Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Agreed. I personally believe Gallogly was brought in to hatchet some costs and go after Boren. That might be my tin foil hat talking, but I'm just sayin.... Unfortunately I think it cost us some really good people at OU.
    Like the 1995 season with Howard Schnellenburger I usually just try to forget that the Gallogly experiment even existed

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Like the 1995 season with Howard Schnellenburger I usually just try to forget that the Gallogly experiment even existed
    Pretty good comparison.

I’m not sure if this will result in a new building built but its pretty impressive:

“ OU awarded $208M for severe weather research institute”

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/ou...8b7fcbf67.html

https://okcfox.com/news/local/ou-bec...ther-institute

Still would love to see a world-class meteorology museum across the street from the National Weather Center one day. This would further cement Norman as the meteorology hub of the U.S. ahead of State College and Atlanta, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Still would love to see a world-class meteorology museum across the street from the National Weather Center one day. This would further cement Norman as the meteorology hub of the U.S. ahead of State College and Atlanta, IMO.
    That would be really cool

Allot of great things being done at OU, but I’m hoping President Harroz can fulfill his strategic plan and elevate the States flagship university to AAU standing and improve its USNWR ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Allot of great things being done at OU, but I’m hoping President Harroz can fulfill his strategic plan and elevate the States flagship university to AAU standing and improve its USNWR ranking.
    Will be almost impossible if they don't get an exemption for the medical school being in a different city or county. And those are very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Will be almost impossible if they don't get an exemption for the medical school being in a different city or county. And those are very rare.
    Thanks for the information. I did not know that was a prerequisite.

i believe that is the primary reason that Nebraska lost AAU status, the research done at its med school no longer counted toward its stats ..

Was not meaning to sound rude, I promise.

I think the rule is really dumb. And I see no logical reason why OU should move their med school. I would hope the AAU would modernize their archaic rules.

Was not meaning to sound rude, I promise.

I think the rule is really dumb. And I see no logical reason why OU should move their med school. I would hope the AAU would modernize their archaic rules.
    Seems like they could do some research and offer classes in Norman if this was really a sticking point. Maybe OU Health can take over Norman Regional’s hospital on Porter

Seems like they could do some research and offer classes in Norman if this was really a sticking point. Maybe OU Health can take over Norman Regional’s hospital on Porter
    Why just throw away billions you have dedicated at OU HSC? I mean, OU is not swimming in funds right now, thanks to the state's crappy funding. Just throwing away what you have near Downtown isn't smart, in my opinion. The AAU is the entity that needs to change their stupid, archaic rules.

Why just throw away billions you have dedicated at OU HSC? I mean, OU is not swimming in funds right now, thanks to the state's crappy funding. Just throwing away what you have near Downtown isn't smart, in my opinion. The AAU is the entity that needs to change their stupid, archaic rules.
    How is CU-Boulder an AAU member if its medical school and HSC is in Aurora?

The AAU voted Nebraska out because agricultural research is “not considered as highly." That tells you all you need to know.

Just FYI, but 12 AAU member schools don't even have a medical school.

And one of the primary reasons Nebraska was dropped was due to the large amount of agricultural research which is not valued by the AAU standards.

How is CU-Boulder an AAU member if its medical school and HSC is in Aurora?
    they likely have enough research funding with out counting the med school

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...2c0e2e5e6.html

MARY RYAN
    The AAU dumped Nebraska essentially for two reasons.

First, the University of Nebraska’s medical school is at its Omaha campus, not the flagship campus in Lincoln. So, any federal research dollar, premier faculty member and publication in a prestigious journal from the medical school couldn’t be counted toward Nebraska’s AAU status.

Second, the university focuses heavily on agriculture research, a priority for a land grant institution. But in the eyes of the AAU, most agricultural research is not peer-reviewed, competitive research, so it is “not considered as highly,” AAU spokesman Barry Toiv said, compared with medical and economic research.

That sounds like an AAU problem, not a Nebraska problem. Agriculture research is hardly some trivial thing that doesn't matter in the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they likely have enough research funding with out counting the med school
    Right, this is the issue.

If the university on its own has tons of research funding, they don't need to rely on the medical school.

As for OU, the medical school is in the same metro area and only 20 miles from the main campus. The distance at Nebraska is 60 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just FYI, but 12 AAU member schools don't even have a medical school.

And one of the primary reasons Nebraska was dropped was due to the large amount of agricultural research which is not valued by the AAU standards.
    I would guess weather and energy-related research (specifically O&G research) might count negatively for OU. If agricultural research counts against Nebraska, then those might count against OU, since they aren't prestigious enough fields.

As for OU, the medical school is in the same metro area and only 20 miles from the main campus. The distance at Nebraska is 60 miles.
    it was pointed out to me via pm that part of the issue with nebraska was that their medical school is under a different organization than their main campus.

I would guess weather and energy-related research (specifically O&G research) might count negatively for OU. If agricultural research counts against Nebraska, then those might count against OU, since they aren't prestigious enough fields.
    You have absolutely no way of knowing that weather and oil & gas research would somehow be discounted.

Neither is remotely similar to agriculture.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that weather and oil & gas research would somehow be discounted.

I would say weather, energy and agriculture are some of the most important things to research and are integral to the advancement of mankind. But maybe not in the eyes of the "elite".

Well, the AAU seems very uppity. I mean, you could argue weather research is less competitive than agriculture, since there are far fewer top-level weather schools in the country.

And the educational elite are mostly liberal, and we know how they view O&G (as a hopefully dying form of energy).

Just reading between the lines. Not making anything as fact, just giving my opinion.

Thread Information