Widgets Magazine
Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: OU Projects

Blog Entries

Default Re: OU Projects

Filling student orient housing is tricky anyway. There is a fairly small window and not like renting apartments for general occupancy. You have to give them at least one full year before you can really gauge.

Overbuilding student housing is a problem all over the country at major universities. Student housing was very lucrative and that nearly always leads to an overbuilding cycle.

Looks there is a lawsuit over that project: https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/hous...616fff32e.html

That's not really surprising, Provident got screwed over hard with that arrangement.

I deleted a bunch of political posts.

5. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That's not really surprising, Provident got screwed over hard with that arrangement.
    And you know this, how? The lawsuit shows OU broke a verbal agreement on a very complicated financial arrangement. Who would make a verbal agreement on a very complicated financial arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    And you know this, how? The lawsuit shows OU broke a verbal agreement on a very complicated financial arrangement. Who would make a verbal agreement on a very complicated financial arrangement?
    It's a moral judgement of OU's actions, they clearly behaved in a dishonorable fashion even if it was completely legal.

The bonds do not obligate the state financially in a legal sense, but some believe a default might damage the state’s reputation and credit.
    And if this does end up damaging the state's credit that is an impact on all of us. There is a public interest in having our state entities operate fully above board in financial matters, and that includes not breaking verbal agreements.

Articles have stated that almost all of these types of arrangements have to be made with a verbal promise from the university to renew every year, because most are prohibited by their states from signing multi-year deals.

OU has done this many times before with other projects.

In this case, new leadership merely decided to say 'screw you, sue us' to this company. Legally OU can do that but it's a direct violation of what had been agreed upon. And it may turn out the verbal contracts are binding enough to force OU into paying this company.

Blog Entries

If this is upheld as a contract.... a verbal one, but a contract nonetheless, it could have a chilling effect on these types of private/public endeavors all over the country. If law prohibits the arrangements and verbal agreements like these are contracts, then that seems to be a violation to make this oral contract. Forcing this action could have many repercussions of unintended consequences.

9. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Articles have stated that almost all of these types of arrangements have to be made with a verbal promise from the university to renew every year, because most are prohibited by their states from signing multi-year deals.

OU has done this many times before with other projects.

In this case, new leadership merely decided to say 'screw you, sue us' to this company. Legally OU can do that but it's a direct violation of what had been agreed upon. And it may turn out the verbal contracts are binding enough to force OU into paying this company.
    Thanks, learned something new.

New hotel may be built:

2E95BBA9-69FB-4034-A305-8DAF5B17E0D3.jpeg

Located on S. University Boulevard, the NOUN Hotel would feature four stories, 92 rooms, a restaurant, two bars, meeting spaces and other amenities.
    - https://journalrecord.com/2020/05/06...hotel-near-ou/

*sorry for the limited details and low res pic as I have no subscription to JR.

11. Default Re: OU Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    New hotel may be built:

2E95BBA9-69FB-4034-A305-8DAF5B17E0D3.jpeg

- https://journalrecord.com/2020/05/06...hotel-near-ou/

*sorry for the limited details and low res pic as I have no subscription to JR.
    $25 million. Scott Lambert is the developer. Residents in the area having a city council meeting since they are not happy to have a tall building right by their homes.

Going to be an interesting fight.

Does anyone have any news re: the construction of the new softball stadium, I haven't heard anything in months.

Norman is just as bad if not worse than Edmond it seems with developments. Right by a major university, a dense urban campus district, almost every building proposed is fought tooth and nail. Many universities across the states have multiple mid rises. Norman is a town of 100+ thousand people in a metropolis of 1.4 million and if a 4 story building sits them wrong then perhaps they eye moving further out to the new fringes of the metro.

This is frustrating as two recent nice proposals came out on campus corner and both them were killed. Wtf...

HangryHippo Guest

Yeah, I'm not optimistic on that hotel at all. The Norman NIMBYs are already out in full force.

Love that hotel proposal, I've always said there needs to be a boutique hotel in Campus Corner.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Love that hotel proposal, I've always said there needs to be a boutique hotel in Campus Corner.
    I agree.

Wait, all I keep reading on other threads is that travel needs to be decreased, and how there may be fanless OU games. If that is the case, it seems weird for a hotel to be built right next to campus. I agree, it would be nice to have one. But I think that, at least for 2020, it will fail if it opens now. May be best served to wait til 2021.

^

OU only plays 6-7 home games per year.

I'm sure traffic would be driven by the university in general, especially since you could easily walk from this location to campus.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

OU only plays 6-7 home games per year.

I'm sure traffic would be driven by the university in general, especially since you could easily walk from this location to campus.
    Not to mention that it would be worlds better than the 'hotel' that OU sticks guests in south of the cafeteria - Sooner Suites I think?

The proximity to Campus Corner also makes the site highly desirable.

I bet they would do fantastic business and I'm surprised it's taken this long for such a project to come along.

Off the top of my head, Oklahoma State, Kansas (https://theoread.com/), and Texas A&M all have nice hotels on or near campus. I'm sure a similar hotel would succeed at OU.

Hopefully if this gets built it will spur long-needed redevelopment of the western half of Campus Corner along University Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Hopefully if this gets built it will spur long-needed redevelopment of the western half of Campus Corner along University Blvd.
    Have you not seen the two previous developments proposed in CC? Multi story residential and mixed-use, both fought tooth and nail, both canceled or in limbo. I hope this turns out different.

Kill a $25 million investment for a desired product close to campus because its 10 feet too tall. Those NIMBYS make so much sense...

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Kill a $25 million investment for a desired product close to campus because its 10 feet too tall. Those NIMBYS make so much sense...
    It will lower property values, increase crime, and Manhattanize Norman. /sarc

Thread Information