merge Imhoff with Constitution. I guess we'll wait and see.
    Jimi

This link explains and shows what OU’s new on campus rowing facility will look like

OU Rowing Training Center Approved - SoonerSports.com - Official Athletics Site of the Oklahoma Sooners

The apartments are now gone, down to dirt at this point. Call me naive since i've never been to the gymnastics facility except just in passing, but why build a separate lot just for that building? Why not just use the LNC parking lot and have people walk across the street? Baseball seems to have no problem doing that. I'd much rather see them merge Imhoff and Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by zacelliott View Post
    The apartments are now gone, down to dirt at this point. Call me naive since i've never been to the gymnastics facility except just in passing, but why build a separate lot just for that building? Why not just use the LNC parking lot and have people walk across the street? Baseball seems to have no problem doing that. I'd much rather see them merge Imhoff and Constitution.
    Because in Oklahoma, people are unwilling to walk any distance at all.

I have seen people sit in their car for 5 minutes on someone to pull out of a front row parking spot, when 60 feet away (6 spots down) there were several empty spots. I see it often.

baseball players don't do that they park at the LNC ...

the gymnastics facility is not for events it is for practice ... and when you are recruiting you want to make things as nice as possible

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post

I have seen people sit in their car for 5 minutes on someone to pull out of a front row parking spot, when 60 feet away (6 spots down) there were several empty spots. I see it often.
    The other day here at OCCC I went to my car and this other car followed me to see where I parked and I had one of the closest parking spaces you could get, I had get some things sorted before I drove off, and after 15-20 mins, this guy was still still waiting for (I KID YOU NOT!). When pulled out he flipped me the bird and said something and floored the gas and flew into the parking space in a very displeased manner. There was an open spot four, I repeat FOUR, parking spaces down from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The other day here at OCCC I went to my car and this other car followed me to see where I parked and I had one of the closest parking spaces you could get, I had get some things sorted before I drove off, and after 15-20 mins, this guy was still still waiting for (I KID YOU NOT!). When pulled out he flipped me the bird and said something and floored the gas and flew into the parking space in a very displeased manner. There was an open spot four, I repeat FOUR, parking spaces down from me.

But, but, but, he patiently stalked his prey, waited for the right moment, and killed it. Therefore, in his overjoyed mind, he had won his quest. Had he taken the hole just four spots down, he might of had to, horror of horrors, endure the smirk of another over stressed hunter, ever so pleased with himself that he had bagged the better prey, and with fewer steps afterwards on is way to braggartville.

Yeah, it's silly, but whatcha gonna do..

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    But, but, but, he patiently stalked his prey, waited for the right moment, and killed it. Therefore, in his overjoyed mind, he had won his quest. Had he taken the hole just four spots down, he might of had to, horror of horrors, endure the smirk of another over stressed hunter, ever so pleased with himself that he had bagged the better prey, and with fewer steps afterwards on is way to braggartville.

You're exactly right. It's best to just laugh it off and go on.

I hear ya lol . . . I wasn't angry at all, I was just kind of in shock. I mean 20mins!?!?!?! lol. . . I think it just became an issue of prinicple for this guy or something, maybe he thought I was just trying to piss him off (which I wasn't) and just wanted to prove a point O_o

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post

This is so true. It drives me crazy. I notice this during the holiday season, particularly at Penn Square Mall. Half the reason the parking lot is so busy is people are so unwilling to simply park in the lot by the bank/Cheesecake Factory and other areas far out, so they drive around over and over until they find that close spot (god forbid anyone actually walks a little bit).

I agree that it's crazy and that people should walk. On the other hand, if I see someone waiting for my space, and I know I'm not going to be leaving for 15 minutes, I would politely signal to them to keep looking. And, you never know, they may have difficulty walking even if they aren't handicapped.

The apartments are now gone, down to dirt at this point. Call me naive since i've never been to the gymnastics facility except just in passing, but why build a separate lot just for that building? Why not just use the LNC parking lot and have people walk across the street? Baseball seems to have no problem doing that.
    I attend most home OU baseball games… The OU baseball players, coaches, and staff have their own on-site parking.
    They do not park at the LNC, but fans do.

The problem for the Gymnastics people is that when the LNC parking lot is full there isn’t enough parking for everyone who uses the gymnastic training facility.They also need a secure area for parking while they are on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    I agree that it's crazy and that people should walk. On the other hand, if I see someone waiting for my space, and I know I'm not going to be leaving for 15 minutes, I would politely signal to them to keep looking. And, you never know, they may have difficulty walking even if they aren't handicapped.
    Well, I didn't know the guy was still waiting for me until I backed out.

Noticed today demolition of 3 house on Jenkins and Farmer. 1 brick house left still looks occupied, but im sure its gonna go too. Also OU purchased 2 houses on Page street and Trout, nw and sw corners.

