Widgets Magazine
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 424344454647
Results 1,151 to 1,156 of 1156

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Now Huston Huffman Center needs a major upgrade and aquatics facility including indoor and outdoor pools. It's in a great location in the middle of all of the new student housing but is outdated and smaller than OU's peer universities especially those in the SEC.
    There was a plan to do just that some time ago but it was never a high priority.

The fact they haven't built anything on the proposed expansion area tells me it will eventually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    OKCTalk has obtained plans for the first phase of the total rebuilding of the freshman dorms at OU.

Funds were recently approved to demolish Adams Center, one of the three dorm towers just south of Lindsey Street.

The plans show that in place of the 12-story Adams, there will be two five-story brick buildings similar to the recently built residential colleges to the east.

In addition to new dorm rooms, each will have lounge and study areas as well as a large storm shelter. The north building will have a coffee shop; the south a convenience store.

All the dorm towers were built in the 1960s and President Joseph Harroz has said the university has adopted a “freshman housing master plan” which would systematically replace all. Once Adams is replaced Walker and Couch towers would also give way to similar new structures.

The university recently acquired the 1,200-bed Cross Center (Admas has 908) which will allow it to maintain a sufficient housing supply while they continue the demolish/rebuild process.

The architects are ADG/Blatt of Oklahoma City.

Always love the look of the Oklahoma standard red brick and white trim.

I wonder if the amount of beds in Adams will be replaced by these dorms. It doesn't seem like it since Adams had like 1,200 living in it.

I remember spending time in my friends super suite above cains. It always smelled like chicken. Hopefully DLB Hall will be around for a while....

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    I wonder if the amount of beds in Adams will be replaced by these dorms. It doesn't seem like it since Adams had like 1,200 living in it.

I remember spending time in my friends super suite above cains. It always smelled like chicken. Hopefully DLB Hall will be around for a while....
    All the current beds will be replaced by new ones.

5. Default Re: OU Projects

It's so long overdue. I was told that the university didn't put anyone in Adams this year to prepare for this. Not sure if that's true or not. If it is, then they have plenty of capacity to complete all of the projects and then determine if they even need to replace #3.

Bed bugs, bad HVAC, mold, etc. The places are disgusting. Hopefully when they renovated the even older ones like Cate, that they fixed of this stuff too because they were even worse.

Yes, Adams is currently empty and will soon be demolished.

The university bought the new Cross Center which more than off-sets the number of beds at Adams.

Thread Information