Quote Originally Posted by YO MUDA View Post
    Noticed today demolition of 3 house on Jenkins and Farmer. 1 brick house left still looks occupied, but im sure its gonna go too. Also OU purchased 2 houses on Page street and Trout, nw and sw corners.
    I saw that Monday.

Over the past several years it has become apparent that OU is gradually buying up as many of these old properties as they can and as they naturally become available, which is much smarter than going through the eminent domain process.

I would guess that anything west of the Railroad tracks, North of E. Constitution, West of Jenkins, and south of Boyd would be strong candidates for eventual OU purchase.

An area north of Boyd just north of the Energy Center could also be on the list? With an elevated walk way across Boyd this would be a good location for a large parking garage.

HangryHippo Guest

This is a very cool program that OU has that appears to be doing well. I wouldn't mind seeing our state universities team up and open a combined office somewhere in downtown OKC. OSU has a very similar program that appears to be even more successful than OU's center, and together, they'd be an awesome resource for downtown OKC.

OU is turning the Bud Wilkinson house into the new home of the Athletic Academic servies and the old dining hall into a banquet space/study hall room

31 Bud Wilkinson House/Wagner Dining Hall Renovation: A study has been
    undertaken to assess the viability of repurposing these two buildings for other
    functions upon the relocation of student housing and dining to Headington Hall.
    The Athletic Academic Services program is proposed to be relocated from the
    second floor of the Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium into Bud
    Wilkinson House. The existing 29,650 square foot building would be expanded to
    approximately 42,000 square feet to accommodate the program’s current and future
    academic needs. The facility would also feature a central stairway and elevator,
    new façade, and upgrades to restrooms and mechanical and electrical systems.
    Wagner Dining Hall is proposed to be renovated into a banquet facility for use by
    the University O-Club and would also serve as a central study hall for student
    athletes. The remodel would include new interior finishes in the dining area, new
    equipment designed for catered events in the kitchen, new restrooms, and new
    mechanical and electrical systems. The estimated total project cost is $14,000,000.
    Funding for preliminary planning has been identified from Athletics Department
    sources.

i would guess jones will be torn down

plus agenda item 18 a new master plan for the LNC

ISSUE: LLOYD NOBLE CENTER MASTER PLAN – NC
    ACTION PROPOSED:
    President Boren recommends the Board of Regents:
    I. Rank in the order presented below architectural firms under consideration to
    provide professional services required for a master plan for the Lloyd Noble
    Center and for improvements at the facility;
    II. Authorize the University administration to negotiate the terms of an agreement
    and a fee for these professional services, starting with the highest-ranked firm;
    and
    III. Authorize the President or his designee to execute the consultant contract.
    BACKGROUND AND/OR RATIONALE:
    The Lloyd Noble Center was constructed in 1975 with a major building addition
    constructed in 2002. Current building area totals approximately 264,000 gross square feet. The
    need has been identified for a comprehensive master plan for facility-wide improvements. The
    master planning effort will require the services of an architectural consultant to provide
    programming and to assist in the development of a comprehensive program. As funding is
    available and improvements projects are approved and implemented, the selected consultant will
    be requested to provide professional services for project design, construction documents and
    construction administration

21. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    plus agenda item 18 a new master plan for the LNC

ISSUE: LLOYD NOBLE CENTER MASTER PLAN – NC
    ACTION PROPOSED:
    President Boren recommends the Board of Regents:
    I. Rank in the order presented below architectural firms under consideration to
    provide professional services required for a master plan for the Lloyd Noble
    Center and for improvements at the facility;
    II. Authorize the University administration to negotiate the terms of an agreement
    and a fee for these professional services, starting with the highest-ranked firm;
    and
    III. Authorize the President or his designee to execute the consultant contract.
    BACKGROUND AND/OR RATIONALE:
    The Lloyd Noble Center was constructed in 1975 with a major building addition
    constructed in 2002. Current building area totals approximately 264,000 gross square feet. The
    need has been identified for a comprehensive master plan for facility-wide improvements. The
    master planning effort will require the services of an architectural consultant to provide
    programming and to assist in the development of a comprehensive program. As funding is
    available and improvements projects are approved and implemented, the selected consultant will
    be requested to provide professional services for project design, construction documents and
    construction administration
    Looks like I'll be working on this project...

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    So, are we talking lipstick on pig type scope... or more like raise the roof, gut, and build straight up type scope?

I think 2002 was a re-freshening of the LNC and now they will be looking at major changes to the arena itself.

Not sure about raising the roof but I bet they'll reconfigure the bowl so that seating is more like a gym and less like a concert venue.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    great ... from the peanut gallery suggestions include

a. some box/suites like the ones at the Mabee Center at either the top of the lower level or the bottom of the upper level

b. remove the Wall on the student end (at the minimum)

c. "square" the seating like they did at the erwin center (ut basketball)

I would have rather had a new arena but this is likely a much cheaper option.
    I suppose what OU does will depend on how much money is available / donated.
    I hope OU doesn’t drag out the construction for several years like they have with the baseball stadium.

Thread Information